Hinet DSL Router (TECOM AR4031B)

Does anyone have experience with this router? I cant find any English manuals on the net, and it did not come with any either when the guy installed it for me.

I am trying to get into the “setup”, but I have no idea what the IP to type in the web browser is, and ipconfig does not show any gateway for the router.

Also, while using this, if I run bit torrent transfers I have to limit the “global max connections” to 35, otherwise the rest of my internet connection stops working. Its doesnt like having too many connections open I guess, but I am not sure if its a Win98 problem, or the router problem.

Can anyone advise?

It’s in chinese, but the important stuff like the IP and passwords you should be able to understand:

pczone.com.tw/showthread.php … genumber=1

I have the exact same model. Though I haven’t tried to modify the setup, I’ve found that the three computers plugged into the router can all “see” each other just fine - that is, I can ping and copy files between the machines with standard Linux/Unix commands. I have assigned static addresses to all my machines.

I’m not sure if this router (if it is a router - might just be a switch) has a built-in firewall - anything you can find out along those lines I’d appreciate knowing. I have my own firewall installed on all my computers so that isn’t terribly important, but it would still be useful to know.

regards,
Robert

try winipcfg
it will show you all details of your lan connection
the gateway is the ipadress of your router

I’m wondering exactly why one would need to configure the modem’s firmware?

All you need to do to get your LAN set up is to set a static address on each client machine - should be 192.168.0.x where x is a number from 1 to 254. But you don’t need access to the modem’s setup firmware - just set your static address in Windows (or Linux/BSD as the case may be). If you have two or more computers connected to the modem, be sure that you don’t have two with the same static address. In all cases, netmask should be 255.255.255.0. You can also assign a hostname to each machine (“Bush, Kerry, Nader,” for example) and a domain (“bedlam.com”, or whatever) - again, no need to access the modem’s firmware.

Other than setting static addresses, hostnames and domain on your client machines, you needn’t do anything else - all the machines connected to the modem should be able to “talk” to one another, as well as talk to the Internet.

Or maybe I’m misunderstanding Punx’s original question. Apologies in advance if I’ve got it wrong.

regards,
Robert

well set up the router or the firmware is not the same thing

Most routers have much more abilities if you use the firmware supplied by the producer than the modified firmware from the Internet provider.
I just know that the asus dsl modem can work as a dhcp server and firewall if you unlock those features.

Well I tried those IP’s listed in that other website, but doesnt work, have also tried all combinations of other popular router IP’s, but nothing works. I have also done winipcfg, and the “gateway” field is actually either blank (when not connected to internet), or the IP that Hinet assigns me (when connected).

The reason I wanted to check/change some settings is I was going to mess around with port forwarding and also see if there are any settings that are affecting my ability to have more than 40’ish connections open at once before the internet starts crapping out.

[quote=“Punx”]Well I tried those IP’s listed in that other website, but doesnt work, have also tried all combinations of other popular router IP’s, but nothing works. I have also done winipcfg, and the “gateway” field is actually either blank (when not connected to internet), or the IP that Hinet assigns me (when connected).
.[/quote]

than you dont have a router
your lan card is connected to the dsl modem ( yes i know it is not really a modem) so you only get an ip when you are online