Home vs love

The studying Chinese is actually a really good idea. If you can support yourself while you study and get yourself proper papers that say you are fluent in Chinese, you can make good money as a translator upon your return home.

Meegs,

Taiwan offers many opportunities for those who are daring, creative and positive.
Come to one of the Entrepreneur club meetings for some inspiration or just be more around people who think this way and do this way.

People who are trying to discourage you are most likely stuck in a world they don’t like, too afraid or too lazy to do anything about it. Projecting pessimism on others helps them feel better about their own situations.

I’m not telling you it’ll be easy. Realism is healthy, don’t dismiss it. But if you want to and you work at it, you’ll find what you want.

[quote=“tash”]Jeez, what’s with the bitchy attitude, MT? PMS?
The girl didn’t ask for that at all. Not for the worst-case scenario preech from you, and definitely not for the tone in which you delivered it. I think you should stay out of this thread and let people give her proper advice.[/quote]
MT appears to be painting a rather realistic picture for the young lady.
He’s telling her pretty much how any future employer is going to look at her and how she will fit into what the business might need.
I also thought his tone was rather respectful and honest.

She is smitten with love and wants to figure out a way to stay on the island. Thats nice. Now she has to face reality. If she seeks to find employment with an established company, either Taiwanese or foreign based, she has to provide what they need and are looking for. What can she offer them that will be to their advantage? Thats what they are going to want to know.

If she chooses to become self-employed - then she must provide a goods or service that some company/person wants/needs or she must create a need/want to fill. Again, what can she offer or create? Here is where imagination, creativity and darn hard-work can pay off.

Their is plenty of opportunity for her. But it isn’t going to handed to her simply because she thinks she deserves it. And honestly, she should expect a lot of failure on her path. Thats how one learns to succeed.

But still, the goods have to be brought to the table before anyone is going to hand over the $$$'s. And thats the bottom line.

No offense intended MT, but did you get your Ph.D. in condescension? Because you sure do seem to be an expert at it. :wink:

No offense intended MT, but did you get your Ph.D. in condescension? Because you sure do seem to be an expert at it. :wink:[/quote]

And how would you describe your snide remarks? :angel:

I don’t have a Ph.D. But it’s not about me. It’s about her. It’s about someone who appears to be very young, with no business experience, a BA at most, admittedly minimal language skills, no qualifications that she has described except enthusiasm. Enthusiasm is good. But as TC has noted, if one wants a job, enthusiasm alone is often not enough. To get hired, she’ll likely need to demonstrate that she has skills, expertise, connections, etc., that make it worth their while to hire her, train her, supervise her, pay her, deal with communication/culture/foreigner issues, sponsor her for a work permit, etc. Presumably, as a foreigner she’ll want to earn more than the NT$30k/month they would otherwise pay to a local. Does she have such skills, expertise, connections, etc.? I don’t know. So far she hasn’t stated that she has any of that.

As for self-employment, that’s not easy either. She mentioned importing, although she admitted she really has no idea what to do. I tried importing. When I travelled back and forth to SE Asia and Nepal for several months at a time, years ago, I saw all this beautiful stuff and thought it would be cool to bring it back to the States, sell it to pay for my trip or perhaps as a line of work. So I did buy a lot of beautiful things and ship them back for that purpose. I learned it’s not so easy. There are the costs of purchasing, shipping, insurance, all the freebies to friends and family, damage, loss and theft of goods, the question of whether to sell to stores (what I did mostly) or set up your own stand selling the stuff in the mall or at fairs/markets, etc (and spend the time sitting there). In the end I found it to be a lot of work for not much money, certainly not nearly as much as one can earn in a regular job.

It’s nice to have enthusiasm and a vague notion, but the reality is rarely so simple. To get paid by either an employer or customers, she’ll need to prove that she has something different or better: either proven skills and abilities for employment, or a better product or services that she’ll sell directly, for which there is sufficient demand, her price is attractive after subtracting the various costs (many of which will not be apparent at first), and she is able to outcompete her competitors, many of whom may have good language skills and extensive experience.

