Hong Kong Citizens Move to Taiwan in Waves After Political Upsets

I don’t think so.

1 Like

Someone is Immigrants From Hong Kong hits 16 year-high

A lot of Hong Kongers come for the democracy, but then leave within a few years because of the economy.

3 Likes

Hong Kong people who oppose One Country Two Systems come to Taiwan and make use of the Republic of China Nationality Law and relatively laissez faire regulations concerning household registration for Hong Kong people. And of course these pathetic English dogs do not even see the contradiction in it. :smiley:

Not even to mention Hong Kong people aka English dogs are further contributing to the scarcity of affordable real estate for young Taiwanese, do not do anything to alleviate the low birth rate and rack up NHI bills.

THAT is exactly not the sort of immigration Taiwan needs.

3 Likes

“these pathetic English dogs”? You swear like a comic-book villain.

1 Like

OK, didn’t expect that.

Hi Hsinhai, where can we find statistics for the economic impact of HK vs. Mainland vs. overseas immigrants on real estate, NHI, and other stuff?

When being sarcastic, you should add a :cactus: at the end in case we do not get it.

You are being sarcastic, right?

The Internet is full of ample information on Hong Kong people immigrating to Taiwan, in particular their socio-economic strata and age. Take this quote from one online source summarizing several reports compiled by Citibank and HSBC:

曹瑞濱認為,這群中產階級在香港的生活負擔沉重,但換到台灣來,卻是海闊天空。港人舉家搬遷到台灣,物價、房價低了,日子比在香港好過;他們到台灣可以開個店,做做小生意,這些都不成問題,畢竟台灣整體環境是相當友善的。

除了中產階級外,退休族群也是主力之一。誠如匯豐銀行所調查的結果,港人退休後不少人移民到台灣,主要是看上台灣都會區交通、醫療與生活機能和香港不相上下,才會選在台灣過下半輩子。

[Source]

In sum, Hong Kong immigrants are old and come for a healthcare system and real estate market they perceive as cheap or at least relatively more affordable than Hong Kong. How does Taiwan as a whole, and particularly young Taiwanese benefit from old Hong Kong immigrants who have an intrinsic tendency to leech on the NHI (old people just need more healthcare) and then also buy up real estate for the ridiculous prices offered, meaning they sustain the bubble?

As far as the impact of Mainlanders on housing is concerned, it is important to note that Mainlanders as defined by the Act Governing Relations between the People of the Taiwan Area and the Mainland Area are severely limited by the same act when it comes to any purchase of real estate. Effectively, Mainlanders may only own one unit per person. Aside, residence aside from joining family in the Taiwan Area is equally limited. Mainlanders do not have the same laissez faire avenue to immigrate to Taiwan as Hong Kong people.

Aside from Mainland spouses who do qualify for the NHI after a waiting period, the next largest group of Mainlanders in Taiwan - students - is entirely disqualified from joining the public healthcare system. If anything, their participation as young and healthy premium payers would be of benefit for Taiwan!

I liked that post before it sounded so harsh against the hkers and now it wont let me unlike it…

Weren’t Chinese students allowed into NHI last year or at least it was under discussion?

As of May 2, 2017, they seems not to be included yet.

Inclusion of Mainland Chinese Students in the Health Insurance System
https://www.mac.gov.tw/en/News_Content.aspx?n=CA7B5FA9C0EC7005&sms=D645444CA321A4FA&s=7F1AFE1D9DF7CFA6

(6) On March 21, 2017, the Social Welfare and Environmental Hygiene Committee of the Legislative Yuan held negotiations among political parties on draft amendments to the National Health Insurance Act. However, legislators of the ruling and opposition party were unable to reach a consensus. The chairperson decided to detain the bill and entrust the president of the Legislative Yuan to convene negotiations. The Legislative Yuan included the draft amentments in discussions on April 28 and May 2, 2017, but it has not yet started substantive deliberation of the bill provisions.

I am not against Hong Kong people per see. For instance, HK students in Taiwan are a largely transient population. What I am against is the immigration of retirees loaded with cash who lament One Country Two Systems, yet see nothing wrong with abusing the historical baggage in the nationality law applicable to Taiwan to unduly benefit from the NHI and accumulate real estate.

Taiwanese society is largely ignorant of this and for ideological reasons the government does nothing against it. Around 3 years ago, the DPP vehemently opposed including young healthy students from Mainland China in the NHI and would not accept them settle in Taiwan upon graduation from a Taiwanese university. Yet the DPP sees nothing wrong with more old people adding up to the demographic burden we are already facing on this island.

No they were not. The DPP is against healthy young students who pay premiums and generally require little health care, but sees nothing wrong with old age Hong Kong retirees plundering the NHI.

1 Like

The stuff about not allowing students from Mainland China to access the health insurance makes my blood boil btw.

The essence of the DPP

2 Likes

Pathetic…

I know, eh? Giving your dog a cigar, in 2018! :roll:

1 Like

From the MAC web site on this topic.
“On March 21, 2017, the Social Welfare and Environmental Hygiene Committee of the Legislative Yuan held negotiations among political parties on draft amendments to the National Health Insurance Act. However, legislators of the ruling and opposition party were unable to reach a consensus. The chairperson decided to detain the bill and entrust the president of the Legislative Yuan to convene negotiations. The Legislative Yuan included the draft amendments in discussions on April 28 and May 2, 2017, but it has not yet started substantive deliberation of the bill provisions.”
Obviously not a priority for the government, otherwise they could have simply used their large majority to push it through. I suspect the deep-green faction objects and there is nothing to be gained for Tsai in upsetting them.

hm?