Hong Kong sentences 'Spider-Man'

cnn.com/2006/WORLD/asiapcf/0 … index.html

This guy is so cool.

Read this:

“It is a serious case of abuse of freedom,” Magistrate Josiah Lam said. “The defendant shows no remorse. He deserves no mercy.”

That guy is towing the party line for sure.

Hope Spider Man will be out of jail in time to protest in Beijing duing the 2008 Olympics. He can join the many foreign protestors expected to be hussled into waiting vans, all in front of the CNN cameras.

Man! He’s got balls!

Why? There are plenty of protests against TAM in Hong Kong all the time.

If he had balls, he would have done it in TAM. But then what’s the point? These sorts of short-lived stunts don’t achieve anything.

Why? There are plenty of protests against TAM in Hong Kong all the time.

If he had balls, he would have done it in TAM. But then what’s the point? These sorts of short-lived stunts don’t achieve anything.[/quote]
I agree. His little stunt is about like preaching to the already converted. I’d say that most people in HK were and are sympathetic to the Tiananmen protesters and their families. Most people around the world long ago made up their minds about Tiananmen. Most people outside of the mainland are highly critical of what happened. People on the mainland are either apologists for what happened, too scared to voice an opinion or too young to know about it. Climbing up on a TV in HK is not going to change any minds on the mainland. I seriously doubt that Hu Jintao said to Wen Jiabao: “hey, Spiderman says we were wrong, so I guess we better change our take on June 4.”

While there are people who question whether China would be better off if the country had taken a different path in 1989, and while people of that generation are nowadays just as cynical as their parents’ generation and equally withdrawn from idealism, you won’t find many apologists for the actual act of violence at the end.

That violence will always remain a pock-mark for those who sit in Zhongnanhai, because of the publicity of it. There has been a discernable distancing from the initial characterization of it as a counter-revolutionary rebellion. It’s now mentioned euphemistically as a “political storm.”

The guy deserves to be thrown in jail for holding up traffic. I’m all for that. There are plenty of HK-based protestors (tens of thousands every year on 6/4) who march in memory of Tiananmen, and in protest of Beijing’s crackdown… Spiderman’s more than welcome to join them in marching on the streets. This was just a selfish publicity stunt, appealing to the purile and immature.

At the end of the day, his opinion is also, quite simply, irrelevant. He has zero ability to influence anything, anywhere… but if his uselessness doesn’t bother him, then I say, keep climbing.