HK visa run - extendable visa?

"It’s virtually impossible to change a 30-day non-extendable visa without leaving the country. " - Bu Lai En

My resident visa and ARC are going to expire shortly after my last official working day with my current employer on 8/31. I have signed a contract with another school which can get me a new work permit, and then another ARC.

My new employer says I’ll have to make a visa run to HK because the paperwork can’t go through fast enough to extend my current visa.
HOWEVER. If all they’ll give me in HK is a 30-day non-extendable visa then this just leaves me with the problem of what to do 30 days later, right?

To get a resident visa through a work permit, I need an extendable visa - right?

Can I get an extendable visa in HK?

“If all they’ll give me in HK is a 30-day non-extendable visa then this just leaves me with the problem of what to do 30 days later, right?”

Right. Unless everything clears fast and you duck under the wire, which has been known to happen. Hmmm… today’s the 21st, have you done your medical yet? You might just be able to do it. Otherwise, you’ll have to make yet another trip out of the country.

“To get a resident visa through a work permit, I need an extendable visa - right?”

As far as I know, you just have to have all your documents and everything in order and get approved by the ministry. As long as your visa is valid, I don’t believe it matters what kind of a visa you’re on.

Can I get an extendable visa in HK?

People’s experiences vary. This is an unscientific estimate, but it seems the majority of people get a one- or two-month non-extendable. I don’t think the reason that you need sufficient time to sign a work contract cuts that much ice, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask nicely for one. I’ve known people to get extendables if they have a receipt from a school saying they’ve paid for Chinese classes, but you probably wouldn’t want to go that route.

My first entry visa to Taiwan was a 14-day non-extendable visitor visa (advised by my employer). The company took care of everything and I got my ARC after 3-4 weeks. Yes, I was “illegally” staying for 2 weeks after my visa had expired. :laughing:

I had a 30-day non-extendable landing visa and was asked to leave the country.
My documents were already being processed, sent to the embassy (sorry, TECO) of the country I choose to get the visa/work permit and I obtained it from there without any hassle. And my company paid the expenses for the trip. :slight_smile:

And when you applied for a resident visa there was no penalty for overstaying your landing visa? I wouldn’t expect to clear the MOFA or the foreign police station without hassles if my visa had expired… how’d you do it?

Well, honestly I don’t know how the lawyer managed to do this.

I was offered a job while I was still out of Taiwan, and the company advised me to enter Taiwan with a visitor visa first. I didn’t have to leave Taiwan to convert my visa into resident visa. Maybe it is on case by case, depends whether your company is willing to pull some strings or there really is a way to avoid the unnecessary visa run cost.

Before my first contract expired, the company had it extended, again without me having to leave Taiwan.

Obviously, “extendable” or “non-extendable” doesn’t seem to be the problem, it’s the difference between landing visa and visitor visa. I had a 30-day non-extendable landing visa and had to leave the country to get a visitor visa that could be changed into a resident visa. As I had already bought the ticket to Hong Kong, I went to Hong Kong to apply for a visitor visa (told them I was here to see a friend, explaining about business probably would have been too much hazzle). So they gave me a 30-day non-extendable visitor visa (though I had expected to get an extendable visa). At first, I panicked and called my accounting company who does the application for me. But they said it was no problem. They told me yesterday that I could pick up my passport and my ARC at their office today.

So you can change a non-extendable visitor visa into a resident visa, but it doesn’t work with a landing visa.

Good luck!

I’ve held four different jobs, all with MOEA work authorization and subsequent ARC. In most cases, I entered the country on a non-extendable visitor visa and then took care of the work permit and ARC within the validity of the visitor visa. Once that was finished, my visa to immigration became my Multiple Re-entry Visa sticker number in my passport. The visitor visa I entered in on became irrelevant. This is my experience. I once let my visitor visa expire while getting my MOEA work permit settled. They allowed it at the police station. However, I’ve heard from several individuals that they are now craking down on this at the police station when applying for the ARC. So my experience is that you can enter with any kind of visa to get your ARC, but my advice is not to overstay your visa during this process.

If you have proof that your working papers are in process (i.e., have been submitted to the appropriate ministry) you should be able to apply for an extension of a visitor visa at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. A British friend of mine did this successfully not too long ago. They do charge you a hefty price for the visa, but it 's cheaper than traveling to Hong Kong and may be less disruptive depending on what kind of life you’re leading at the moment.

Can this be done with a resident visa which is going to be cancelled soon?

Does anybody know how I can either a) persuade the Administrative Police (by XiMen Station) not to cancel my ARC ,or b) get some kind of temporary visa from MOFA; on the grounds that my work permit application has been submitted? Today they (XiMen police) informed me that, once MOE has instructed them to cancel it, nothing short of an issued work permit can keep me here.
My boss seems to know her stuff and she says this used to be possible but is rarely done now. Anyone know how?