Hinet ADSL won't work through router

I’m living in an apartment where my landlord provides the internet for me. He gave me a username and password for hinet dynamic ip. There is a cord coming into the apartment so i have no modem in my actual apartment. I am able to plug the cord directly into my computer and connect to the internet fine.

The problem is when I try to connect through a router or a hub so my roommate can get the internet also. When I try connecting through a router it says it wasn’t able to access the internet even if when i put in the username and password during the setup of the router. So I tried hooking it up just through a hub/switch then when I try to connect to the internet my computer says it was unable to establish a connection. I’ve tried using a crossover cable also but nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any ideas about how I can get this to work? Thanks

You probably have a Wan port connection to the net (this means there is a router hiding somewhere that you don’t have access too). The only thing I know that will work for sure is to set up a home server and have other computers hook up to it. You can try having your computer act as the router by hooking the second computer up to your second lan port in a “Daisy chain”.

Got it? Pm if you need more clear destructions.

Impossible, it must work … I have a router on one adsl line and a switching hub on another and it works, one line is an adsl modem the other is the newer modem/router combination they use … even the MOD of CHT works through the hub …

But, when attaching your router you need to tell your computer to go through a LAN and the best is to set your router to automatically detect your computers IP # (dhcp or something), and assign your computer an IP number … and the router must be set as PPPoe connection which is were you need to put your username and password … CHT is HN****@ip.hinet.net, leave the HN part off …

We both have laptops so there is only one LAN connection on each. Is there another way to connect them together without using the lan that would work? I am not sure how to assign my computer an ip. I think it is a dynamic ip conection so we have a username@hinet.net I’ve tried setting up the router using the pppoe but i don’t know how to find an ip address to assign to my computer.

When you set the LAN inside your router to DHCP it will assign a IP number to your computers I believe … so you need to set-up your windows networking to go through your LAN so don’t set any IP there … your routers WAN need to be set to PPPoe with username, password … normally hinet will assgin your router the IP and secondary DNS, gateway and stuff when logging on …