Hoagie's Deli (Out of Business)

Ha…I thought the same thing when I looked at the blog.
I’ve heard of Philly Cheesesteak, but never California!
Anyways, I’m sure it will be tasty.
I’ve only been there once, but the food and service was good.

We learned how to make it in San Francisco. California. So we decided to call it California Cheese Steak.

Ah I see… maybe discard the state of origin for the sammich and just call it a cheese steak :smiley:

I will have to try it when I go try your restaurant as it seems to be good eatin

Sorry to hear that. I hope you have something good planned for us.

Has the name changed or is it still called Hoagies Deli? If so, the thread stays – its not a thread about you the originator, after all. It’s a thread about the place, whoever is running it.

Thus spaketh the mighty moderator.

[quote=“sandman”]Has the name changed or is it still called Hoagies Deli? If so, the thread stays – its not a thread about you the originator, after all. It’s a thread about the place, whoever is running it.

Thus spaketh the mighty moderator.[/quote]
She didn’t ask the mighty moderator. She asked the Dear Dr.

You dare to take exception to the mighty moderator? How dare you!

Learned gentleman fracas!

I bet twenty quatloos on the newcomer

What happened? Please let us know, if you can, and share some details about this.

I have actually been to Hoagies a few times over the past few weeks (and I’ve been meaning to post here about it), and I’ve really liked the cheesesteak sandwiches I’ve had. Each time it has been very good. I also like that Dr. Pepper is available there. And the fries are good, too, though I would like it if they were a bit more on the crispy side. I’ve found Hoagies a nice place to sit and read the paper and enjoy a sandwich.

So, please let us know why the originators of the shop are no longer affiliated with it. Was there a falling out? Different plans? Different philosophies? If anything, your stories and experiences might serve as valuable lessons for those starting a new business or going in to the restaurant biz or even just starting a partnership.

If you don’t feel comfortable discussing this on a public forum, please PM with details. I’d really like to learn more about what happened.

Best of luck with your next endeavor, jfrancisco.

I thought you were a girl.

[quote=“fee”]So, please let us know why the originators of the shop are no longer affiliated with it. Was there a falling out? Different plans? Different philosophies? If anything, your stories and experiences might serve as valuable lessons for those starting a new business or going in to the restaurant biz or even just starting a partnership.

If you don’t feel comfortable discussing this on a public forum, please PM with details. I’d really like to learn more about what happened.[/quote]

What fee said. You don’t have to go into the gory details but it sure would help a lot of people who intend to open shops. Also, by sharing you might just find other investors for your next venture who will be more cooperative. Again, there is no need to spout negatively but a list of potential pitfalls would be helpful for many.

Actually, he explained everything above, but then decided to delete his whole post. (against the rules)
Maybe the good Dr. scared him away? :s

[quote=“Josefus”]Actually, he explained everything above, but then decided to delete his whole post. (against the rules)
Maybe the good Dr. scared him away? :s[/quote]
Big Fluffy Matthew, you know how to get deleted posts out of the cache memory, don’t you? Could you do so and send it to me via PM so I can put it back? Or someone else?

hoagies tastes not bad.

But the french fries are sub par. They’re very soggy and taste…like something my elementary school cafeteria served =/

Hoagie’s is out of business? I saw the ad for their garage sale in taiwanted.com:frowning:

Dunno, but since a dickhead deleted all his posts, thereby ruining the thread, I’ll change the subject.

Has anyone stopped off at a place down at the foot of Hsingsheng South Road, right near the KFC there? It’s called **** Deli (didn’t notice the name apart from the “deli” bit). Is there anything worth having there or is it just a random name chosen for yer typical non-Western Taiwanese Western slop?

Yeah, too bad about Hoagies. I liked this place, and I really liked the cheesesteaks.

I know there was some drama with a change in ownership, but I’m still sad to see this place go. :frowning:

Sandman, I think the place you might have seen is actually a branch of Uli’s Deli (“Fuli,” in Chinese, I think). There’s the original branch up in Tienmu (on Keqiang Rd. ?), and another branch on the corner of Minsheng and Songjiang (or around there).

The one on Xinsheng South Road is a lot smaller. I’ve only popped in there once, but it seemed to be catering more for students and people who just want to buy some smaller items–NT$25 to NT$40 bread rolls, and so on. If I recall, they also had some puddings and some cold snack dishes, too.

I didn’t see any of the meat and sausages that are available at the first two branches. Uli’s has some nice smoked pepper chicken for sandwiches and some bacon that I really like (it’s very salty). They also have a wide variety of sausages.

So, perhaps the one on Xinsheng is more for students. It felt more like a typical Taiwanese bakery than a deli. I would actually like to hear why they decided to open this branch there.

And, bringing this all back to the original topic, I don’t foresee this Gongguan branch of Uli’s staying open all that long. I could be wrong–it might be wildly popular with the students in the area. But, unless things have changed since my one visit a month or so ago, things don’t look that bright for its future, and there’s really no reason to make a special visit there.