Historic Buildings in Taipei

Someone mentioned the lack of old buildings in Taipei in another thread and got me thinking. Of the handful historic buildings in the city, which ones do you appreciate? Have you discovered any old, historic buildings around town? Where is it located?

Though I’m no expert on the various architectural styles, I enjoy looking at old buildings. One of my fave is the old Land Bank across the 228 Park, a.k.a. New Park, on the corner of GuanQian and XiangYang Rd. It’s a stone monolith done in the classical Greek style. The thing looks like something you’d see at the Acropolis. Sometimes I just stand across the street and behold its beauty, but the passersby seem to give it little attention. Any others?

chilian (Qili’an) subway station, after getting off cross the street towards the mountain and walk straight up the lane next to the mountain, it’s a whole row of old-style taiwanese houses, too close to the mountain to ever be rebuilt i guess. there’s a franganpani tree next to the park entrance, nice.

I guess the old buildings in this town are few and far between given the lack of response here. Thanks dalton for not leaving me hanging.

Does anyone know if there’s any connection between the two Hong-Lo (red tower)? I’m referring to that octagonal brick building behind the Tower Records in Ximending and that three-story brick building (now a restaurant) perched on a hill in Danshui. Both are called HongLo. Both are around a century old and nicely restored.

The one in Danshui is called Hongmaocheng I think. Dihua Street is good for old buildings, especially the northern part of it.

No, Hongmaocheng, a.k.a. San Domingo Fort, is located on the outskirts of the town. It was built by the Spaniards in the 17th century. The Honglo I mentioned is located in the heart of the town. You turn into a tiny alley, go up some stairs and you’ll find it up on a hill. It’s a much younger building than San Domingo.

I don’t know if these qualify as historic buildings, but I love the old one-story buildings (Japanese style? or from the Japanese era?) that have yards and trees and gradens.

I have seen some near Shi Da, in the lanes and alleys behind the old MTC. There used to be a bar on Chaozhou Jie, I think, one of the Lu Dan bars, that was in an old house.

I’ve also noticed some old buildings by Hanzhou (sp. ?) Lu, where a lot of the beef noodle restaurants are–kind of south of CKS.

To be honest, I haven’t combed the city looking for these types of buildings. But it is always a pleasant surprise when I come across one, or a couple in a row.

I imagine Wanhua District or the area near Dihua Jie may have some of these buildings.

In the Ang Lee move Eat Drink Man Woman, the family lived in one of these houses. I’ve always wanted to live in one, but have heard that they are hard to maintain, especially the ones with the old tile roofs.

Does anyone know if the people living in these houses own them? Or, as I have heard, many are the property of different government departments and the homes were given to employees to use as a perk?

[quote=“fee”] There used to be a bar on Chaozhou Jie, I think, one of the Lu Dan bars, that was in an old house.
[/quote]
Man, I miss that place. It was a perfect combination of the old (architecture, furniture) and the new (huge selection of imported beer). In the block southwest of Jianguo and RenAi, you’ll find a similar place in the first alley off Jianguo. But the ambiance is just not the same.

[quote=“fee”]
Does anyone know if the people living in these houses own them? Or, as I have heard, many are the property of different government departments and the homes were given to employees to use as a perk?[/quote]

Some of the ones around Shida used to be for academic staff. I have heard that the remaining ones are government owned, but would certainly like to live in one too. If restored with a loving touch, then they would be great to live in.

The locals don’t seem to like them all that much, claiming that they smell of rotting wood inside, but that’s just a question of defumigation, if you ask me.

That a majority of them are governement-owned makes sense to me. The privately-owned ones are likely to have been torn down, as the land they are placed on is very valuable.

At intersections along Zhonghua South Road near Ximen Ding are carved granite markers in the sidewalk. They describe (in Chinese and Chinglish) the impressive old-style buildings that used to be there…

Don’t think there’s much of a connection between the two Hong Lous… The one in Ximending was built by the Japanese, but I don’t think the one you are talking about in Tanshui was. But whatdoiknow? I like them both, although the one in XMD has been tarted up a bit. How is the food at the one in Tanshui?

[quote=“Mr He”][quote=“fee”]
Does anyone know if the people living in these houses own them? Or, as I have heard, many are the property of different government departments and the homes were given to employees to use as a perk?[/quote]

Some of the ones around Shi-Da used to be for academic staff. I have heard that the remaining ones are government owned, but would certainly like to live in one too. If restored with a loving touch, then they would be great to live in.

The locals don’t seem to like them all that much, claiming that they smell of rotting wood inside, but that’s just a question of defumigation, if you ask me.

That a majority of them are governement-owned makes sense to me. The privately-owned ones are likely to have been torn down, as the land they are placed on is very valuable.[/quote]

A lot of people have a form of squatters’ rights on these, they can live there but are not allowed to rent them out.

How do you get to live in one, then?

There must be a way.

Don’t think there’s much of a connection between the two Hong Lous… The one in Ximending was built by the Japanese, but I don’t think the one you are talking about in Tanshui was. But whatdoiknow? I like them both, although the one in XMD has been tarted up a bit. How is the food at the one in Tanshui ?[/quote]
The Honglou in Danshui contains two restaurants: a traditional Chinese restaurant on the first floor and a Western style coffee shop on the top floor. Food is average, but most people go there for the nice river and mountain view that you can get from the balcony of the top floor while you enjoy your taramisu.

Someone just pointed out to me another Honglou, the main administrative building on the campus of Jianguo Boys High School on Nanhai Rd. She said there may be a connection with the classical Chinese novel, Dream of the Red Chamber, or Hong Lou Meng.

[quote=“Incubus”]
Someone just pointed out to me another Honglou, the main administrative building on the campus of Jianguo Boys High School on Nanhai Rd. She said there may be a connection with the classical Chinese novel, Dream of the Red Chamber, or Hong Lou Meng.[/quote]

Hmm, I don’t think so. Hong Lou (

So that is the sum total of historic buildings? Figures…

The Honglou in Ximen Ding was a theatre and a cinema in the old days. The Honglou Fort in Tamshui was the old English embassy, maybe also Spanish or Dutch fort too. I can’t remember all the details.

There is also the quite beautiful red castle in Tamshui with nice views of the estuary, that was possibly built by a tea merchant. Can’t remember all the details.

Yeah! Why doesn’t Taipei get its act together and build some more!

Yeah! Why doesn’t Taipei get its act together and build some more![/quote]

$

Yeah! Why doesn’t Taipei get its act together and build some more![/quote]

$[/quote]

Yeah, plus they wouldn’t be too historical if they were only a few months old.

It’s only forty years old, but it’s an interesting building - the Luce Chapel at Tunghai University.

It’s one of the early works of Chinese American architect I. M. Pei. I saw in recent news that the Taichung city government is planning to build a road right next to it. :unamused: Goes to show the kind of priority that Taiwan authorities place on architectural preservation.