šŸ‡­šŸ‡° Hong Kong | Places to Visit, Eat, Stay

Just dont have a reason to go anymore.

There isnā€™t much work stuff going on related to HK anymore and it just seems less attractive than in the past.

5 Likes

Wonā€™t go to any of those places again until they are free. Glad I made the trip before hand. I did have to transit through Hong Kong a couple of times after Xiā€™s stupid laws though. Will have to avoid those in the future as well.

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised how many people in Taiwan say that, compared to, say, people in Europe or the US or SE Asia or Japan.

But I guess I shouldnā€™t be surprised. After all, Taiwan and China are technically still enemies.

P.S. Hong Kong was never free. It used to be a British colony.

Xiā€™s laws allow the arrest of any Taiwanese even in the airport. I am very against Chinaā€™s invasion of of Hong Kongā€™s self-governance, but at the same time, Iā€™m even more concerned about taking any chances in regions under Chinese control.

3 Likes

They actually allow the arrest of any human being who is suspected of breaking their laws. Not just Taiwanese.

3 Likes

I was just modifying my post to say that, but you beat me to it.

2 Likes

Hong Kong was blah even before all that mess.

Nah at one time was one of the best cities in the world

4 Likes

I visited in the 90s and also regularly until a few years ago. It was exciting in itā€™s heyday. Lost a lot of good people now but it will keep on motoring I guess just under a restrictive cloud.

It was ahead of the rest of Asia for a lot of things, like fashion, media etc

Remember 5 years ago HK was still competing with Singapore, but was way more fun and way more open.

3 Likes

We really need a new fun international city in Asia, that isnt fucking expensive as hell and anti fun.
Bangkok is good but still a mess in many parts of the city.

5 Likes

Saigon?

Kinda messy with all the motorbikes, personally a bit over that after living in Taiwan, although I like Vietnam as well.

Da Nang cityā€¦potential.

1 Like

Taipei I guess could be somewhat more international, but will never be that fun.

Shanghai used to be fun and international, but fuck that shit now.

I never really got the vibe in Shanghai at all. Felt it wasnā€™t really international as the % of foreigners compared to population was still pretty tiny. Would much prefer Singapore to there always.
Taiwan forget itā€¦never gonna happen.

The whole geography of Asia has changed in the last 5 years.

HK was the real hub of Asia for a long time, and where you went for the good jobs and doing China stuff. Now nobody wants to go to China

3 Likes

Yeah even Chinese I kmow donā€™t want to go and live there.

1 Like

Shanghai salaries are super high. Higher than Europe for a lot of positions. Thats the main draw I guess. A lot of foreigners have a lot of disposable income in Shanghai for that reason and there are a lot of restaurants, shops and services catering to them.

Also attracts the kind of foreigners who only care about money. I find a lot of the bars and restaurants are the kind you would find in Canary Wharf in London, shiny joints for the moneyed corporate types

But over now, Shanghai lost 30% of its foreign population in a year

You had to be there in the 20s.

3 Likes

Idk why Westerners all seem to like Hong Kong very much. Every time thereā€™s a survey on about ā€œmost boring travel destinationā€ or ā€œa place you would never visit againā€ on PTT or whatever, Hong Kong always wins by a landslide, followed by Singapore and Korea.