Hitchens: A Death in the Family

Heard about this on the Slate political gabfest podcast.

[quote=“Vanity Fair: Christopher Hitchens”]I was having an oppressively normal morning a few months ago, flicking through the banality of quotidian e-mail traffic, when I idly clicked on a message from a friend headed “Seen This?” The attached item turned out to be a very well-written story by Teresa Watanabe of the Los Angeles Times. It described the death, in Mosul, Iraq, of a young soldier from Irvine, California, named Mark Jennings Daily, and the unusual degree of emotion that his community was undergoing as a consequence. The emotion derived from a very moving statement that the boy had left behind, stating his reasons for having become a volunteer and bravely facing the prospect that his words might have to be read posthumously. In a way, the story was almost too perfect: this handsome lad had been born on the Fourth of July, was a registered Democrat and self-described agnostic, a U.C.L.A. honors graduate, and during his college days had fairly decided reservations about the war in Iraq. I read on, and actually printed the story out, and was turning a page when I saw the following:

"Somewhere along the way, he changed his mind. His family says there was no epiphany. Writings by author and columnist Christopher Hitchens on the moral case for war deeply influenced him … "

I don’t exaggerate by much when I say that I froze. I certainly felt a very deep pang of cold dismay. I had just returned from a visit to Iraq with my own son (who is 23, as was young Mr. Daily) and had found myself in a deeply pessimistic frame of mind about the war. Was it possible that I had helped persuade someone I had never met to place himself in the path of an I.E.D.? Over-dramatizing myself a bit in the angst of the moment, I found I was thinking of William Butler Yeats, who was chilled to discover that the Irish rebels of 1916 had gone to their deaths quoting his play Cathleen ni Houlihan. He tried to cope with the disturbing idea in his poem “Man and the Echo”:

Did that play of mine send out
Certain men the English shot? …
Could my spoken words have checked
That whereby a house lay wrecked?

Abruptly dismissing any comparison between myself and one of the greatest poets of the 20th century, I feverishly clicked on all the links from the article and found myself on Lieutenant Daily’s MySpace site, where his statement “Why I Joined” was posted. The site also immediately kicked into a skirling noise of Irish revolutionary pugnacity: a song from the Dropkick Murphys album Warrior’s Code. And there, at the top of the page, was a link to a passage from one of my articles, in which I poured scorn on those who were neutral about the battle for Iraq … I don’t remember ever feeling, in every allowable sense of the word, quite so hollow…[/quote]
Hitchens goes on to detail meeting with the family, and wrestling with questions over his responsibility for the young man’s death.

I’ll leave it there for you to read.

Thanks, Jaboney.

Wasn’t that what Soviet war propagandists did when their own “wars of liberation” inevitably started to go awry? Created mythic war heroes of pure virtue as a last refuge to shield them from accountability?

Also by Christopher Hitchens:

“One of Lenin’s great achievements, in my opinion, is to create a secular Russia. The power of the Russian Orthodox Church, which was an absolute warren of backwardness and evil and superstition, is probably never going to recover from what he did to it.”

I don’t think that’s fair to Hitchen’s article, spook, particularly given Hitchen’s views on magical thinking (in all its forms).

[quote]As one who used to advocate strongly for the liberation of Iraq (perhaps more strongly than I knew), I have grown coarsened and sickened by the degeneration of the struggle: by the sordid news of corruption and brutality (Mark Daily told his father how dismayed he was by the failure of leadership at Abu Ghraib) and by the paltry politicians in Washington and Baghdad who squabble for precedence while lifeblood is spent and spilled by young people whose boots they are not fit to clean. It upsets and angers me more than I can safely say, when I reread Mark’s letters and poems and see that—as of course he would—he was magically able to find the noble element in all this, and take more comfort and inspiration from a few plain sentences uttered by a Kurdish man than from all the vapid speeches ever given. Orwell had the same experience when encountering a young volunteer in Barcelona, and realizing with a mixture of sadness and shock that for this kid all the tired old slogans about liberty and justice were actually real. He cursed his own cynicism and disillusionment when he wrote:

For the fly-blown words that make me spew
Still in his ears were holy,
And he was born knowing what I had learned
Out of books and slowly.