If she’s interested in self employment, I would recommend that after meeting with the entrepreneurs club and discussing her ideas, she write up a careful business plan, laying out the details of her business, including all startup costs, income and expenses, and do careful research to ensure the figures are realistic.

But I do wish her well and I look forward to hearing of her success. :slight_smile:

[quote]Any advice?..
i am looking for more progressive ideas i have come here looking for what i dont already know.[/quote]

May be just me, but I think the OP has a fairly good idea of who she is, her strengths and limitations as well as her marketability in Taiwan and elsewhere. She’s seeking ideas and options she may not have thought of. IMO, the “reality check” style posts, while I’m sure are well intended, are trite and not at all what the OP is seeking (and she has said as much–very politely). They are just plain getting old.

[quote=“Stimpy”]
May be just me, but I think the OP has a fairly good idea of who she is, her strengths and limitations as well as her marketability in Taiwan and elsewhere. She’s seeking ideas and options she may not have thought of. IMO, the “reality check” style posts, while I’m sure are well intended, are trite and not at all what the OP is seeking (and she has said as much–very politely). They are just plain getting old.[/quote]

Assuming that entrepreneurship is the calling, the “reality check” style posts are indeed what is required. Ms. Meeg will get a healthy dose of that when she begins her journey down that route. Entrepreneurship is not a walk in the park. It’s both a hard slog as well as richly rewarding (not always $). So long as one goes into it with open eyes, then I think one has a much better chance of success because you’re benefiting from the hard lessons learned of others and thus avoid the same pitfalls.

Successful entrepreneurship needs both energy, smarts as well as a realistic foundation of the possibilities.

wow.

firstly, miss unmotherly theresa, let me satisfy your curiosity:
my science degree has not been completed and will most likely stay as unfinished as your awareness in the grand possibilities life offers (when you allow it). im as interested in microbiology as i am in your advice. before becoming a teacher (i teach young children how to develop strong ethics, respect themselves and value their health, be happy-all in english) i was in PR. i created relationships. there came a time when i got sick of making everyone else money and wanted to start my own business. that is when i found myself abroad and fell into the box of teaching. opportunites are endless but my view over the years has become short-sighted. the greed of instant cash and facility of teaching hourly took over. i have LOVED my jobs but it is not where i see my future. this is what i want to change.

those of you who suggested chinese class are of course, BANG ON. a chinese speaking residence or career was never considered until recently. now that i know taiwan will be in the long term plan, it is obvious that chinese will be part of my life. i cant wait to get in class. i should have mentioned that. perhaps my chinese skills will be better than my english writing! yes, i know it wont be hard; it has never been a strong point and as of yesterday im feeling like it needs prompt attention. i will most likely pursue some online courses from a canadian uni as well. english comp perhaps?!

mother theresa has a point. i dont know how to import (not legally anyways) but have the course books from the canadian trade school. they have been gathering dust until yesterday. i threw the question out there in my first post to see what others had to say.
i have learned to listen to others opinion and advice. my networking has been minimal recently and losing all my phone numbers didnt help. i need to get back out there!

i have a thai friend who is a designer. she needs cash, i need skills so perhaps we could collaborate. i know a few people from around the world in fashion. i have travelled far and wide and found amazing fabrics…perhaps i could start a clothing line. i like bringing it all together. that way i could travel with my man (he travels europe, asia and north america) with my own purpose and gain a great living marketing and promoting my own creation. no, it wont be easy-I KNOW. i may not have good language skills but im not as ‘naive’ as i sound. im just an idealist who believes anything is possible. with a niche market (i have some ideas…) then success is around the corner. hell, if i found this man than ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!! he is amazing and has made me realize how amazing i am or could be.
clothing line is only an idea. my passion is not in fashion but i could make it work.
the reason i originally posted was to get some refreshing ideas and resources. like i said, i havemt been networking enough and this was the first step in getting my ideas out there and hearing others.

and thank you everyone. i am fortunate to have all of you offer your experience, words and advice.
:slight_smile:

This sounds crazy, but since you’re interested in fashion I’ll tell you one of my crazy business ideas that I’ll never pursue.

