HiNet ADSL Hell

KenTaiwan98, thanks for that, lots of random things to test that don’t apply to me, or bear no relationship to the problem. If I had a loose cable HTTP would not be the only thing not working, and I don’t see how so many people would suffer from a broken cable at the same time.

Lots of Guanxi to anyone who can tell me what’s wrong and how to fix it. Guessing does not count, I’ve seen enough guessing in this thread. I want to hear a proper definate answer. Anything containing the word ‘try’ will be severely slapped.

[quote=“matthewh”]KenTaiwan98, thanks for that, lots of random things to test that don’t apply to me, or bear no relationship to the problem. If I had a loose cable HTTP would not be the only thing not working, and I don’t see how so many people would suffer from a broken cable at the same time.

Lots of Guanxi to anyone who can tell me what’s wrong and how to fix it. Guessing does not count, I’ve seen enough guessing in this thread. I want to hear a proper definate answer. Anything containing the word ‘try’ will be severely slapped.[/quote]

I think you forgot to mention what your problem was!

nope, it’s the problem that is being discussed in this thread, “The page cannot be displayed” in IE and a smilar error in Mozilla, isn’t it ?

set your browser to use Hinet proxy server:

proxy.hinet.net port 80

cheers,

Just certain pages/sites? Most pages/sites?
One of the common problems is that if you are trying to reach a site that’s located outside of Taiwan (say, US or UK), it takes time for the browser to load the page. Most browsers are setup to give you that error if x miliseconds are passed without receiving packets. The site could be too busy, the traffic could be high… etc.

Another reason is, as mentioned, the DNS servers in Taiwan from Hinet. If whatever server is cached in your system (which tells your computer to always go through them when you send a request to load a page), and if it’s down (or busy), it will return the same error message. You will know your cached DNS is down/busy if most of your page loads are errors (or half loads). Flushing it will help tell your computer to look for another DNS server for best routes.

[quote]set your browser to use Hinet proxy server:

proxy.hinet.net port 80 [/quote]

I’m sure you were trying to be helpful, but that was the worst suggestion fo the lot. I couldn;'t link to anything when I did that.

The problem for me is that I’m getting the ‘the page couldn’t be displayed’ pages about 1 click in 4. It’s usually pretty much instantaneous, although sometimes (about 1 in 10) it will take a long time. This soesn’t make any difference if I’m going to local or overseas sites, or even just going back to previous pages. Like I said, it seems to be a HiNet thing, as it’s not just me, and all was fine untila couple of months ago.

Brian

Did you try this? And does it still timeout?

I recently had ADSL installed. I was supposed to get a hub with the install package at around noon last saturday. the day before, the guys calls me up asking if he could come early. i said yes, and thought, that’s great. Not like waiting around in the US for a phantom DSL/telephone guy.
the guys shows up at my door at 845am.

Instead of the hub he hands me a 64mb flash drive. i ask him about my hub. he says this is much better, bs, bs. i said i didnt want it; i wanted the hub. but he says, that offer was replaced by the flash disk. the cheaper deal for a slower speed offered a webcam, so i ask for that. he [pretends] not to understand me, has me sign the form and leaves.

after a day or two of service, I notice that my adsl line is ok, downloads are moderate, not as fast as either my cable or dsl that ive had in CA. during some downloads, my connection has been reset. I dunno whose fault that was though.

i will try calling Chunghua for my damned hub.

I was on Chunghwa’s ADSL and there was one time we simply couldn’t connect to anything at all… when I phoned their service hotline, they said it was a problem at their back end, and fixed it a few hours later. They even followed up with a phonecall the next morning to check that things were ok.

But I started having similar problems around Feb/Mar this year. Things just seemed awfully slow. IE would claim common websites couldn’t be found. Sometimes a refresh would work; often, it wouldn’t. I couldn’t upload files to a photo-sharing site because the connections were just so bad. At the time I thought it was the site, but now I know better.

This month I switched to cable. I’m not technical enough to know what kinds of speeds I had with ADSL or with cable now, but it’s a lot faster, I don’t get any error 404s, and I have had no problems uploading photos.

Chunghwa seems to have a new promotion for ADSL services now. It’s probably cheaper than using cable, but I wouldn’t change back.