However, after a few more verses about the lying and cruelty and stupidity that accompany war, he was still able to do justice to the young man:

But the thing I saw in your face
No power can disinherit:
No bomb that ever burst
Shatters the crystal spirit.[/quote]

Badly quoting someone much more eloquent than I…

“Its a good thing that wars are such terrible things, lest we become to fond of them”

Hitchens has no responsibility here, as far as I can see. If he honestly argued his position on Iraq , then whatever actions others may take do not bear on Hitchens. Ultimately, a man’s actions are his own. Americans are as free to believe in the Iraq war as they are to turn their backs on it. This kid believed, as others of us do.

Soldiers die. That seems especially tragic because the media wants to run and cover every funeral or get to every grieving mother in her living room and say “Why did your son have to die?” Ludicrous stuff that people focus on because their own lives are empty of anything meaningful. Soldiers die. I understood that during my nine years in service, and I think the majority of soldiers in uniform today understand it.

This Daily kid acted on his own set of principles, and died for it. That’s tragic, in the sense that he leaves behind a family who will mourn him. But soldiers die, and when you sign up, you don’t get to pick your assignments, a la this lieutenant prick who had his court martial delayed by a ridiculous federal court.

God bless the memory of Daily. He did what he thought was right.

Hitchens appears to feel differently. I appreciate the fact that he holds some measure of guilt for this man’s death, demonstrating a sense of moral responsibility that I haven’t seen from the Bush/Rumsfeld crew. Whatever one feels about this war, the following quote from Daily’s writings says a lot about the character of Daily and the soldiers in Iraq:

[quote]Consider that there are 19 year old soldiers from the Midwest who have never touched a college campus or a protest who have done more to uphold the universal legitimacy of representative government and individual rights by placing themselves between Iraqi voting lines and homicidal religious fanatics.
[/quote]

I think this line should be used in a non-partisan campaign to get Americans to vote. If it can’t convince people to fully participate in the electoral process, nothing will.

What sense of moral responsibility are you looking for? I think people who have not been in uniform (no idea if you have or not) don’t understand that people who volunteer to serve do not look for anyone else to accept moral responsibility for the choice the soldier made to enlist. I doubt Mr. Daily, would hold Mr. Hitchens accountable for his death. Mr. Hitchens, having never served and having never known the moral life of a soldier (I’m a Hitchens fan, and know of his several stories written from very near the line of fire in different war zones, but that’s hardly the same thing), is having an understandably compassionate moment for a single human life, but I doubt Daily’s family would want Hitchens to put himself through this. But maybe that’s too presumptuous on my part. Who knows…

Soldiers die, indeed.
If we spent precious time going back over what they read or felt, it would not make their death any more real or poignant to ANY of the REMF’s that make it up all later. Let alone the gullible guppies amongst the civvies.

[quote=“jarhead”]D.I. Fitch: Swofford!
Anthony ‘Swoff’ Swofford: Sir, yes, sir!
D.I. Fitch: You the maggot whose father served in Vietnam?
Anthony ‘Swoff’ Swofford: Sir, yes, sir!
D.I. Fitch: Outstanding! Did he have the balls to die there?
Anthony ‘Swoff’ Swofford: Sir, no, sir!
D.I. Fitch: Too fucking bad! He ever talk about it?
Anthony ‘Swoff’ Swofford: Sir, only once, sir!
D.I. Fitch: Good! Then he wasn’t lying! [/quote]

Indeed.
There It Is.

[quote=“Jaboney”]I don’t think that’s fair to Hitchen’s article, spook, particularly given Hitchen’s views on magical thinking (in all its forms).

[quote]As one who used to advocate strongly for the liberation of Iraq (perhaps more strongly than I knew), I have grown coarsened and sickened by the degeneration of the struggle: by the sordid news of corruption and brutality (Mark Daily told his father how dismayed he was by the failure of leadership at Abu Ghraib) and by the paltry politicians in Washington and Baghdad who squabble for precedence while lifeblood is spent and spilled by young people whose boots they are not fit to clean. It upsets and angers me more than I can safely say, when I reread Mark’s letters and poems and see that—as of course he would—he was magically able to find the noble element in all this, and take more comfort and inspiration from a few plain sentences uttered by a Kurdish man than from all the vapid speeches ever given. Orwell had the same experience when encountering a young volunteer in Barcelona, and realizing with a mixture of sadness and shock that for this kid all the tired old slogans about liberty and justice were actually real. He cursed his own cynicism and disillusionment when he wrote:

Out of books and slowly.