I’ve noticed that Taiwanese women are apparently wild about underwear. I’ve never been in any other city in the world where one walks down the street and sees so many stores selling women’s underwear.

Like most asians, Taiwanese also like to appear worldly, western, sexy and modern. Especially young working class people don’t want to appear to be local night market shoppers; they want to be seen as Gucci, LV, Polo, Starbucks, McDonalds, western women.

Taiwanese women also seem to be largely flatchested and there seems to be a huge market for padded bras and snake oil breast enlargement elixirs.

Of course, Southern California – and Hollywood – has long been a symbol of western glamour, sexiness and popularity, and one truly sexy So Cal business is Victoria’s Secret.

Bringing all those concepts together, it occurred to me Victoria’s Secret should do exceptionally well in Taiwan (perhaps with their product line adjusted to the local market – not too raunchy and not too much for women with actual large boobs, but more for smaller women wanting larger looking boobs, etc.)

I was so convinced that this would be a redhot business in Taiwan that I actually researched Victoria Secret and learned, to my disappointment, that they don’t open franchises. Instead, they own all of their stores and open new ones where they want to, not where some crazy guy in Taiwan wants to.

So it appears one can’t open a Victorias Secret franchise in Taiwan. Then I’ll have to create my own line of sexy, “California style” underwear for women, I thought. True, I don’t know a damn thing about how to make womens underwear, but I can picture the corporate image and marketing and I really believe it could work. “California Lingerie” or “Hollywood Lingerie” or something like that, with lots of sexy, busty babes modeling the stuff in really hot glossy billboards and marketing. Some hot asian babes in the ads, but at least half hot blonde, “California” girls, so the Taiwan shoppers will know that if they buy this particular push-up bra they too will look like the girls from Baywatch.

I think it could work. It would take significant capital to get started though. Need to design sexy undies, hire a bunch of cheap labor in China to put the stuff together, start photographing sexy women for hte ads (almas john has volunteered to do that), and then there’s the cost of retail space. It would require a LOT. But I’m sure it could work if done right. But I’ve decided to stick with my present career and not become a women’s underwear mogul. So if you want to use my idea, feel free.

See, I’m not so bad, am I? :slight_smile:

MT,

Tongue-in-cheek aside, this is a great business idea I think. Look at this Polish lace-makers’ modern twist: the thong. I agree that from my untrained eye, underwear/lingerie fashions is a point of interest of the Taiwanese women. I’m sure that with a bit of creative thinking, one can do something with this…

not at all what i was considering but im sure it could be a success.
my market would be overseas, not in taiwan. i would study here and manufacture here but sell mainly overseas. i already have distributors so the possibility is there.
thanks for the suggestion though :slight_smile:

love is risky at best. and to give up a career for love is doubly sad if it doesnt work out.

just make sure it works out !!

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]This sounds crazy, but since you’re interested in fashion I’ll tell you one of my crazy business ideas that I’ll never pursue.

I’ve noticed that Taiwanese women are apparently wild about underwear. I’ve never been in any other city in the world where one walks down the street and sees so many stores selling women’s underwear.

Like most asians, Taiwanese also like to appear worldly, western, sexy and modern. Especially young working class people don’t want to appear to be local night market shoppers; they want to be seen as Gucci, LV, Polo, Starbucks, McDonalds, western women.

Taiwanese women also seem to be largely flatchested and there seems to be a huge market for padded bras and snake oil breast enlargement elixirs.

Of course, Southern California – and Hollywood – has long been a symbol of western glamour, sexiness and popularity, and one truly sexy So Cal business is Victoria’s Secret.

Bringing all those concepts together, it occurred to me Victoria’s Secret should do exceptionally well in Taiwan (perhaps with their product line adjusted to the local market – not too raunchy and not too much for women with actual large boobs, but more for smaller women wanting larger looking boobs, etc.)