[quote=“matthewh”]KenTaiwan98, thanks for that, lots of random things to test that don’t apply to me, or bear no relationship to the problem. If I had a loose cable HTTP would not be the only thing not working, and I don’t see how so many people would suffer from a broken cable at the same time.

Lots of Guanxi to anyone who can tell me what’s wrong and how to fix it. Guessing does not count, I’ve seen enough guessing in this thread. I want to hear a proper definate answer. Anything containing the word ‘try’ will be severely slapped.[/quote]

Hey Matthew, I hear you! I had a similar problem a week or two ago when I called up my car mechanic and told him the car wouldn’t start. Bastard started giving me all kinds of shit – it MIGHT be that, it COULD be this, Have you tried xxx, etc. Listen mate, I told him. You’re a mechanic, right? So tell me what the fuck is wrong with the car. Don’t give me any of this “maybe” stuff. Prick said he’d have to look at it first! :unamused: Can you believe the nerve of some people!

If I the was the only one with that problem you would be prefectly correct. But many people have this problem that started at the same time, and it has been described many times, no need for me to describe it again. People has hinted that Hinet know what the problem is, but no-one will share it with us here, has it been looked at ? I don’t know, no-one here seems to have a straight answer.

I’ll repeat yet again that I am talking about the problem that is being discussed in this thread.

Hmm… but isn’t it the case for almost anything mechanical (or didigtal for arguement’s sake)? You don’t really know until you get your hands dirty and actually find out. I’d ask for a quote before he fixes/replaces anything though. And get it itemized and subtotaled.

Hmm… but isn’t it the case for almost anything mechanical (or didigtal for arguement’s sake)? You don’t really know until you get your hands dirty and actually find out. I’d ask for a quote before he fixes/replaces anything though. And get it itemized and subtotaled.[/quote]

Ummm, I think maybe you’ve got your sarcasm button in the “off” position. :wink:

Hmm… but isn’t it the case for almost anything mechanical (or didigtal for arguement’s sake)? You don’t really know until you get your hands dirty and actually find out. I’d ask for a quote before he fixes/replaces anything though. And get it itemized and subtotaled.[/quote]

Ummm, I think maybe you’ve got your sarcasm button in the “off” position. :wink:[/quote]
:blush: Indeed… I oughta upgrade my “sarcasm: morning edition” to 2.0 to fix this problem… :wink: Morning, NY time, that is…

Anybody know the IP address of Hinet’s DNS servers or a good local dns server program I can download ?

Umm…why do you need it? You definitely don’t want to run your own dns server…

ping dns.hinet.net
Pinging dns.hinet.net [168.95.1.1] with 32 bytes of data:

If you are running Linux or another Unix-like OS: Get djbdns (cr.yp.to/djbdns.html) and install dnscache. Don’t bother with Bind or MS’ DNS…

Umm…why do you need it? You definitely don’t want to run your own dns server…

ping dns.hinet.net
Pinging dns.hinet.net [168.95.1.1] with 32 bytes of data:[/quote]

Why not ? I ran a local DNS cache when I was in the UK and it speeded up my surfing slightly. My problem here is that I get a lot of “This page cannot be displayed / DNS error” messages when surfing and I am looking for a solution. Could it be that Hinet’s DNS server is crap ? I don’t know. I’m not talking about running a public DNS server (sorry my original post wasn’t clear), just a DNS cache for me.

dns.hinet.net is 5 hops away from me. In the UK, my dns server was at most 3 hops away.

Is this what you are looking for?

webattack.com/download/dlfastnet.shtml

It stores a local table of DNS-IP addresses and instructs your browser to check that table before asking the DNS at your ISP. This results in a local search without generating TCP/IP network traffic at all.

I found it on

xp-erience.org/

A search in the forums should bring up all the info you need.

I used to use it but havn’t recently. I think I suffer from the same Hi-net problem as you do. It’s pop up free too!

Ah, now I understand. Have you tried manually setting your DNS servers to the hinet dns IPs? I suspect that the DNS timeouts are because the Hinet DNS server can’t get a response from higher authorities…most likely a problem of limited bandwidth.