Hong Kong Crowds demand Democracy

There’s a party in HK and Hu is invited?

[quote][b]Update: Crowds demand Hong Kong democracy

Hong Kong (dpa) - Tens of thousands of people Sunday demanded democracy for Hong Kong on the 10th anniversary of its return to Chinese rule, hours after China’s president warned them not to defy Beijing.

Huge crowds congregated in the city’s Victoria Park from 2 pm onwards including former deputy Hong Kong leader Anson Chan and head of the Catholic church Cardinal Joseph Zen for the annual march to demand universal suffrage.

Early estimates put the turnout at between 40,000 and 50,000, making it potentially the largest demonstration since the 2003 and 2004 July 1 marches which each attracted more than 500,000 people.

President Hu Jintao, visiting Hong Kong for the first time as China’s leader, earlier sounded an apparent warning to pro-democracy campaigners Sunday, warning them not to challenge Beijing’s powers.

In a speech to mark the handover anniversary, President Hu spoke of the “paramount importance” of national unity above any of Hong Kong’s singular interests.

But Hu left the city before the pro-democracy march began Sunday afternoon in a move that seemed designed to avoid any embarrassing confrontations. b[/b]
Bangkok Post[/quote]

and from Scotland -

[quote][b]In the teeth of the Dragon
JEREMY WATSON

CHINESE leader Hu Jintao inspected troops in Hong Kong yesterday as a weekend of celebrations to mark the 10th anniversary of the handover from British colonial rule got underway.

Since Chris Patten, the last British governor, left on July 1, 1997, China has tried to encourage Hong Kong residents to develop a deeper feeling for the motherland and consider themselves Chinese citizens - not ‘Hong Kongers’ distinct from their mainland compatriots.

The point will be hammered home this evening by a spectacular fireworks show over the world-famous harbour, which will spell out ‘Chinese people’ in red pyrotechnics.

There were fears at the hand-over that the Chinese army would invade, stifling dissent and ending Hong Kong’s freewheeling capitalist days. We spoke to four Scots who stayed on about how the former colony has fared since the Union Jack was lowered after flying for 156 years over this colonial outpost. [i](continued at link)
Scotsman.com[/quote]

Do you think they mean me and the several hundred thousand other non-ethnically Chinese people that call Hong Kong home? To be fair, it is a very honest gesture.

Let it rain, let it rain, let it pour!

HG

Make a Pink Gin (pm me for directions if required), walk to your patio, balcony, window or street facing the general directions of the fireworks, when they fire it up, hoist your drink and loudly sing “Waltzing Matilda” or another appropriate song of the Commonwealth.

Repeat as needed.

Good call! I’m sure the English lasses at the eatery near my place know how to make a pink gin and I may even join them in a round of Rule Brittania.

HG

Nah. Britannia certainly doesn’t rule the waves after that Iranian debacle. It would have to be Jerusalem. After three…

And did those feeeet…

Bring back Maggie Thatcher! She certainly knew how to squash this “Hong Kong Democracy” bullshit!

Hu’s on first?

Oh yea, democracy, I remember when the Brits brought universal suffrage and representation by population to HK in… what year was that?