However, after a few more verses about the lying and cruelty and stupidity that accompany war, he was still able to do justice to the young man:

No power can disinherit:
No bomb that ever burst
Shatters the crystal spirit.[/quote][/quote]

Jaboney, how would you summarize the point Hitchens is making in his article?

I’m not necessarily looking for anything, I simply appreciate Hitchens’ conscience. The issue for me isn’t whether a soldier holds Hitchens morally responsible for his death, but whether Hitchens, a proponent of the war, holds himself morally responsible as he reflects on a possible connection between his words and Daily’s death. I’m impressed by Hitchens’ self-examination, which is something I haven’t seen much from other strong advocates of the war.

Apologies, spook. I don’t think there’s a “point” so much as a trajectory. If I’m to be clear, I’ll have to explore it, not summarize.

First, upon hearing of this tragedy, Hitchens flips to Yeats’ reflection on the influence of his play, Cathleen ni Houlihan, which Irish rebels recited on their ways to the gallows and firing squads:
Did that play of mine send out
Certain men the English shot? …
Could my spoken words have checked
That whereby a house lay wrecked?

While always a patriot, Yeats became decidedly ambivalent about the use of violence, and his early role inspiring it. That’s reflected in “Man and the Echo”. It’s also echoed in Hitchen’s own statements on what this war – for which he so loudly beat the drum – has become:

“As one who used to advocate strongly for the liberation of Iraq (perhaps more strongly than I knew), I have grown coarsened and sickened by the degeneration of the struggle: by the sordid news of corruption and brutality (Mark Daily told his father how dismayed he was by the failure of leadership at Abu Ghraib) and by the paltry politicians in Washington and Baghdad who squabble for precedence while lifeblood is spent and spilled by young people whose boots they are not fit to clean.”

Consider the words Hitchens later chose for the memorial service:

Your son, my lord, has paid a soldier’s debt;
He only lived but till he was a man;
The which no sooner had his prowess confirm’d
In the unshrinking station where he fought,
But like a man he died.

There are libraries overflowing with attempts to read into Shakespeare some grand moral, but ultimately all seem to fail, save this: Shakespeare sees great value in our virtues – truth, nobility, love. fidelity – but the full extent of their value is found in how they bind us one to another, and shape the character of our lives, because in the end, all we have is one another. We need one another: “Why are we robbed of his contribution?” And for that reason, we must be good to each other: “One thing I have learned about myself since I’ve been out here is that everything I professed to you about what I want for the world and what I am willing to do to achieve it was true. … My desire to “save the world” is really just an extension of trying to make a world fit for you.”

When one dies in service to another – in the exercise of those virtues – that’s the ultimate affirmation of those values and of the esteem in which we hold our fellows. But such recognition is but a hollow monument. Death ends the ends those virtues serve, and a corpse has no character of its own. We’re left with a hollow echo, and that’s no compensation: it only makes the absence felt. Which Hitchens --certainly no believer of justice and reunion in the afterlife – recognizes.

Your cause of sorrow
Must not be measured by his worth, for then
It hath no end.

Shifting gears, consider the passage Hitchens cites from Daily’s letter:
Shaking his head as I attempted to articulate what can only be described as pathetic apologetics, he cut me off and said “the difference between insurgents and American soldiers is that they get paid to take life—to murder, and you get paid to save lives.” He looked at me in such a way that made me feel like he was looking through me, into all the moral insecurity that living in a free nation will instill in you. He “oversimplified” the issue, or at least that is what college professors would accuse him of doing.

Simple rustic insight, isn’t it? And true, so far as it goes. Hitchens knows how far it goes, and neither cuts it short, nor over-stretches it.

Now, that closing quote from Orwell: it’s entirely consistent with, and perfectly sums up the sentiments expressed earlier, uniting Yeats’ & Hitchens’ disillusionment with the Kurd’s overly-simple truth –

Out of books and slowly.

– and also with Shakespeare’s sorrowful affirmation of the truth of virtues professed, forgotten, rediscovered.

No power can disinherit:
No bomb that ever burst
Shatters the crystal spirit.

