Hinet DSL and Linux

Hinet’s DSL (at least the type my place has) requires that one run a program to set up the connection each time the computer is turned on. Unfortunately, the only version of the program that I know of runs on MS-Windows.

Is there a version for Linux? Can the program be run under WINE and still function? Can I set up the connection on a Windows box, then change all the settings in the Linux box to match it and swap the ethernet wire to the second machine?

Google + PPPoE + Linux = What you’re looking for I think.

I’m pretty sure the distro I’m using came with one.

buy a router - not too expensive anymore and you’ll be connected all the time + it’s safer :slight_smile:

[quote=“miltownkid”]Google + PPPoE + Linux = What you’re looking for I think.

I’m pretty sure the distro I’m using came with one.[/quote]
Buggering hell. It worked. Thanks man!

I use a Windows 98 at home still. and I hate that hinet program. My wife bought a new computer with XP on it and it doesn’t need to use it. I was hoping that one of the newest Linuxes would be able to do without it.

XP has to do it too, it might just be setup so you don’t notice it. Linux can be setup the same way. If you got a router, the router would do it for you and you’d never notice anything (making sure you got a router that could do that of course).

[quote=“MaPoSquid”][quote=“miltownkid”]Google + PPPoE + Linux = What you’re looking for I think.

Buggering hell. It worked. Thanks man![/quote]

Glad it worked, though it’s kind of a drag that not every distro uses the same method (which means there’s no straightforward answer to this question). Out of curiosity, which distro are you using?

[quote=“Dog’s_Breakfast”][quote=“MaPoSquid”][quote=“miltownkid”]Google + PPPoE + Linux = What you’re looking for I think.

Buggering hell. It worked. Thanks man![/quote]

Glad it worked, though it’s kind of a drag that not every distro uses the same method (which means there’s no straightforward answer to this question). Out of curiosity, which distro are you using?[/quote]
Knoppix 3.7 EN

Any distribution CAN use the same method; the PPPoE client is freely downloadable from the Roaring Penguin website. At most you would need to install their client.

roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/

In Knoppix’s case, I just type “pppoeconf”, hit enter a bunch of times, and enter the ID and password. It remembers it permanently (or until I reboot), so I just have to type the startup and shutdown commands (which “pppoeconf” mentions, haven’t used them yet so I don’t remember them offhand).

So, the commands turn out to be “poff” and “pon dsl-provider” (“dsl-provider” is literal, not an option to be replaced with an ISP name or whatever; the “pppoeconf” script uses that identifier to name the PPPoE connection). Works like a charm.

Well, better than a charm, since from all I have ever read, charms are invariably fraudulently created artifacts foisted upon credulous fools by scam artists claiming magickal abilities that never pan out. But let it pass.

question for my hinet I constantly don’t receive email that the senders sent…I have them send to hinet and yahoo…and yahoo receives but not hinet…this happens once awhile to different senders…is this a problem with hinet? do they just lose emails or what…should I write them a letter will it do anything? or just forget about it maybe change to a diff provider? thanks

XP has to do it too, it might just be setup so you don’t notice it. Linux can be setup the same way. If you got a router, the router would do it for you and you’d never notice anything (making sure you got a router that could do that of course).[/quote]

Check out RAS PPPOE if you’re still running an old OS that doesn’t have PPPOE built in. I used to use it on Windows ME and it was much better than the ISP’s driver.

With XP just use the new network connection wizard to set up a PPPOE connection. If you select ‘automatically connect’ then it will come up without you needing to do anything.