Hoihaiyan Rock Festival @ Fulong Beach

Hohaiyan Music Festival

[quote]6-10 July 2011

Fulong Beach, Gongliao Township, New Taipei City

Bands include 1976, Sodagreen, Cheer Chen, Matzka, The White Eyes, B.B. Bomb, Kou Chou Ching, Eye of Violence, Goosander, Obsess

More details at [url]gigguide.tw

Official website: [url]http://www.2011hohaiyan.tw/[/url][/quote]

(taken from taiwanderful.net/calendar)

Or see the Taipei Times article

(Taipei Times)

Wow, wow, wow. The local band Chairman put on tonight one of the coolest rock shows I’ve ever seen by any band anywhere. And very Taiwan. The tourists might not have been able to fully appreciate it, but appreciate it they still did, and the local fans, definitely. Damn! I hope it got some good coverage on the news. Ah Ji at the top of his game.

Oooh! Sounds good. Any vid links for this?

HG

Wish you could have been there, I know you would have really enjoyed it. I bet there is some video because I saw lots of people with their phones pointed at the stage. I’ll poke around on the web tonight after work and see what I can find.

What does “hiddy” mean? Is this some new kind of uber-Chinglish?

Here’s a clip of one of the highlights I found on Youtube from the Chairman set at the Hohaiyan festival last night. Working late on a rush job tonight but might look around for more later.

More than enough. I can do the leg work from here.

Brilliant. And many thanks. Sort of mad old school Wu Bai with a twist.

You’re as ever the richest mine on Taiwan music, Rotalsnart. Much appreciated!

HG

Luantan Ascent (äș‚ćœˆé˜żçż”) did a set right before Chairmen that would be worth checking out too! By the way are you headed back this way any time soon?

Can anyone explain the spelling? Is “Hohaiyan” Taiwanese or something?

hohaiyan is aborigine. No idea what it means tho :stuck_out_tongue:

Chairman is awesome. :notworthy:

Who won the Battle of the Bands on Saturday? I left before it was announced.

I’m quite sure it isn’t. I believe it’s a made-up word.

ITs made-up. But by the county government. Therefore it is REAL.

Chairman has been rocking recently.

Wikipedia (ZH)claims that Hohaiyan is an Amis exclamation particle “about waves”.

Yup:

hohaiyan.com/

What Is hohaiyan ?

The aborigines of Taiwan have a legend from the days before written records. One day, the ancients discovered the sea, but they weren’t sure how to name it pointing their ears to the water, they listened as the waves rolled onto shore. A melody emerged “Ho-Hai-Yan.” From that day on, the word "Ho-Hai-Yan” has signified waves and the ocean to aboriginal people.

As Taiwan is surrounded by water on all sides, its people were originally close with the sea. Many of our ancestors lost their lives sailing across the Taiwan Strait from Tang Shan 300 years ago. The sea has maintained a measure of terror ever since.

Ho-Hai-Yan is the name of this international Rock Festival for two reasons: One, it is a beautiful aboriginal name for the sea. Two, we hope to help Taiwan’s youth to not only overcome their fear of the sea, but to learn to respect and cherish the blue universe that surrounds our beautiful island.

• By hohaiyan founder, 43 Chang

Ah, that’s why they didn’t allow anyone in the water yesterday - not even the knee-deep non-swimming-zoo they normally have there.

Some enjoyable stuff there yesterday. Good weather - apart from a bit of rain in the beginning, a bit more for a short time during the show of the last band (soda green), disabling some of their instruments - and a lot, lot more shortly after the ending fireworks. I pity those kids that were going home by scooter in that pouring rain.

Pity that almost no one went to the small stage though, where some harder stuff was playing.

I only went for the one day on Wednesday, so not sure who won, or even who was competing. I’d also be interested to know.

Yes, I saw both of those links. I’d like to see some academic verification. It’s like the 2004 hoodwink of “naruwan” which we were told meant “welcome” in an “aloha” kind of way, when in fact the word was “naluwan” and it was just a meaningless vocalization that was used in singing, like “tra-la-la-la”. The “welcome” stuff was added on to bring in tourists. :unamused:

It bugs me that they’re selling aboriginal mysticism-love-of-the-sea BS in English, but they’re promoting it in Chinese as “International Ocean Music Festival”(ćœ‹éš›æ”·æŽ‹éŸłæš‚ç„­).

The Apple Daily had some nice bikini pics.

I took lots of pictures and some videos yesterday (July 10).
Will upload more within this week. Last year was also great. Think I’ll go there every year if I can

The rain (showers) stopped quite early (2 PM) but came back at around 9 PM. People had good mood anyways.

Bands I saw were “VAN SHE” and “Van Coke Kartel” on the main stage, with unfortunately too much break time between their performances.

Mounted police doing a visit:

Lots of sand:

Beer was cheap (four cans for 100 TWD at most stands, nicely cold) and there was a small night market with fried stuff on sticks and some bento boxes.