And that too is true. It’s nobility incorruptible, utterly lost, naive, and no conclusion at all.

Hitchens knows this is a tragedy, not a romance or comedy. There is no happily-ever-after, no deus ex machina to untangle the threads. He’s far too intelligent not to see that – when his intelligence is checked, that is, slowed, and made to consider all (not merely all he thinks he knows). And I believe he acknowledges as much in this article: “I don’t exaggerate by much when I say that I froze. I certainly felt a very deep pang of cold dismay. I had just returned from a visit to Iraq with my own son (who is 23, as was young Mr. Daily) and had found myself in a deeply pessimistic frame of mind about the war.[…]I don’t remember ever feeling, in every allowable sense of the word, quite so hollow.”

No conclusion, no point, but a purpose: to eulogize and do justice to the man, and his family. Given my reading of the article, and drawing on Shakespeare myself, I think the opening of Sonnet 94 captures that well:

They that have power to hurt, and will do none,
That do not do the thing they most do show,
Who, moving others, are themselves as stone,
Unmoved, cold, and to temptation slow;
They rightly do inherit heaven’s graces,
And husband nature’s riches from expense;
They are the lords and owners of their faces,
Others, but stewards of their excellence.

The final lines also apply: to “the degeneration… the sordid news of corruption and brutality… the paltry politicians… who squabble for precedence while lifeblood is spent and spilled by young people whose boots they are not fit to clean. It upsets and angers me more than I can safely say…”, to those who have forgotten or abused whatever virtues they once possessed:

The summer’s flower is to the summer sweet,
Though to itself, it only live and die,
But if that flower with base infection meet,
The basest weed outbraves his dignity:
For sweetest things turn sourest by their deeds;
Lilies that fester, smell far worse than weeds.

I don’t believe Hitchens’ characterization of Daily is meant to glamourize or ennoble the colossal failure of the war in Iraq, nor to excuse his own part in the prelude to this personal tragedy. If anything, Hitchens is clear that pure gold’s been paid, willingly; that the goods sought were (nearly?) worth the price; that those goods have not been delivered; and that specific men are culpable, both for promising too much, and for their utter failure to deliver.

Having written all that, I now realized I could have said it much easier referencing Vonnegut:
You’ve got to be kind.
So it goes.
I’m sorry.

“Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”
– Samuel Johnson

And the Internet is a playground for hate mongers and trolls.

Which isn’t to say that it doesn’t also – differently and better – serve decent folk.

I would be interested in knowing your definition of hate-monger, because it seems to me that those on your side (and I can only judge by your posts that you and I come down squarely on opposite sides of the Iraq issue) consider all those who support the war to be hate-mongers. Perhaps you don’t. I’m curious.

I was once labeled a hate-monger by a rather sad Canadian who overheard me saying that I thought Britain’s hate-speech laws were unnecessary and ridiculous, just before I went on to say that one should not be tossed into jail for uttering certain racially-loaded words in public. I took the Canadian’s rebuke as a joke, until he stood up and thundered away that all racists ought to be jailed. He was not open, in any way, to my explanation that I simply loved freedom more than I hated the racist.

And just to stay on point in this thread… I rather enjoyed your lengthy analysis of the Hitchens piece. Kudos…

So did I.

:bravo:

HG

[quote=“the_average_white_man”]I would be interested in knowing your definition of hate-monger, because it seems to me that those on your side (and I can only judge by your posts that you and I come down squarely on opposite sides of the Iraq issue) consider all those who support the war to be hate-mongers. Perhaps you don’t. I’m curious.[/quote]I’ll have to consider my own definition, and at the moment I’m too beat to do so. For the moment, suffice to say that I was speaking in generalities, and not in reference to this thread or site.

[quote=“the_average_white_man”]And just to stay on point in this thread… I rather enjoyed your lengthy analysis of the Hitchens piece. Kudos…[/quote]Thanks. You’re more than welcome to take issue any points you think are off-base.

[quote=“spook”]“Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”
– Samuel Johnson[/quote]
“In Dr. Johnson’s famous dictionary, patriotism is defined as the last resort of a scoundrel. With all due respect to an enlightened but inferior lexicographer, I beg to submit it is the first.”
-AMBROSE BIERCE