Hollywood politics

Judging from this thread, one could be forgiven for thinking about half the regular Forumosans watch the show. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

About the violence, non-rhetorical question from someone who hasn’t been keeping track: how many of the films @bojack is talking about (glorifying and fetishizing gun violence) actually rake in the awards, compared to the ones that either don’t have guns at all or present them in a negative light?

By negative light, I mean what Fred Schepisi said about violence in his films: to paraphrase, it always happens when you don’t want it to happen and to the character you don’t want it to happen to, so you walk away from the film liking violence less than you did going into it.

For the record, I didn’t make it past the opening monologue. Otherwise I wouldn’t have been able to keep my dinner down. Kimmel can be lethal in larger doses.

Not my point. My point is that those movies rake in the $$$ for Hollywood.

That said, a few come to mind that have also won awards. Fargo, No Country For Old Men, Hell or High Water, Drive, Pulp Fiction, Django Unchained, and given enough time we can all google more.

As a percentage? Or a percentage of the major awards (as opposed to best sound editing etc.)?

(Would @Rockefeller know?)

I wouldn’t call it glorification or fetishisation of gun violence by any means but this year’s BP winner, The Shape of Water, had a couple of violent scenes involving guns and torture. Get Out’s climax was pretty violent as well.

I would. No exaggeration to say that Dirty Harry made Smith & Wesson very profitable, based on a single, famous scene from the movie, which was also highly profitable.

If this doesn’t glorify handgun violence, then nothing the NRA does either.

https://youtu.be/8Xjr2hnOHiM?t=14

More modern version. Rick Grimes’s Colt Python from The Walking Dead. Same glorification (in image), but less fetishization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZx9prXAALA

Context?

Yup

Whoops for HFPA

Don’t want to get too much into this, but exactly, they aren’t really glorification or fetishization. Michael Shannon’s TSOW character was not a good guy. Get Out was a genre film (horror) where it was either fight or die. Generally speaking, good guys in film never instigate gun violence out of nowhere. The villains, well, they’re villains. Also, this:

Having said that, anybody can make a movie. You can make a movie. I’m sure there are shallow, bad, silly movies out there made by (mostly) film school kids who basically traded nerf guns and super soakers with prop weapons.

And speaking of the democratization of filmmaking, I know there are plenty of people in Hollywood who are card-carrying NRA members. But just because you’re an NRA member, that doesn’t mean you completely agree or completely disagree with the group’s governing body. Just like a lot of filmmakers who rolled their eyes at the Academy’s #OscarsSoWhite moment, and have since been taking steps to change it.

Anyway:

James Woods, Eastwood, Baio, etc.

Also, just like how I didn’t watch the Superbowl this year, or Stanley Cup Finals last year, or how I didn’t watch the Grammy Awards this year, or the Tony Awards last year, or how I’ve never been and won’t be bothered to watch the ESPYs this summer:

:+1:t2:

You mean you’re not following this thread? But it’s your favorite subject – US politics! :smile:

I’m trying to figure out how much water this holds. We know Hollywood makes such films, but to what extent does it reward them with trophies? (If you have a family member who commits a crime, and then you speak out against that crime, but you haven’t disowned said family member, does that make you a hypocrite?)

Too much candy isn’t good for my perfect Hollywood teeth. :joy:

To simplify, none. But reality isn’t simple, right? We’ll also need to draw the lines of what counts as glorification and fetishization. And the context that gun violence is used, and who is using gun violence (the character, and how they fit in the narrative). In almost all cases, no. But, sometimes, with characters such as Walter White, things get murky. But even then, I hope we can all safely say that he is NOT a good guy, even if he is the protagonist. But even in those cases, people can still get what they want to get and see what they want to see out of a film or show. At the end of the day this stuff is still entertainment first and foremost, so if an audience isn’t willing to look beyond the surface and take in the entire context (or in the case of kids, have a parent/guardian who will explain), there’s only so much we can do as non-educators (including requirement of the MPAA ratings, or counterparts in your own country).

Btdubs - my relationship with guns is weird. Things must change, but I also don’t trust the government (whichever administration). Don’t ask me about it.

bahahahahahaha.

4 Likes
1 Like

Lots of work in movies like True Lies (1994) American Sniper (2014) and 13 Hours (2016). Lots of work in the “Muslims as crazed wild-eyed killers” category.