HK to Ban Single Use Plastic Straws

Nor do liners, lids, wrapping for utensils and even the more highly weighted plastic forks. Likely the plastic knives get recycled more than say forks, just on basic logistics of washing and sorting. This is really a shame on human civilisation the amount of bullshitbthay surrounds recycling. But I digress, easily Google a bull…!

If the issue isn’t plastics, why are straws an issue? Plastics are a massive problem. The elephant in the room is products not having easily separable types of plastics. Example. A coke bottle has a lid, a seal, a label, glue for the label and the bottle itself. Although this represents a logistical jughtmare for recycling, it is in fact probably some of the easiest to recycle plastic products.

Let’s now move onto the glue point. Aside fro. Glas being heavy and breakable, it’s easily the most reusable and recycleabke product we currently have for most things (especially health care and food related). Stick on that glue and label, things get tricky easy. Easy solution, make labels not attach. Enter fraud. FDA type organizations, for good reasons, frown upon this type of thing. Due to exactly that. Fraud. Also contamination. Case in point: raw organic produce must be wrapped and packaged or people get fined. It creates so much waste for such a counter productive purpose.

Those thin shirty plastic wraps, especially with labels glued onto them, cannot be recycled. At least not realistically with current forms and choices. We, as a country, certainly could make this packaging requirement more clean and safe…it would eb nice. Probably isn’t even that hard. But so far, we don’t, and plastic waste is still the norm. So I do feel plastics are the issue. I. The se se gkvernemnt regulation is too stupid, companies are too cheap and customers are just as stupid as the government policies. If not more so.

Especially today, 2024, it’s easy to say no. I say it every time. “By yong, wo hwai Jia che”. Or whatever the pinyin is. “Thanks, I don’t need. I am going home to eat”. Every taiwa ese eatery accepts this and it is no longer taboo and face losing to deny taking their crap. It used to be, it is no longer the case. “Just say no”. But smile and face save it. Easier than walling up their steps.

This is a sad truth. many consumers feel they need to ignore reality about and choose to buy anyway. No point claiming ignorance, we are too informed now. No excuses.

The amount of packaging that goes on BEFORE being on the shelf is already a disgrace. It’s not joke proof positive our species is not intelligent and frankly dumb as all fuck. Unless we thunk loads of pollution and garbage is net positive. Those people, albeit wrong, can at least justify their purchases :face_vomiting:

We see containers wrapped in plastic, protected with cardboard, put into a box, wrapped in loads more plastic onto a wooden or plastic pallet then shipped across the globe. And that’s just basic level SOP.

We can do better. We should do better. We should be mandated to do better. But the governemtn gives zero fucks either until people stand up and insist. They will knee jerk into action once society gives half a fuck.

Where did you hear this? This is news to me.

EPA and recycling stations, which I go to one to two times weekly as well as have meetings with EPA folks about packaging materials 2 or 3 times annually.

Outside of those farces of meetings, I see first hand my recycling getting thrown out daily just with basic waste disposal. Both company and personal. The small stuff simply does not get separated.

The only way to change this joke is to regulate manufacturing of packaging materials.

It really shouldn’t be. Loads of this stuff can’t be recycled (or economically recycled). It’s just wishcycling.

Lol i say the same. Then i asked my gf about it she said even if you take it home its easier to take and use those wooden chopsticks and plastic spoon because you don’t need to wash them.

I ain’t gonna even entertain a conversation on how you should talk to your lady. Other than some logic needs some surfacing :hugs:

Convenience is the poor persons way of delaying pain. Some may call this regret. But pain must be realized before the regret actually sinks in.

In her defense she was simply explaining the reason why Taiwanese have this habit.

1 Like

That’s fair. It’s one thing to explain why people do things, a completely different thing to do them ones self.

Its also rare in Southern Taiwan. Back in EU next week, try keep track and see if I get plastic

Which Bars give you this so I can go? I would to go there and support business doing this? so I will go there tell good!!

2 Likes

I don’t remember, but there aren’t that many bars here. You’ll find them!

You could also just go to places that don’t provide any straws at all. Why do you need a straw?

Don;t need the straw. Just support business that does a good thing, I have not seen one but will take notice if I do see it. There are over one hundred of bars in Kaoshuing , I visit only a few so seeing which you visited that did bio friendly things.

You mentioned most already found suitable replacements over the last couple of years. But me and others have not found this to be true, so I wanted to support shops that do it.

My Taiwanese Baltic staff had this photo in Tallinn, with paper straw from a immigrant there with new tea shop they opened, hope to see and know more shops that do it here (KHH). Since you found a lot, hope visit some

I find it funny people go to bars, pay the massively inflated prices, and still use straws :rofl:

Like a plastic vs steel knife debate when talking about hamburgers. Ban em all. Screw pearl teas! Bring your own. :innocent:

I think so too. Stainless and glass are sold everywhere already. The disposable food packaging norms are really terrible. Time to clamp down. I miss seeing the stars at night :joy:

1 Like

CX lounge has paper straws, Betsy is nice

2 Likes

Good beer, good lounge, frigging paper straws

1 Like

Paper straws but butter in little plastic packs.

2 Likes

!

greenwashing

Yes, so are you going tell Hong Kong ban them as well. Just served it out of jumbo tub.

A cow comes to your table and you have to milk it and churn your own.

2 Likes

Soon the cow will gone, makes to much greenhouse gas.

1 Like