Hitting the Lanyu Roads on Two Wheels With No License

In Hualien and Penghu you can easily rent a scooter without a license. How about Lanyu?

1 Like

why should we give you tips on how to do something illegal?

rent an e-scooter(don’t know if they require a license) or a bike, lanyu isn’t that big.

1 Like

Dude, there are tons of shops in Hualien that have no problem renting a scooter to whomever. Right in broad daylight. The police don’t care. Get off your moral high horse and get on a Kymco Two-Stroke.

3 Likes

i’ve got a license so i’ll ride my moral high horse as long as i want to. :cowboy_hat_face:

8 Likes

The problem is that this breaks forum rules if it’s illegal.

4 Likes

which it is.

easiest solution, just find someone who actually has a license and spend the time with him/her.

4 Likes

What if the goats chase you? Need that 125cc of raw getaway.

4 Likes

if goats start to chase you, you probably deserve it.

1 Like

Hence the need for speed. :goat: :motor_scooter:

3 Likes

never had a problem getting a scooter in lanyu with no license.

I’ve never seen in lanyu the ebikes they rent to mainland tourists in kenting.

get a license or avoid lanyu if goats scare you :smile:

just as easy to kill yourself on an ebike IIRC a mainland tourist did kill himself in kenting with an ebike.

shit happens everywhere.

i just think we shouldn’t encourage illegal behavior on this forum here. everybody’s b*tching about the chabuduo mentality in taiwan, it’s obviously there but we shouldn’t encourage it.

8 Likes

In the day, we’d send a PM. :grandpa:

2 Likes

you mean a message in a bottle or a pigeon.

4 Likes

When I visited Lanyu, wanted to rent a bicycle but the woman kept trying to get me to rent a scooter. When I told her I don’t have a license, she said it doesn’t matter and continued trying to get me to rent a scooter. It took her a while, but she eventually relented and told me where I could rent a bicycle.

5 Likes

I’d use a lost pidgeon

If you live in Taiwan, can’t you get a licence? I mean the written test is easy, the ride around the obstacle course is a joke, and it’s cheap too. Right? Right?

3 Likes

I’ve been to every major accessible offshore island in Taiwan, some several times. They’re awesome! And yes, they are much more flexible with renting scooters without a license. Sometimes, like in the case of Xiju ( 西莒島) and Dongju (東莒島) you simply park the scooter at the dock with the keys in the ignition when returning it.

That said, the big question is: Do you want to risk the complications, as a foreigner, if you get into an accident without having a license? I myself have never wanted to risk this.

As others have said, if you’re in Taiwan longer than a tourist then you should just go get your scooter license. It’s great for peace of mind, easy rentals anywhere, and feeling like a responsible resident.

3 Likes

What’s a license? :innocent: