HK visa run (with new rules)

The visa rules have changed a bit lately and, as far as I can see, most things written here are from a theroetical understanding of the new rules rather than an experience point of view so I thought I’d just share my recent experiences. Maybe alot of what I’m going to write is already well understood by many people here but hopefully it will be useful to someone in the future.

My ARC ran out at the end of October and I didn’t renew it in time because I thought it ran out at the end of November. I noticed mid November that it had expired so I bought a plane ticket to Hong Kong (on Eva airlines internet special for about NT$6500 return including tax). I didn’t actually leave Taiwan till a week after my ARC ran out. I had to pay the ‘up to 30 day fine’ anyway ($3000) so it didn’t make any difference if I went ASAP or the week later.

The secretaries at work were telling me to get a tourist visa in HK and then get a residence visa when I came back to Taiwan. Since I wanted everything to go smoothly I rang the HK office. The HK office told me that I wouldn’t be able to get a tourist visa but must get a residence visa (the new rules attempt to stop people upgrading their visas when they arrive in Taiwan). To get a residence visa I needed a work permit plus one copy (2 copies are OK but you have to pay a little extra (HK$36) so they can verify it with Taipei). I also got one of the secretaries to talk to HK just to make doubly sure I had understood everything correctly.

Unfortunately my work place hadn’t applied for a renewal of my work permit and I had to leave the country before 30 days were up (to avoid a bigger fine and perhaps more serious consequences). So, I went to HK with out a work permit and waited for my office to fax it to me. It took 5 working days to get the permit. Once I got the permit I went as soon as possible (9 the next morning) to the Taiwan office in HK.

Even though I knew I had all the necessary forms they still tried to make it difficult. I handed across my application form, passport, copy of passport, 2 photos and 2 copies of my work permit.
She: Where’s the original work permit?
Me: I was told a fax copy would be ok.
She: Yes they are you just need to pay for the verification.
Me: OK, fine.
She: In 2 days it can be processed
Me: I’ve been told it can be done in one day
She: Yes, it can, it just costs more.
Me: I want it done in one day please.
I’m pleased to say they do follow the law and are quite efficient but they don’t help you out much. I guess they get so many people through that it’s all a bit of a bore for them. I got my residence visa the next day at 9.30, went straight to the airport and got the next plane to Taipei.

Actually, it wasn’t really a residence visa they gave me in HK but a slip stapled in my passport that stated I could get a residence visa. At CKS airport before I went through customs I went to the visa office and obtained my proper residence visa (the sitcker in the passport). This is straight forward and costs no money as the hard work was done and money paid in HK.

The thing I want to stress is, don’t trust what colleagues, secretaries, friends and people on forums tell you. If I hadn’t called the HK office I would have had many more problems once I arrived in HK. If you need to do a visa run call the Taiwanese pseudo-embassy in the country you plan to go to and find out what forms they want you to have (because Taiwanese law tends to be a bit variable). Also, I was one of the few people in the HK office who had no real problem with my application. Many people were getting turned away because they didn’t have the correct forms (because they relied on what their employer told them).

It’s really easy to let your employer/secrertary do all the admin stuff for you when you don’t speak good chinese but remember that when things go wrong it’s you who will pay the fines. And there really is no excuse for not doing such things yourself as most people in visa offices speak good english. There is also a tendency of chinese staff to do everything for the foreigner because they think we can’t, but many offices here are not terribly organised and it’s easy for your paper work to get forgotten.

BTW, normally you get a letter from the police station warning you that your ARC is about to expire. I didn’t get the letter because I moved house and I didn’t know I had to keep my address up to date with the police. My address at the police station was the guest house I had stayed in for one month when I first arrived!

Not being able to remember when your ARC expires has provided this community with a fountain of information. Thanks. :wink:

Thank you for this info.
I am waiting for a work permit to be processed and because I am here on a Landing Visa it’s Hong Kong here I come.
Please where is TECO in HK ? Sill in Lippo Towers?
Do I need an outward bound ticket to obtain the Visitors Visa?
Help !

