Whoa…talk about showing your age! :grin:

There are many other non chili spices

It make you sweat

1 Like
4 Likes

The Columbia Records exchange? :thinking:

Did they preform in Taiwan? Seems so.

1 Like

Yes, black pepper and long pepper are still used regularly in Indian cooking. Possibly they had others in antiquity that have disappeared.

The problem with historical recipes is that it’s often hard to identify what a word means, and some things may have simply become extinct because people lost interest in cultivating them. This springs to mind:

Spanish fly?

:drooling_face:

3 Likes

I don’t think they did. Japan many times including the legendary Fuji Rock gig when they played on as a typhoon hit the site.

Are you using the word America in a normative way, from the English speakers perspective???

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/usage-of-the-word-america

Capsicum fruits have been a part of human diets since about 7,500 BC, and are one of the oldest cultivated crops in the Americas
Chili pepper - Wikipedia

Just for you to know, certain giant rat might have a heart attack if he reads you writing in that fashion.

All of the Red Bot Chili Paupers are American.

Well except for Slovak who was born in Israel.

1 Like

True, true…

Luckily, or not, the story of long pepper being taken over by regular peppercorns is simply down to yield and growth habits. Its still around but only from areas with cheap land and low labor costs. Much like many things. Anyone who has had spicy hotpot (real ones with natural ingredients) has had long pepper. And it is fantastic!

2 Likes

Long pepperes are great

1 Like

I’ve been on the lookout for long pepper plants but never seen it anywhere. Is it grown in Taiwan?

I have contacted, met and bought many ablkng pepper story here but they have also been ither species of Piper. It does apparently grow, but wverytine i have asked to see plants or pictures they are not. I think its a case of assumptions an ignorance mostly.

If you do ever find any and are willing to share, i will certainly pay well for confirmed plants. With the virus i have not been to fly out tocollect specimens for a couple years, and those governments are insanely annoying to work out phytosanitary and export permissions.

That said, long pepper cant work commercially in taiwan due to land cost and extremely high labor costs. Even P. nigrum barely works as a higher yielding niche specialty organic product.

1 Like

Long weekends too!