Hong Kong style restaurants

I do indeed, it’s fake soy sauce gloop that I have a problem with.

That and I am partial to the Thai method of seasoning, where you do it yourself at the table. Taiwan might be a democracy, but as far as small restaurants go, it is a sauce dictatorship.

I don’t find much good Hong Kong style food in Taiwan nor anything similar to Hawker Chan. It’s all Taiwanese’d.

I’m happy Hawker Chan showed up.

Even the Hong Kong style dim sum in Taiwan is Taiwanese. The taste and selection is mediocre. Some places don’t even bring chili or mustard to your table unless you ask for it. Some places don’t have mustard and some places don’t have the right chili, they only give you chopped up Chili’s.

Yeah I went to Brother Hotel, maybe at a rough guess, a quarter of the variety of a Hong Kong yum cha, maybe even less. They’ve tried to imitate rather than buy in a good chef and team I suppose…

The idiotic infusion of garlic into some classic HK dim sum is a tell tale sign you’re dealing with people who have no idea how to prepare such delicacies.

Oh well, I guess I wouldn’t expect HK folks to properly prepare Taiwanese dishes either. : P

Guy

1 Like

That’s it. I’m going to Hawker Chan for lunch.

1 Like

Maybe you were kind of right about ladling. At least at the Songshan branch. I usually love Hawker Chen but

There was like a bowl of soup under my noodles when finished and my throat felt like I had eaten a teaspoon of salt. There were other things wrong with the food there including smaller portions of meat than before.

20191021_115239Screenshot_20191021-122642_Maps

I don’t think Hawker Chan will last. They have a lot of bad reviews.

I bet that a Taiwanese brought the franchise to Taiwan and then tried to cut cost and quality and service every way possible.

So I Google map searched Hong Kong-style roast meat 港式燒臘 and looks like a lot to start checking. Hopefully some of them will have Hong Kong style noodles and other food.

Screenshot_20191021-123158_Maps

1 Like

As I mentioned already tonnes of HK people migrated to Taiwan and opened these chop shops. Of course HK style doesn’t mean they are all Hkers .
Anyway you can even find HK migrant owned restaurants in the smaller cities and towns.

Anyone try the place in 101, at the base of the escalator off to the side of the food court? I thought it was pretty good. Kam’s Roast

There’s an old school one on Dehe Road in Yongho I always wanted to go back to.

If only some of them knew how to roast duck and pork…

Ok too harsh, I did find a decent one up near Technology building MRT(?) one time, I can’t for the life of me find it on the web. There is a high street near the MRT station with an Oven coffee, a traditional dessert place and a Cantonese bbq, I will post details when I find it.

1 Like

88 in Xinyi is my favorite 茶餐廳 in Taipei. Pretty authentic

1 Like

Are you talking about this one several alleys behind the actual Technology Building on Heping (not the Tech MRT building on Fuxing)?
願有記 | Taipei

I’ve only had their HK style milk tea once, which was pretty good as I recall.

No it wasn’t that swish. From memory there were two shopfronts together, both seemed to be owned by the same operator.

It was this one, although it appears to have changed. The signage looks different, in fact something about Taiwan cakes. The one next door, same owner as mentioned, looks to still have BBQ, might be worth it if anyone in the area.

I actually like this area, food wise. Across the road you cut through a small park to the base of a medium rise building, and there is an Indo shop in an arcade with some fresh locally made bentos, desserts and stuff if you are game. I remember I found fresh Klepon there which I was pretty stoked about. I think they used too much green colouring though…

Best to enjoy Hk food in Hk!

Seconded.

And it’s cheap to stay in HK at the moment. Had three days there last weekend for £650
including flights from London. Plus you get to join in the fun - I took my own gas mask 'cos CS gas hurts :slight_smile:

1 Like

love those cha can tings. the staff are miserable as shit but the food is class and its just a good time.

1 Like

You haven’t tried the real Hk cuisine!

why not… i’ve been to hong kong like 5 times…

Any favorite cha canting?