[quote=“WolvesMon”]Thank you for this info.
I am waiting for a work permit to be processed and because I am here on a Landing Visa it’s Hong Kong here I come.
Please where is TECO in HK ? Sill in Lippo Towers?
Do I need an outward bound ticket to obtain the Visitors Visa?
Help ![/quote]

The TECO office in HK is located at:

Chung Hwa Travel Service
40th Floor
Lippo Tower
89 Queensway
Hong Kong

An outward bound ticket is still required. Best of luck.

Sorry,
I now have a work permit and will go to HK as advised. Copy of passport required ? What pages ? All?
Cheers,
P

as i understand it HK should still issue a visitor visa, 1 month non-ex. without fuss. i have a working visa waiting to be issued (have the temp. cert. already) but dont want to complicate things by showing it to them as i only have 1 day to get the visa. does anyone have info. that HK will follow KL and refuse to issue a 1 month visa because you can get 1 month visa free? this would of course fuck me right up since its what i already have and BOCA wont touch it.

ok answering my own post here…got visa ok, same day service even with a surcharge.

one thing to know…they now ask for a proof of residential address in yr home country. drivers license, phone bill etc. this almost tripped me up but i happened to have an electoral roll registration letter which fat the bill (phew)…

[quote=“the bear”]ok answering my own post here…got visa ok, same day service even with a surcharge.

one thing to know…they now ask for a proof of residential address in yr home country.[/quote]

That’s hilarious. Is there a stupidity test Taiwanese civil servants have to pass? Can someone explain to me how the hell I might have a “residential address” in “my own country”? Where might that be? The house that I don’t live in as I live in Taiwan!

Thank God those silly little regulations weren’t in force when I was a resident here many years ago on my Australian passport. I left Australia when I was 18 months old. I wonder what my “residential address” might have been. :loco:

Why would you get a 1 month visa…the landing visa is now for 30 days.

A landing visa cannot be extended, a one-month visa can.

Sometimes, but not always.

A one-month visitor visa can be changed to a work/resident visa without the need to exit then re-enter the country.

Still wouldn’t a 60 day visitor visa be more favourable?

[quote=“hexuan”][quote=“the bear”]ok answering my own post here…got visa ok, same day service even with a surcharge.

one thing to know…they now ask for a proof of residential address in yr home country.[/quote]

That’s hilarious. Is there a stupidity test Taiwanese civil servants have to pass? Can someone explain to me how the hell I might have a “residential address” in “my own country”? Where might that be? The house that I don’t live in as I live in Taiwan!

Thank God those silly little regulations weren’t in force when I was a resident here many years ago on my Australian passport. I left Australia when I was 18 months old. I wonder what my “residential address” might have been. :loco:[/quote]

well that was my problem exactly…i said to them “but i live in taiwan and have done for 3 years (actually 15) ; cant i give you proof of that?”

what made it worse was i had used a fake london address since i was applying with a UK passport…so i had to concoct a story that my parents had emigrated to NZ so i could change the address…

Sometimes, but not always.

A one-month visitor visa can be changed to a work/resident visa without the need to exit then re-enter the country.[/quote]

How can this be done, exactly?

Basically, I have less than 48 hours to pull this off without leaving the country. I have been in Taiwan for 18 months ( had an ARC, expired,left the country and returned), but just started a new job on my landing visa. It expires in two days, and I just tried to extend it with a letter from my employer and they said no, I have to leave the country and get a visitor’s visa.

My ARC application has been mailed and I do have the letter requesting my extension (from my employer), so how do I change my landing visa to a work/residency visa within the next 36 hours here in Tainan? Do I have to go to Kaushiung or Taipei?

Would appreciate a prompt reply!

Cheers :slight_smile:

a landing visa can not under any circumstances be changed…this is golden; the discussion above relates to whether it is always possible to change a one month visitors visa…have fun in HK and dont forget yr proof of residence in home country…