Hong Kong is Finished

The UK government said that people with BN(O) will be eligible (currntly 350,000; 2.7 million still eligible). Since this applies only to people born before 1997, many of the demonstrators don’t qualify, being under 23.

2 Likes

Well back to this now:

Well, would not really expect them to say anything else (publicly).

4 Likes

I think HK professionals would prefer other English speaking countries such Australia, NZ or Canada, rather than Britain, plus the path to citizenship they offer is long and uncertain, 5 years work, then apply for settled status, after one year apply for citizenship, that’s six years before you can even apply.

I’ve had worse gigs… :idunno:

If they work in finance they would prefer Britian (well, London), otherwise Austraila and Canada are definitely top picks.

Exactly. I wont be going, or transfering through, China/Hong Kong/Macau ever again. And a lot of the people I know are in the same position. Now we all need to.either dkvorce China, or find a squeaky clean person to do the China runs…hopefully people realize divorce is the only long term option…but temptation trumps basic common sense :frowning:

2 Likes

If a Canadian can get locked up randomly in China because of Huawei in Canada, then anyone at anytime can be target. Interestingly, according to Thomas Sowell, up to 1994 the 67 million Chinese diaspora yielded the same economic output as the billion inside China. Chinese people seem to do better pretty much anywhere the CCP is not. Despite being discriminated against in a multitude of Asian countries from Malaysia to the Phillipines, Chinese people consistently earn more money than the local population which has discriminated against them. So, empirically, discrimination and economic disparity are not an easy 1-to-1 automatic correlation. This again is according to Sowell. I have plenty of overseas Chinese friends in those countries and have visited them. I would say my experience of hearing them talk and seeing their lives there only has confirmed this idea. Anywhere is better than being under the CCP. HK is screwed and those who can run, should.

1 Like

Same here. Last year i was transferring through china and i had to collect my luggage in china, and then check it in again on the layover. Which took hours of queuing (on top of the original taiwan check in). they also made me open it to make sure i wasn’t taking drugs into china, holding me up even longer and being rude bastards in the process…yes on a transferring flight. the whole thing was ridiculous.

Pudong Airport?

What could go wrong?

3 Likes

Worst airport and staff EVER! Save a few thousand by flying a shit airline, get what pay for.

Only good parts:

• Beer in the vending machine.
  • Telling the staff pushing Chinese learning videos for my non-existent kids that their characters are incorrect (simplified, but I feigned ignorance and pointed out the missing strokes)
  • Learning a menu alternative for sandwich (三文治) and tuna (吞拿).
  • The smoking room (with locked up lighters)

Stop. Just stop there. Quit yer bitchin.

1 Like

exactly. i thought it would be a better option than beijing, i had a transfer there once which ended up with a cancelled flight and a night in a shitty beijing airport hotel. its pretty standard. well, from now on, no more flights to china all together.

1 Like

Well, I didn’t really get to the bitching in detail, but point taken!

I still smile remembering the look on their faces and the silent pointing gesture of the officials when I innocently asked if the flights to Taiwan left from the 國內 or 國際 gates :grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

Get ready…

2 Likes

Third wave of covid19 exploding now!

Third?
Has the second passed already?

If UK had a problem, I doubt Chinese from HK would invite Brits, except on terms extremely advantageous to themselves