I was so convinced that this would be a redhot business in Taiwan that I actually researched Victoria Secret and learned, to my disappointment, that they don’t open franchises. Instead, they own all of their stores and open new ones where they want to, not where some crazy guy in Taiwan wants to.

So it appears one can’t open a Victorias Secret franchise in Taiwan. Then I’ll have to create my own line of sexy, “California style” underwear for women, I thought. True, I don’t know a damn thing about how to make womens underwear, but I can picture the corporate image and marketing and I really believe it could work. “California Lingerie” or “Hollywood Lingerie” or something like that, with lots of sexy, busty babes modeling the stuff in really hot glossy billboards and marketing. Some hot asian babes in the ads, but at least half hot blonde, “California” girls, so the Taiwan shoppers will know that if they buy this particular push-up bra they too will look like the girls from Baywatch.

I think it could work. It would take significant capital to get started though. Need to design sexy undies, hire a bunch of cheap labor in China to put the stuff together, start photographing sexy women for hte ads (almas john has volunteered to do that), and then there’s the cost of retail space. It would require a LOT. But I’m sure it could work if done right. But I’ve decided to stick with my present career and not become a women’s underwear mogul. So if you want to use my idea, feel free.

See, I’m not so bad, am I? :slight_smile:[/quote]

All you have to do is totally rip them off, and give the company only a Chinese name that means “Vivian’s Secret.” This is because so MANY women choose for themselves the English name Vivian, and, of course, it also starts with “v.”

[quote=“housecat”][quote=“Mother Theresa”]{Having a VS shop in Taiwan idea snipped}
[/quote]

All you have to do is totally rip them off, and give the company only a Chinese name that means “Vivian’s Secret.” This is because so MANY women choose for themselves the English name Vivian, and, of course, it also starts with “v.”[/quote]

Well, they do have the “Woman’s Secret” shops now :slight_smile:

The underwear concept is great one I would agree with. What came to mind when I read MT’s posts, was the number of “bimbos” who have gone into the industry after having high profile boyfriends, like Shoshanna Lonstein, Jerry Seinfield’s ex. (she’s not a bimbo,actually)

MT is right on the money about undies in Taiwan, there is a cult following about it among the women.

[quote=“Namahottie”]The underwear concept is great one I would agree with. What came to mind when I read MT’s posts, was the number of “bimbos” who have gone into the industry after having high profile boyfriends, like Shoshanna Lonstein, Jerry Seinfield’s ex. (she’s not a bimbo,actually)

MT is right on the money about undies in Taiwan, there is a cult following about it among the women.[/quote]

undies are really a womens thing. most men (myself included) just want the ladies to take them off !

1…???
…perhaps you’ve now solved the problem?,:saywhat:

[quote]
Article 4
To apply for assessment and recognition of foreign academic credentials, students shall submit the following documents to the institutions of higher education for verification, examination and recognition:

1. A photocopy of proof of foreign academic credentials authenticated by an overseas agency of the Republic of China;
  2. Photocopies of transcripts for all the years of coursework for the foreign qualification verified by overseas agencies of the Republic of China;
  3. A certificate of entry and exit dates, issued by the competent authority of immigration. However, foreign citizens or overseas Chinese are exempt from this requirement, and graduates with high school academic credentials are exempt from this requirement.
  4. Other relevant documents.
    Documents referred to in Subparagraph 3 shall include the studying period (from starting to ending) of foreign academic credentials.

Article 5
To transact the assessment and recognition of foreign academic credentials, institutions of higher education shall follow the following procedure:

1. Verifications and recognition for academic credentials of foreign institutions of higher education listed in the reference list or of foreign high schools shall be transacted in accordance with these Regulations; in case of any doubt, the recognition shall be carried out after examination in accordance with Article 6 and Article 7; if necessary, explanation for the doubt shall be submitted to the Ministry of Education along with related supporting documents as aids for the recognition.

