Hip-hop culture and language

[quote=“SteveZeAuthor”]Yo I be checkin out the boards and sht and I see yous peeps giving mah nigs a hard time with his gramma and sht. What the fck up with that, yo? Yous damn old asses done gone lost yo damn minds. Next thing you be knowin you old asses gon be bangin on my style. Well, all I gotta say to that is bring it on btches! Come and get down wit dis bad mofo!

:laughing: :stuck_out_tongue: :sunglasses: :wink: :slight_smile: :notworthy:

The sad thing is, that people where I come from who are around my age or younger actually talk like that. Some of them are even worse. Oh how the rap culture has spread…yikes. :raspberry:
[/quote]

When I go to some car-related or PC game forums in US, that kind of “hip-pop” talk is all over the screen. :laughing:
You know, even local teenagers here try to embrace hip-pop culture and invent some slangs in Chinese.

Which we Westerners find hilarious. Nice yellow kids trying to ape ghetto black styles…it’s even more awkward than when whitebread WASPs do it.

Yes - we are laughing AT you, not WITH you. :laughing:

Haha. I’ve heard of this too from some of my local friends. The way some of the teenagers around here dress and act. Don’t even get me started with the basketball kids I see on the weekends when I go shoot some hoops. Talk about impressionable. Sheesh.

LOL. Yes indeed, ML. Try having a younger sister who has bought into this crap. I can’t understand a damn word she says anymore. :bluemad:

The funniest thing is that you know if any of those hip-hop kids ever actually walked the streets of a black inner-city ghetto in America they’d be shitting their pants in fear. Heck, I’d be afraid to go to plenty of those places after dark…I hate the way that hip-hop culture tries to romanticize such bullshit.

I sense a thread schism coming on. :wink:

And true enough to the letter, ML. Don’t get me wrong, I love hip-hop music and have for a long time. But all it seems like now is a bunch of, as you put it, romanticized bullsh*t about being a “ghetto child” and being involved in all of that kind of crap. And the youngens eat it up like a Saigon whore (i know that is REALLY cliche…haha). Anyway, it’s all a far cry from the good old days of Funkmaster Flash and the Sugarhill Gang. :raspberry:

C’mon guys don’t take Asian and white kids trying to imitate their hip-hop heroes that seriously. Sure it’s funny to see kids walking on the streets with their pants almost ready to fall down, and listening to the speech of these wanna be rappers is painful to the ears, to say the least.

However, this is nothing new. Kids have been doing this for decades. In the '50s, you had young people putting on their leather jackets and trying their best to be another James Dean. . In the '60s, many of the “flower” children were following the trends set by Hendrix, Joplin and others. '70s gave us disco dancers in polyester suits, and guys and gals gender-bending.

So, today’s young people will grow up, get married, get jobs and realize that rap music sucks (my opinion) and that what they thought was sooo cool today is not appealing anymore.

[quote=“cableguy”]
However, this is nothing new. Kids have been doing this for decades. In the '50s, you had young people putting on their leather jackets and trying their best to be another James Dean. . In the '60s, many of the “flower” children were following the trends set by Hendrix, Joplin and others. '70s gave us disco dancers in polyester suits, and guys and gals gender-bending. [/quote]

What did kids in the '80s do? Nothing special, I think.

Actually, I wish I could have the chance to be part of the flower generation. When I was a graduate student in US, my advisor still wore hippie clothing and she’s over 50. And I think it’s pretty cool.

“You ever go over to your good friends’ house
And the food just ain’t no good?
I mean the macoroni’s soggy, the peas are mushed
And the chicken tastes like wood.”

Now that’s rappin’!

Or Gil Scott Heron.

“I remember what I said about Ray-Gun
Acted like an actor
Hollyweird”

or

“Attila the Haig
Frantically running around
declaring himself ‘in control’
and ‘in charge’.
The ultimate realization
Of the lunatics
Taking over at the asylum”

Download B-Movie today.

Having lived in Whistler/Blackcomb for most of the 90’s, I was party to plenty of these conversations when stuck with snowboarders in Ganjalas and on chairlifts or in the taxis I drove. The fashion, the language, always thought it completely laughable. I have to say tho; I do like the reworking of classic tunes into hiphop tho. Kinda get’s this grandaddy of a rocker’s ears of the little ear-sized beanbag chair that they’ve been camped in since the Lynyrd Skynryd crash…when the real music died.

But the language???

Just like sick yo, like totally heinous yo, yo yo yo yo yo yo yo…beeyatch!

Cybertai,

Come on; the 80’s contribution was big-hair new-wave bands like Flock of Seagulls and the Human League. Aaah…those were the days! :sunglasses:

CK

Ha! Don’t forget Duran Duran and Wham! By the way, I love Tears for Fears.

I know a thing or two about what’s “cool.” Like Fonzie. Kids love the Fonz. Heyyyyy…

[quote=“cybertai”]
What did kids in the '80s do? Nothing special, I think. [/quote]

Tiffany, Madonna, Pat Benetar…Michael Jackson’s silver glove, white socks and red leather jacket with all the chains and zippers on it…

:noway:

Damn, I was only in kindergarten and even I remember that.

Personally, I think what’s popular today really sucks. And yes, I am only 24 years old. Even the 90’s were better than the 00’s have been so far. Where are you going to get people who actually have the multiple talents of Paula Abdul (choreographer in addition to her singing career), prodigious voices like Tevin Campbell (gold single at the age of 12), Monica (platinum single at 14 years old), or Leeanne Rimes (first Grammy for a song she recorded at the age of 13), and the charisma to fake it as well as Milli Vanilli did? Music turned in the 90’s by 1994 with the advent of grunge and hip-hop. It’s 2004, and there hasn’t been any real original trend in music that could define the 00’s.

Oops, I think this tangent of a thread could be headed for yet another tangent…