HIV: is there a problem among students/young people?

Let me just fix that.[/quote]

but when I compare with Europe, it’s 10000x worse here.

I suggest you don’t move anywhere west of Europe.

Proximity to the event. It’s far easier to be rational and cautious after breakfast at 8:00am than it is in the midst of passion.

You never fail to astound with your insight. :bravo:

Proximity to the event. It’s far easier to be rational and cautious after breakfast at 8:00am than it is in the midst of passion.[/quote]

Certainly it is. But are the girls going to bother remembering, and are the guys only going to have sex with the girls on birth control? Remember, it’s not like the girls requested birth control pills. They only care when they have to face the consequences.

You never fail to astound with your insight. :bravo:[/quote]

what? you never watch Taiwan TV news? :eh:

what? you never watch Taiwan TV news? :eh:[/quote]
You misunderstand. I wasn’t being sarcastic. I was commending you on your observational skills and adept analysis. :bravo:

what? you never watch Taiwan TV news? :eh:[/quote]
You misunderstand. I wasn’t being sarcastic. I was commending you on your observational skills and adept analysis. :bravo:[/quote]

and that should be irony, am I right? :neutral:

[quote=“JFP”]

and that should be irony, am I right? :neutral:[/quote]
No, not at all. I’m one of your greatest admirers. :thumbsup:

Truly, you’re at the cutting-edge.

[quote=“jimipresley”][quote=“JFP”]

and that should be irony, am I right? :neutral:[/quote]
No, not at all. I’m one of your greatest admirers. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Oh ok, thank you very much :bow:

白癡…

I certainly don’t. I didn’t watch Australian news when I lived in Australia either. I went very happily without a TV for 12 years. The only reason why I have one now is to watch DVDs.

What about the more health battering disease Hep C?

HIV is (almost) classed as a chronic disease now (where there is access to drugs of course).

U.S. hospital is a filthy skank!

VA hospital may have infected 1,800 veterans with HIV

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]
U.S. hospital is a filthy skank!

VA hospital may have infected 1,800 veterans with HIV[/quote]
Failure to properly clean medical instruments? Yeah, I’d say that filthy skank is a pretty accurate description.

[quote=“european”]What about the more health battering disease Hep C?

HIV is (almost) classed as a chronic disease now (where there is access to drugs of course).[/quote]
Good point. Although, I had a friend who worked in an AIDS ward (basically where terminally ill AIDS patients came when they were near the end), and the one common denominator (apart from dying of AIDS related complications) amongst all of them was that apart from being HIV+ they all had two, three or more other STDs.
As she told it, when doctors at her hospital got a positive for an or more STDs they immediately sent the blood in for an HIV test.

As to the situation in Taiwan, who’s willing to bet that if it becomes an epidemic, the uninformed and rabid media will be quick to seize on, “You see!! It’s the foreigners we’ve been letting in all these years!” Because everyone knows “foreigners” are the only immoral ones who get HIV/AIDS! (Yeah, the vast majority isn’t even aware we have to pass an HIV test, or any sort of medical test, annually to qualify for an ARC/APRC/JFRV.)
And this speaks to education, in that most people seem oblivious that “a nice traditional Taiwanese boy/girl” could ever possibly have such a thing as an STD. Hence the blase practice of condomless sex, and the use of abortions for birth control.
It’s only in Taiwan where girls have told me, “You don’t need to use a condom. It’s my ‘safe’ time.” :astonished:

Interesting topic. A quick Wikipedia search dug this up:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIV/AIDS_in_Taiwan

Looks as if Taiwan isn’t that much different from other Asian countries as far as stats. Highest incidents occur in those who share needles and have unprotected sex.

While surely the people who take risks with their health (and the health of others) need to change their attitude, the government agencies responsible also need to re-evaluate how they are effecting the spread of the disease. Check out this video:

ted.com/talks/lang/eng/eliza … nal_1.html

That info is out of date (2006).

More exact figures:
cdc.gov.tw/lp.asp?ctNode=244 … DSD=7&mp=5

[quote=“bismarck”]As to the situation in Taiwan, who’s willing to bet that if it becomes an epidemic, the uninformed and rabid media will be quick to seize on, “You see!! It’s the foreigners we’ve been letting in all these years!” Because everyone knows “foreigners” are the only immoral ones who get HIV/AIDS! (Yeah, the vast majority isn’t even aware we have to pass an HIV test, or any sort of medical test, annually to qualify for an ARC/APRC/JFRV.)
And this speaks to education, in that most people seem oblivious that “a nice traditional Taiwanese boy/girl” could ever possibly have such a thing as an STD. Hence the blase practice of condomless sex, and the use of abortions for birth control.
It’s only in Taiwan where girls have told me, “You don’t need to use a condom. It’s my ‘safe’ time.” :astonished:[/quote]

Yep, it’s exactly like this :bravo:

[quote=“JFP”][quote=“bismarck”]As to the situation in Taiwan, who’s willing to bet that if it becomes an epidemic, the uninformed and rabid media will be quick to seize on, “You see!! It’s the foreigners we’ve been letting in all these years!” Because everyone knows “foreigners” are the only immoral ones who get HIV/AIDS! (Yeah, the vast majority isn’t even aware we have to pass an HIV test, or any sort of medical test, annually to qualify for an ARC/APRC/JFRV.)
It’s only in Taiwan where girls have told me, “You don’t need to use a condom. It’s my ‘safe’ time.” :astonished:[/quote]

Yep, it’s exactly like this :bravo:[/quote]

The same they do with enterovirus, measles, etc… whatever virus that crops up.

It all comes down to personal responsibility -or lack thereof.