Hiromi - rocked-out new jazz tomorrow (Thurs) night

In addition to Chung’s post in this thread about the upcoming jazz concerts in Taipei, I think the Hiromi Uehara performance deserves its own special mention.

The major performance venues in Taipei have a pretty good record of bringing innovative dance and performing arts groups, but a dismal record in terms of new jazz and contemporary classical music.

The Hiromi Uehara concert tomorrow night at the National Concert hall looks to be one of the few exciting new-jazz events in Taipei since John Zorn’s Masada came about a decade ago. There are still tons of seats available. I hope more people will turn out to show the organizers that there really is an audience for new original jazz. Incidentlly, Hiromi’s guitarist David Fiuczynski is one of the world’s hottest guitarists (whether jazz, rock, or fusion – check out his own band the Screaming Headless Torsos).

2008/8/28
Hiromi Uehara Quartet, National Concert Hall, NT$1400 - NT$3000
Line-up:
Hiromi Uehara (piano); Tony Grey (Bass); David Fiuczynski (guitar); Martin Valihora (percussion).

artsticket.com.tw

Thank you for reminding me so sweetly that I’m working tomorrow evening. :raspberry:
Hopefully I’ll be able to get to McCoy Tyner’s show, but that’ll be it for me, more’s the pity. :frowning:

[quote=“Rotalsnart”]In addition to Chung’s post in this thread about the upcoming jazz concerts in Taipei, I think the Hiromi Uehara performance deserves its own special mention.

The major performance venues in Taipei have a pretty good record of bringing innovative dance and performing arts groups, but a dismal record in terms of new jazz and contemporary classical music.

The Hiromi Uehara concert tomorrow night at the National Concert hall looks to be one of the few exciting new-jazz events in Taipei since John Zorn’s Masada came about a decade ago. There are still tons of seats available. I hope more people will turn out to show the organizers that there really is an audience for new original jazz. Incidentlly, Hiromi’s guitarist David Fiuczynski is one of the world’s hottest guitarists (whether jazz, rock, or fusion – check out his own band the Screaming Headless Torsos).

2008/8/28
Hiromi Uehara Quartet, National Concert Hall, NT$1400 - NT$3000
Line-up:
Hiromi Uehara (piano); Tony Grey (Bass); David Fiuczynski (guitar); Martin Valihora (percussion).

artsticket.com.tw[/quote]

man it was packed out last night…obviously hiromi has a large taiwanese fan base…great gig too with some frenetic playing by the girl (think of bjork meets keith jarrett).

its a pity CKS refuses to set up a PA for these gigs…electric jazz cant rely on monitor speakers and natural acoustics…it should have been much louder…fortunately i was 5 rows from the front so could hear fiucynskis guitar straight from his fender twin.

[quote=“the bear”]
man it was packed out last night…obviously hiromi has a large Taiwanese fan base…great gig too with some frenetic playing by the girl (think of bjork meets keith jarrett).

its a pity CKS refuses to set up a PA for these gigs…electric jazz cant rely on monitor speakers and natural acoustics…it should have been much louder…fortunately I was 5 rows from the front so could hear fiucynskis guitar straight from his fender twin.[/quote]

Yeah, I kept wishing it were louder too. (I was in the 11th row). But what energy by Hiromi, what an exhilarating performance by all four musicians. Still feeling the rush today. Great playfulness and interplay between the musicians. Electric jazz doesn’t get much hotter (in every sense) than that.