2. Verifications and recognition for academic credentials of foreign institutions of higher education not listed in the reference list or of art qualifications shall be carried out after examination in accordance with Article 6 and Article 7; if necessary, explanation for the doubt shall be submitted to the Ministry of Education along with related supporting documents as aids for the recognition.[/quote]
    law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/Fnews/FnewsCo … =undefined

3. …perhaps complete your degree in some manner here? The texts are often in english for MIBI.

[quote]Article 4
The special professions and technical assignments specified in Article 46.1.1 of the Act include the following job descriptions:

1. Architecture and civil engineering.
  2. Transportation.
  3. Tax and financial service.
  4. Real estate agency.
  5. Immigration service.
  6. Attorney ( legal services).
  7. Technicians.
  8. Medical and/or Health Care.
  9. Environmental protection.
  10. Cultural, sports and recreation services.
  11. Academic research.
  12. Veterinarian.
  13. Manufacturing.
  14. Wholesale.
  15. Other job descriptions designated by the central competent authorities along with the specific industry authorities at the central government level.
    Article 5
    Other than meeting with other criteria specified in the Standards, foreign employees have to acquire one of the following qualifications before undertaking the jobs/assignments specified here above:
  16. Acquire certificates or operation qualifications through the procedures specified in the Examinations of Specific Profession and Technician Guidelines.
  17. Acquire credentials of Master degree or above from universities in the ROC or in foreign countries or acquire Bachelor degree and with more than two years working experiences in the specific field.
  18. Expatriates to the ROC that have been employed in multi-national companies for more than one year.
  19. Specialists who have been trained professionally or self-taught in the specific field and have more than five years experiences in related skills and have demonstrated outstanding performances.[/quote]

3…or be able to come up with “proof” for any of the above…

law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/Fnews/FnewsCo … gree%7CARC

[quote]Article 46
Unless otherwise provided for in the present Act, the work a Foreign Worker may be employed to engage in within the territory of the Republic of China is limited to the following:
1.Specialized or technical work;
2.Director/Manager/Executive of a business invested in or set up by oversees Chinese or foreigner(s) with the authorization of the Government of the Republic of China;
3.Teacher at the following schools, as indicated:
1)Teacher at a public or registered private college/university or school established especially for foreign residents;
2)Approved teacher teaching course(s) on foreign language(s) at a public or registered private high school or below;
3)Teacher teaching course(s) at a public or registered private experimental high school’s bilingual department or at bilingual school;
4.Full-time teacher teaching course(s) on foreign language(s) at a short-term class registered for supplementary schooling in accordance with the Supplementary Education Act;
5.Sports coach and athlete;
6.Religious, artistic, and show business work;
7.Crew member of a merchant vessel, working vessel, and vessel ad hoc permitted by the Ministry of Transportation and Communication;
8.Marine fishing/netting work;
9.Household assistant;
10.Work designated by the Central Competent Authority in response to national major construction project(s) or economic/social development needs;
11.Other specialized work ad hoc approved by the Central Competent Authority due to the lack of such specialist in the domestic employment market and the business necessity to retain the service of such specialist therefor. [/quote]

1. Might get lucky with #11
  2. So…how are you pulling off an ARC without a degree…? :howyoudoin:

[quote]The following three criteria must be met for you to qualify for legal employment as a foreign English teacher here:

1. Be a native English speaker from a native English speaking country as determined by a passport from one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa, United Kingdom and the United States. These are the only countries that the government of Taiwan recognizes as native English speakers for the purposes of teaching English in Taiwan.

2. Meet the following minimum education requirements:

a) Bachelor’s degree or above in any discipline from a tertiary institution recognized by the Taiwan government; or

b) An associate’s diploma plus a TEFL / TESOL certification. The problem is determining which diplomas and with certifications are acceptable by the government.

1. Be willing and able to sign a minimum of a one-year contract [/quote]
    buxiban.com/Legislationview. … itmcde=393

…and now they want Real Proof of the degree or diploma…Photoshop can only go so far… :wink:

…would not recommend this one … :banned:

Design a bra with ‘runescape’ or ‘world of warcraft,’ playable games built into them. Given Taiwanese males obsession with these games a mix of the game and the bra might just arouse some male interest in the womens chest area.