Hong Kong style restaurants

Are you talking about this one several alleys behind the actual Technology Building on Heping (not the Tech MRT building on Fuxing)?
願有記 | Taipei

I’ve only had their HK style milk tea once, which was pretty good as I recall.

No it wasn’t that swish. From memory there were two shopfronts together, both seemed to be owned by the same operator.

It was this one, although it appears to have changed. The signage looks different, in fact something about Taiwan cakes. The one next door, same owner as mentioned, looks to still have BBQ, might be worth it if anyone in the area.

I actually like this area, food wise. Across the road you cut through a small park to the base of a medium rise building, and there is an Indo shop in an arcade with some fresh locally made bentos, desserts and stuff if you are game. I remember I found fresh Klepon there which I was pretty stoked about. I think they used too much green colouring though…

Best to enjoy Hk food in Hk!

Seconded.

And it’s cheap to stay in HK at the moment. Had three days there last weekend for £650
including flights from London. Plus you get to join in the fun - I took my own gas mask 'cos CS gas hurts :slight_smile:

1 Like

love those cha can tings. the staff are miserable as shit but the food is class and its just a good time.

1 Like

You haven’t tried the real Hk cuisine!

why not… i’ve been to hong kong like 5 times…

Any favorite cha canting?

the one near the hotel i stay at in wan chai… yea i can say the hk style bbq meat i’ve had in taiwan has definitely missed the mark compared to what i had in hk. so i stick to fried noodles or toast when eating hk food in taiwan.

1 Like

How’s the tea?

milky and strong

1 Like

LOL… ok, so went back again tonight and had the Char Siu with noodles just like the photo. So I see what you mean about drowning in sauce. Would disagree slightly with the engine oil comment though. Engine oil would imply high viscosity liquid where the pile of sauce was very low viscosity. Didn’t interfere with my noodles too much, just avoid the stuff at the bottom.

So… while wouldn’t say the place is “fantastic”, I have yet to find a place with better Char Siu. And despite all the sauce, I really like this type of noodle and it’s really not terribly common around here… to hard for the locals I suppose.

That was so good, I want to carry an extra meal home.

2 Likes

強記港式小館 https://www.google.com.tw/maps/place/強記港式小館/@25.03544,121.5455689,19z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x3442abd22fbf355b:0x4ca06f9e8d05ea3a!8m2!3d25.03544!4d121.5461174?hl=enThis is a great little place in the heart of Taipei I’ve been going to for close to 20 years. Same family runs it. The BBQ meats sell out early. Always before 8pm.
After 8 you can still get congee, or Hong Kong style noodles with wontons or dumplings. Recently, they’ve had cans of Schweps Cream Soda from Hong Kong.

3 Likes

I highly recommend Red Plate, a newly opened HK style restaurant right behind Taipower Building. Besides the authentic dishes, it is by far the cleanest HK style restaurant I’ve been to in Taipei, and that says a lot.

2 Likes

I ate at this one today and got the 3 meat combo on noodles. They are rude just like HK but I enjoyed the duck, sweet pork, and crispy pork very much. $155 nt for 3 meats. 老友記粥麵飯館
106, Taipei City, Da’an District, Lane 232, Section 1, Dunhua South Road, 16號1樓
02 2731 9098
https://maps.app.goo.gl/2S3Sk4ffFuDWNYAa6

2 Likes

Some time ago, those guys off Dunhua were really rude to me too. I have no plan to return, especially with such excellent food nowadays in the nearby Anhe Road area (Zoca’s, Avenue, Nomad, and so on).

That place looks like an awesome find. Thanks for posting about it!

Guy

1 Like

HKers are rude everywhere.

1 Like

Hawker Chan, although Michelin star and cheapo, having challenges in Taiwan. Already closed a couple locations.