Holocaust survey in the US

Yes. This is why it must be taught, and remembered. Modern humans are very keen to believe that we’re all nice and kind and non-judgemental these days, but the entirety of human history says otherwise. Progress happens when we recognise what a bunch of evil bastards humans are inside, and take steps to make sure that side of us isn’t given free rein.

1 Like

Agree.

Also worth pointing out that while social media (as a replacement for education) gets lots of the blame for humans acting badly these days, another likely culprit in the West is the unpopularity of Christianity.

Organized Christianity makes all of the same mistakes any human endeavor makes, plus some, but it also had given Western nations a way to ameliorate human behavior that did not rely on taxes or government. The recognition of Christianity’s importance in the West also made Westerners willing to govern themselves from within, from a shared sense of community and shared ideas about how humans should behave, ideas that were agreed upon without debate or significant conflict.

Frankly I worry that whatever replaces organized, social spiritualism, especially Christianity (whether that’s growth in government scope, e.g., communism, or whether the religion of environmentalism ends up fulfilling the functions of public Christian worship) will not be a step forward for mankind.

We humans may well have a few steps back to make before we get better as social beings.

1 Like

How about scientology or Santo Daime?

I get the impression many of those under 25 see Hitler vids or photos and just see some old footage of a silly looking man…
WW2 I can relate to as I had living relatives that were involved. WW1 I cannot. Just as previous earlier wars mean nothing to me or my older relatives who had no connection. I believe it is the same here.
And how many of those asked were from backgrounds that were not directly impacted in WW2? From what I recall, Chad was not bombed by the Luftwaffe for example.

Maybe Hitler does look silly by current standards, but you’d think watching (excellent nazi) footage of huge Nuremburg rallies and of Hitler’s demeanor during his speeches, especially facial expressions, would make a difference.

I have to wonder if it’s not all down to the central role in social justice nonsense played by Palestinians. If you think Israeli’s are evil, then I think it’s a small step to blame Jews for the Holocaust. Especially if your uni profs are professing the evil nature of Israel outside of relevant context.