HK: Bottoms Up

Last call soon for Hong Kong’s Bottoms Up in Tsimshatsui

[quote]Bottoms Up, Hong Kong’s most storied strip club which featured in a James Bond film and was the subject of an indecency crackdown, is to close, a bar insider told AFP.

The seedy bar in the Kowloon tourist district will pull down its shutters for the last time in April, the member of staff said Monday.

Bottoms Up opened in May 1971 and quickly established itself at the heart of the city’s racy nightlife. In its heyday its clientel included visiting stars like Peter Sellers, George Peppard and Gregory Peck.

The bar became an institution after it was featured in the 1974 James Bond flick, “The Man With the Golden Gun”. Bond star Roger Moore returned to the bar on subsequent visits to the former British territory.

In 1994 it lost a court battle to prevent the government removing its saucy naked-buttocks neon sign as part of an obscenity crackdown. The ruling also forced the naked dancers to cover up with bras or negliges.

The staff member wouldn’t say why the bar was closing but reports in local media say rising rents had made it impossible to keep going.

The source said a new Bottoms Up would be opened in the former red-light district of Wan Chai across Victoria Harbour on Hong Kong island.[/quote]

The deadly combination of usurious landlords and the morality police have made it too expensive to continue. Too bad. It was a real HK institution.

Sad. Very sad.

Not the closing of it. The bar itself. Only tourists went there anyway; hard-core locals went to Red Lips just round the corner. Also very sad but a hoot if you were pissed enough. Especially before the renovation (10 years ago) when the avaerage age of the girls was about 60. It was a parody of itself.

[quote=“TpeBob”]Sad. Very sad.

Not the closing of it. The bar itself. Only tourists went there anyway; hard-core locals went to Red Lips just round the corner. Also very sad but a hoot if you were pissed enough. Especially before the renovation (10 years ago) when the avaerage age of the girls was about 60. It was a parody of itself.[/quote]

Yeah, it was so cheesy it had a certain charm to it. It was good for “slumming”. :laughing:

Well be of good cheer everyone:

Now, we have Carnegie’s to go to in Taipei. Seems almost just as good/bad! :smiling_imp: Take that Bob Marshall! haha

:raspberry:

Ingrate. After all that bloody wine I gave you two weeks ago. This is the thanks I get? I am going to have to put a consortium together and have Bottom’s Up re-opened and have you permanently placed there buying “lucky drinks” for Colombian women working there.

Ingrate. After all that bloody wine I gave you two weeks ago. This is the thanks I get? I am going to have to put a consortium together and have Bottom’s Up re-opened and have you permanently placed there buying “lucky drinks” for Colombian women working there.[/quote]

Heck, give me enough drinks and I’ll oogle anything in a slinky dress. :laughing: