Hong Kong is Finished

Hong Kong: UK makes citizenship offer to residents https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53246899

1 Like

If HKgers thought this would never happen they were too naive.

1 Like

Actually it plays nicely into China’s hand anyway. The people they consider troublemakers will leave, and they will import more mainlanders speaking Mandarin. I can even see them revoking citizenships of people who move to Britain. It isn’t as simple as if seems on the surface.

Do I see business bailing en masse…Not really.

4 Likes

It’s not the buildings that make Hong Kong great, it’s the people. 3 million gone will collapse HK and the businesses will move elsewhere. More mainlanders will just make it into another chinese city. Hong Kong is special because of its people and relative financial freedom.

8 Likes

They said that in the last Hong Kong exodus. The property price went down a little then rebounded and the businesses stayed. I doubt much will change.
I even said last year that the rioting was short sighted since there was no way China was budging an inch. I just didn’t expect so swift a reaction from China, I figured they would back off for a couple years before trying again .

3 Likes

Realistically, no way anything near 3 million will move.

And for all the very real ills of China, what are they moving to? A virus-ridden no-deal Brexit wasteland may quickly lose its luster.

Also, the current government has a horrible track record on keeping promises, ref the Windrush scandal. Prospective Brits might find themselves kicked out and effectively stateless.

3 Likes

Live on CSPAN

The international governments, and individual people, just dont care. Taiwan is next. China sees this as an easy and obvious win without any meaningful repercussions whatsoever.

2 Likes

CCP perhaps doesn’t want or need HK to be special anymore

2 Likes

With the new law, it seems a mere YouTube video which doesn’t jive with the CCP could land you in jail, even if you only transferred planes in HK. HK is going to suffer economically. People like me could easily be construed as hurting the CCP’s glass heart. Make a video about Taiwan…say President Tsai’s name…boom. Not going to China ever again, period. Tourism will be gone, businesses to Vietnam. I think the CCP is drinking its Cool Aid if it thinks common people like me won’t notice or feel affected by their meddling…

3 Likes

Doesn’t apply here though - In HK China has the police and gangsters to support and force the laws, no similar leverage here.

1 Like

HK was almost as rich as Singapore before the exodus now they are Taiwan level. That’s enough economic disaster imo. And it’ll be even worse this time around as China itself is also getting a lot of heat.

1 Like

That’s a little exaggerated.

Not on GDP PPP per capita its not. Also HK economy is contracting at high single digits for 2 years in a row now.

It’s not “a little” exaggerated, it’s absurd.
If China tried to invade, they will eventually prevail, due to their superior naval and air power, but they would still incur severe casualties, especially with any attempt at a land invasion.
Don’t underestimate the will of the Taiwanese.

4 Likes

I remember that day when I saw on live TV Britain handing back Hong Kong to China. But it wasn’t at full swing because Hong Kong is a special administrative region. by 2047, China will have full jurisdiction of Hong Kong. The CCP is just so impatient to want to build up their full control of Hong Kong.

5 Likes

I guess this is a good time for me to get the hell out of Taiwan.

You keep saying that…

5 Likes

I have to!
One good reason I don’t want to? the hot weather, it’s so good for my health.

F

2 Likes