Home made baby food

MT, you’ve probably read that about water in breastfeeding books when I believe they are talking about very young babies. If we give young babies water, then it’s coming from a bottle, which sometimesinterferes with breastfeeding.

I agree with you and your wife that your daughter probably does need the water because it’s hot here. She is older too, so you don’t need to worry so much about “nipple confusion”.

It was my Chinese mother in law who told me I should give my son water when he was about 9 months old and she saw that I was still nursing him. She reminded me that milk at that age is still more like food than drink (even if it is a fluid too) and when you’re thirsty, water quenches your thirst. It made sense, and didn’t interfere with eating and nursing, so I’ve also given water to the following two babies, when they were several months old.

From what I’ve read, your wife is correct. Sugar water is frowned on now, but water is considered an okay addition to breastmilk or formula in hot or dry climates. Dehydration is much more of a worry for babies than for older kids and adults, so keeping her hydrated is the main concern.

I found the list we went by for food introduction. The idea is that a new food can be introduced every three days…to give time to see whether any allergic reaction develops.

4-6 months: rice, oats, very ripe bananas, apple juice and sauce, pear juice and sauce, acorn squash, butternut squash, sweet potato

5-7 months: barley, wheat, peaches, plums, carrots, green beans, peas

6-8 months: buckwheat, brown rice, bread, apricots, zucchini, summer squash, chicken, turkey, plain yogurt

7-9 months: oat cereal circles (Cheerios), teething biscuits, papaya, avocado, asparagus, lean beef, cream cheese, cottage cheese, ricotta cheese

8-10 months: egg-free pasta, citrus fruits, nectarines, prunes, beets, broccoli, lamb, liver, mild cheeses (mozzarella, Muenster, Monterey Jack, cheddar, Swiss)

9-11 months: kiwifruit, spinach, baked white potato, parsnips, veal, egg yolks

10-12 months: cantaloupe, watermelon, blueberries, cauliflower, cucumber, artichoke (pureed heart), eggplant, soybeans, dofu, lentils, lima beans, dried peas and beans, white-fleshed fish, pork

Avoid during first year: white table sugar, corn syrup, shellfish, egg whites or uncooked yolks, fried foods, chocolate, candy, honey, uncooked onions, junk food, tomatoes, corn, processed meat (hot dogs, bologna, salami, bacon, etc.)

This list is from the rather revoltingly titled Mommy Made–and Daddy Too! The authors are very cautious about food introduction, but we found the basic list helpful. It is written for the U.S. market, but in general, and excluding citrus, introduce yellow veggies and fruit first, then orange, then green, finally dark green and red.

Lead choking hazards in the U.S.: hot dogs and peanuts. Others: popcorn, potato/corn chips, seeds, whole grapes, whole olives, cherries, corn niblets, uncooked peas, raw carrots or other hard vegetables, peanut butter, hard candy, jelly beans