Holiday in Taiwan

Hi all,

I’m intending to go taiwan for a holiday alone in october. Would love to hear any recommendations of things to do, places to visit and cheap accommodation for my planned 5days trip :slight_smile: I would also like to visit the local gyms in taipei and buy some touch aero gym gears, anyone know where i can get them?

Hope to hear from you :slight_smile:
Biglady
Singapore

Please check out some of the other threads in the Travel section especially the top five or so and also the one named My Vacation in Taiwan. They contain a wealth of information. Also, if you can tell me what you are interested in seeing (nature, culture, etc.) then I can help you more.

Also check out the Taiwan tourist website:
202.39.225.132/jsp/Eng/html/search/index.jsp

This will give you a good idea of what Taiwan has to offer. Don’t bother buying the Lonely Planet guide. The current edition is out-of-date and the new edition won’t be out until November.

Also check out this new website:
ntch.edu.tw/english/ArtsTravel/

It provides really useful info on the arts and travel in Taiwan and abroad too. Check out the travel section: detailled bus, train, MRT and hotel info for various sites.

What is that???

hi mucha man, thanks for the website links… will check them out when i do my planning, hopefully there’r good guides to cheap accommodation at good, safe locations too :slight_smile:

Hi juba, touch aero is a brand of sportswear, i think it’s a taiwan brand or they are manufactured in taiwan… thus i’ll be lookin forward to buyin some home when i visit taiwan… so no one knows where it’s sold huh? and any good gyms to visit??

have a nice day everyone :slight_smile:

Not sure about that brand, but a good area for sportswear is near Sogos, in downtown Taipei. On Tun Hua North Rd, just north of the intersection with Zhong Xiao East Rd (the road Sogos is on), you’ll find a stretch of 4 or 5 stores with sportswear, including an Adidas, Puma, Reebok, and Timberland store. Just behind those stores, in a small alley, is a large Nike store. From personal experience, I find the Puma clothing better and cheaper than the others. Recently they’ve been running a sale, but I’m not so sure if it’s still on.

As for the brand you’re after, you may well find it in that area. If not, ask a few sales clerks. You may find one who’s familiar with the brand. While shopping overseas, I find it’s best to find and print several photos of the exact item you’re looking for. It’s far more efficient than trying to explain what you’re looking for.

Hi Gubo,

thanks for the info, will definitely check out sogo on zhongxiao east road. i know zhongxiao donglu is a song sang by power station rite? :slight_smile:) power station came over to singapore last week and i went for the free concert, but they didn’t sing this song… nonetheless, the thought of going there shopping excites me!! i’ve heard of it… and xi meng ting is it? are these two places far or near each other? oh man, i need to get a map… i’m going to the library tonite to check out some maps!!

i’m going to convince a fren to travel with me, but she might be only able to spare 4days, if that’s the case, i will not go to the outskirts but only taipei coz i think 4days is jus nice or perhaps too short?

anyway, back to sports gear, i think i jus wanna grab watever touch aero gears there are in taiwan coz we can’t find it in singapore!! i won’t buy nike, puma or others coz i would reckon they might be the same as in singapore, unless there’s attractive sale going on. the thing is touch aero gears are so so nice!!! and not cheap too :frowning:

i will be lookin forward to some good ma la steamboat (any good recommendations?) to feast when i’m there!!

have a great day everyone, it’s back to work :slight_smile:

Ximending and Zhongxiao-East road are not far and are connected by MRT.

It seems you want to come to Taipei mostly to shop and visit gyms. There is a thread in the Sports section about the best gyms in Taipei. Check it out.

At least you’re coming in the best month of all: October. Clear skies, dry, low pollution, and a balmy 27-28 every day.

With four or five days you should get out to see some of the sights just outside Taipei: the old Japanese era teahouses and market street in Jiufen; the beaches at Baishawan or Fulong; the old forts, caves and traditional night food market in Keelung; the bizarre rock formations at Yeliu; hotsprings in Wulai or Beitou or Yamingshan.

Hi mucha man,

thanks for ur ‘directions’ again :slight_smile: i will check out the link you suggested re gyms in taiwan. ya, i reckon i’ll get more info if i navigate around the websites more often, but too bad my home pc has broken down, and everytime i’m online is either in the office or in internet cafes, thus online time is limited. that’s why i posted my qn on this forum for ‘quick answers’ :slight_smile:

yes, i very much wanna see more of taiwan with the limited time i hv. i would love to sightsee on the outskirts too! in fact, for this trip, i jus wanna detress and not think abt anythin much. i’m not really a fanatic shopper, on the contrary, i jus wanna fly to taiwan and do the things i would do in singapore too, like going to gym, eating, and jus pple watch… and feel wat’s like in another city. the only thing i wanna get is touch aero gym gears which i’ve mentioned, coz i only know that i can get it in taiwan. i hv a few pieces of their wear which i got from fren’s fren’s fren who’s a taiwanese who came to singapore for a tour… well, that’s another long story :stuck_out_tongue:

anyhow, i’m abit regretting of askin my fren along. you know sometimes you hv to compromise on places to go and things to do while on a trip. i should hv kept my mouth shut abt going to taiwan alone. i thot i could jus do it on my own (yes i could) but once you tell your frens, they go - ah?? not lonely?? are you sure??.. then came the - why dun i go with you??? and i ended up not being able to say no… ah well… we see how it goes…

it’s a blue friday for me here in singapore. i dunno why. life’s becoming routinely boring. even the weekends dun excite me anymore. going to my boss’ house for house-warming tmr nite… every social invites becomes an obligation to me now… man, i dunno why i’m suddenly dreading life…

oh well, i’ll get better.

:slight_smile: enjoy ur day - you! whoever. despite the weather.

obviously i’m not thinking.
after re-reading my posting, even my english don’t make sense.

ah well, jus one of those days :I

:rainbow: [b]

I like Happy New Year.l can eat a lot of food in Every New year.when I went to my grandfather house ,they always give me much rad money.And we always ate good food together around the desk.the feeling is so good!!![/b]

[quote=“yichen1212”]:rainbow: [b]

I like Happy New Year.l can eat a lot of food in Every New year.when I went to my grandfather house ,they always give me much rad money.And we always ate good food together around the desk.the feeling is so good!!![/b][/quote]

Do you know a man called ‘Screaming Jesus’? Er, welcome anyway.

[quote=“biglady”]Hi all,

I’m intending to go taiwan for a holiday alone in october. Would love to hear any recommendations of things to do, places to visit and cheap accommodation for my planned 5days trip :slight_smile: I would also like to visit the local gyms in Taipei and buy some touch aero gym gears, anyone know where I can get them?

Hope to hear from you :slight_smile:
Biglady
Singapore[/quote]

Hi biglady,

This comes quite a bit late, but in case you ever vacation in Taiwan again…Sogo sells Touch Aero Gear! I just saw their anniversary ad today and they are having a sale on all athletic clothing, which I think is on the tenth floor.