Historic Buildings in Taipei

I think the old theatre in Ximending they ‘renovated’ has been transformed from a potentially stunning reno into a ghastly (both inside and out) Taiwan take on sympathetic restorations.

The zhongshan hall looks good.

That’s an old building. There’s a few of them on the Shita campus as well.

Moreover, Down where I live you will see a few old farms, who are either restored or have been kept well. They look good.

The old house near Daxi is another good example of an old restored house. It’s not finished yet, but it’s all original materials, from what I can see.

I enjoy walking around Mackay’s Oxford College in Tamsui and then finishing up at the Spanish fort. They’ve put in a nice cafe on the school grounds.

[quote=“Mr He”]The zhongshan hall looks good.

That’s an old building. There’s a few of them on the Shi-Da campus as well.

Moreover, Down where I live you will see a few old farms, who are either restored or have been kept well. They look good.

The old house near Daxi is another good example of an old restored house. It’s not finished yet, but it’s all original materials, from what I can see.[/quote]

Mr He, we’ll have to agree to disagree. The cafe/first level entrance to the old theatre in Ximending is a disgrace, an embarrassmnet to interior design.

Has anyone seen that cool 1960’s (?) Jetsons style hotel near Daxi?

A couple of recommendations for those who like the old Japanese-style houses:

Wistaria House on Xinsheng S. Rd. south of the Heping intersection, a tranquil two-story tea house that often holds talks and seminars on literature and the arts.

The former mayor’s residence on Xuzhou Rd. near Hangzhou S. Rd., a similar deal but has a restaurant, small book store and gallery.

[quote=“AWOL”][quote=“Mr He”]The zhongshan hall looks good.

That’s an old building. There’s a few of them on the Shi-Da campus as well.

The old house near Daxi is another good example of an old restored house. It’s not finished yet, but it’s all original materials, from what I can see.[/quote]

Mr He, we’ll have to agree to disagree. The cafe/first level entrance to the old theatre in Ximending is a disgrace, an embarrassmnet to interior design.

Has anyone seen that cool 1960’s (?) Jetsons style hotel near Daxi?
[/quote]

There are two historic theatres in Hsimending - The Red House Theater, and Chungshan Hall. Chungshan Hall still retains much of it’s old charm. The wooden doors and windows are all original … the hallways and passages remain as they were when the Chiangs frequented the facilitiy. A few years ago the city did do some work on the building though, but this was limited to replacing the old flooring and dated lighting tracks in the concert hall.

Some other buildings that I’ve always liked: Sungshan Cigarette Factory, Taipei Guest House, Taipei Provincial Museum, Museum of Contemporary Art, President’s Office, and the old Taida Hospital. It’s really too bad there isn’t the political will to take on the Capital Plaza project. Andres Perea?, the winner of the design competition, had a absolutely amazing vision for the space directly infront of the president’s office.
http://www.capitalplaza.taipei.gov.tw/a5.asp

Here’s a rendering of the new Sungshan sports and cultural park. Sadly, it doesn’t seem like there has been any effort to blend the modern stadium into the historic surroundings.
http://udn.com/NEWS/FINANCE/FIN1/1656855.shtml

I like how it’s stately but still approachable (unlike the Presidential building). A lot of history behind this building. That’s where they signed the official documents when the Japanese surrendered in '45. I also like the plaza and the Sino-Japanese War Monument in front of it (when it’s turned on, that is, with the falling water and lights).

The old Taiwan Cooperative Bank building is another gem in that area. Just follow the cobblestone street out to Hengyang Rd, and it’s on your right-hand side.

It’s one of the early works of Chinese American architect I. M. Pei. I saw in recent news that the Taichung (Taizhong) city government is planning to build a road right next to it. :unamused: Goes to show the kind of priority that Taiwan authorities place on architectural preservation.[/quote]

It’s in the middle of a private campus, how can the city put a road there? Well, there’s already a road running right in front of it and another not far from the side, and the women’s dormatories and the music deptartment are on the other two sides, so where are they going to put a road?

This report in China Times says Taichung city mayor Jason Hu is the first to say no to tearing down Luce Chapel. But notice he never denied that there won’t be any development around the site. Tunghai University students have started a movement on campus to protect the chapel.

ec.chinatimes.com/scripts/chinat … 6&Single=1

I noticed scaffolding has been put up on the Executive Yuan building on the corner of Zhongxiao and Zhongshan for renovation work. What baffled me was that the sign on the scaffolding says “national historic relic.” How can that ugly building be a relic? I can see the Control Yuan building across the street as a bona fide historic relic, but the Executive Yuan building?

I’m not sure when the building was constructed, but if it was before 1950, it’s likely considered a historic site. Here’s the link to the Cultural Bureau’s website - the historical gems are listed by district on the left side of the page.
http://163.29.37.148/culture/historic/detail01.asp?ID=42

It dates back to the Japanese occupation.

It’s considerably more interesting on the inside, though the interior is run down, too. It’s amazing how ratty looking some of the offices are for the ministers without portfolio. And the whole place could certainly use some new carpet. The building is shaped like a ri (as in Riben/Japan); the gardens on the inside are nice – except during mosquito season.

Very interesting. I understand the Presidential building is also of the same shape. I wonder if it’s a purely utilitarian design (to let sunlight into the interior offices) or is it meant to be a symbol of imperial Japan. :?:

The city hall in Frederiksberg, where I lived for some years before moving to Taiwan is shaped like a

At least with Taipei City Hall it’s not hard to guess the origin of the Double-ten shape.

Very interesting. I understand the Presidential building is also of the same shape. I wonder if it’s a purely utilitarian design (to let sunlight into the interior offices) or is it meant to be a symbol of imperial Japan. :?:[/quote]Does the presidential building still have those 2 great big KMT symbols built into those spaces ?

:imp: Personally, I think that all the Japanese occupation buildings should be demolished.
Protecting the alien dwellings of a conquering interloper is rubbish. :imp:

And the dismantling the 70-year-old Chungshan Bridge, another Japanese occupation gig, was a colossal waste of taxpayer money. Look at the thing – its just a bunch of pored concrete. It has absolutely no value at all. Now it sits in pieces until they find somewhere to put it back together (at our expense). :imp:

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]Personally, I think that all the Japanese occupation buildings should be demolished.
Protecting the alien dwellings of a conquering interloper is rubbish.[/quote]
You’ve got a point, but look around and consider whether the new buildings might really be an improvement. :?

South Korea tore down the Japanese-era government buildings there, I’ve heard. I think it took them quite a while before they were all gone, though.

The south Koreans dod so and Seoul is none the prettier for their labor and waste of taxpayer money.

The japanese did build some OK buildings, I am not sure that the buildings put up by the KMT are any better - honestly they are much worse.

Though the KMT didn’t do as the Koreans did, they did get rid of that Japanese shrine which used to sit on top of Yuanshan (where the Grand Hotel is today). Unless they are a blatant reminder of your former enemy, historic buildings are artworks in and of themselves IMHO. Most of the Japanese occupation buildings give no signs of Japaneseness anyway; they are European in origin (baroque, antiquity, etc).