Hip-hop in Taiwan, should I bring a record crate?

Hello all,
I’ve recently gotten my visas/flights etc all completed and ready for departure on the 27th. Its exciting to be heading back to Asia and Taipei looks like an exciting city. I was wondering though if anyone has any information on the hip-hop scene? I’m a hip-hop DJ and producer and want to continue making music while there. One issue is that Im quite torn whether to bring my record crate or not? Or if anyone has experience with this? it is quite heavy and not much fun, esp. dragging all my other luggage around. Is it worthwhile, does anyone know if there is a vinyl rich scene or is it all CDs now?
Also, does anyone have any info on hip-hop in general in Taipei? websites? studios? clubs?etc.

Hopefully someone may have a few answers, if not, this looks like a cool website for expats to check out for info or ask any questions that might come up.

Are you from Canada?

sure am!

Ha, every Canadian in Taiwan is a DJ! Is DJing 101 a course requirement?? I have always wondered this.

I had no idea there were so many Canadian DJs,
at least not traveling to Taiwan!

so does that mean tehres opportunites for playing or theres a hundred million canadians walking around with demos? I don’t even Dj as much as produce records anymore, but I thought it would be fun to get back into spinning parties while there. Also like to meet some rappers oversees to work on music with!

No, not like in the west.

I’m totally not into hip-hop, but you could check recent posts in topic 43026 about vinyl.
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=43026

There’s this column in the Taipei times titled “World of Vinyl” or something, covering many music styles and what’s going on in these scenes, probably also hip-hop. I don’t know if this is on the online TT archive though.

I’ve met lots of Western DJs who play gigs in clubs here, but very few who make any real money out of it.

money Im not worried about, I don’t make any here, I don’t expect to make any there, just love doing it!

Bring your records. A friend of mine from the west coast hip-hop scene is DJing in Taiwan now actually. Mostly corporate parties and the occasionally Luxy-type venue; it’s starting to take off for him now after about four years of hustling it.

Taiwan has a pretty abysmal music scene, though hip-hop is quite popular with the young’uns and there are some good DJs. All the best stuff is DEEP underground. For some reason, the general population is almost willfully clueless about music. Weird. It’s not like there aren’t talented musicians there though; the best music I heard in Taiwan was from the election day drummers. Those guys can really bang some hot beats. I have no idea why that sensibility doesn’t find its way into locally produced music or taste.

Good luck! Oh, and bring your records.

oh good, just what we need, another canadian dj :sunglasses:

what we really need are mongolian throat singers and proponents of the abyssinian nose flute…they’re a bit thin on the ground over here…

ever heard of mp3?

mp3?

you mean the compressed files that are smile in file size, low in audio quality that sound terrible over a clubs sound system.

Yeah heard of them, I think they play in some sort of pod like structure?

[quote=“locdogjr”]mp3?

you mean the compressed files that are smile in file size, low in audio quality that sound terrible over a clubs sound system.

Yeah heard of them, I think they play in some sort of pod like structure?[/quote]

I meant no slight by my earlier question at all. Though I’m more than a bit surprised that a number of my fellow Canadians are coming over to Taiwan to DJ. I’m from Toronto and I’ve worked most of the bigger clubs (Guvernment, Fluid, Meow, Inside, This is London, Red, Shock, 108, Atlantis, Papparrazi and Polazzo) in the uptown and downtown core as a doorman from 1997 to 2004 before I got to Taiwan.

I have to say, unfortunately, that I’m a tad embarrassed that there are so many Canadian DJs in Taiwan who I know, without a doubt, are lack luster. I’m no hater but I call’em like I hear’em.

I worked for a club as a go between that had ‘Friday Boys’ dancing for bored house wives in Taiwan at an area called The Zone. There was one dude, from Poland, who was the finest amateur DJ that I’ve ever heard - incredible style - unique - hard hittin - happy. We’d let him play between his dance sessions and after the club had closed. Amazing house/trance/break beat DJ. He’s now in London working as an orderly and is still starving to break into the scene as a top notch DJ. Go figure? He worked parties back in Krakow (sp?) and other festivals yet It’s too damned bad that he didn’t have the connections to work Luxy or other establishments. He was well worth it. Well worth it…

There’s like what? 5 to 6 guys in Taiwan, Taipei City trying to live it up and moon light as a DJ after teaching kindie? sigh…I wish them well and I hope they get better. If only the locals knew. Goes to show you that you can be mediocre and still make some coin from Asia.

Good luck and all the best!

Im not trying to go to Taipei and make my millions being a DJ, and Im not megasuperstar wannabe. Just a dude who knows good rap and likes spinning, truthfully Im more interested in finding some rappers out there and continuing to work on new music, since producing is what I love the most.
Odd though, that theres a Canadian DJ stereotype! Would of thought Brits and Americans more so.

You might want to check

taiwannights.com/

for clubs.

Bring your records and pray that airport customs doesn’t smack you with a nice little duty to pay, like they did to my friend. Also remember it is illegal for you to DJ at clubs (even if you are doing it for free) if you are on a work permit/visa for something else.

are you telling me 320kbps sounds low quality? :no-no:

Especially sounds like those from hi-hats or cymbals sound bad even at those bitrates. There’s just no decent compression that can capture those sounds.

thanks for all the advice!!!

320 is ok, it will work, but still not as crispy

[quote]Taiwan has a pretty abysmal music scene, though hip-hop is quite popular with the young’uns and there are some good DJs. All the best stuff is DEEP underground. For some reason, the general population is almost willfully clueless about music. Weird. It’s not like there aren’t talented musicians there though; the best music I heard in Taiwan was from the election day drummers. Those guys can really bang some hot beats. I have no idea why that sensibility doesn’t find its way into locally produced music or taste.
[/quote]
naijeru

Yes, abysmal! Too bad, there are some skilled people in many fields, a lot of them leave, wrong environment. The Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz environment.