šŸ‡­šŸ‡° Hong Kong | Places to Visit, Eat, Stay

No itā€™s not. Its not the same at all in Hong Kong and certainly NOT very common. Even finding restaurants at street level these days is tedious in Hong Kong. Hong Kongā€¦the most overrated foodie destination in Asia where you canā€™t even find restaurants easily anymore except in a mall.

1 Like

Itā€™s pretty much exactly the same. Little plastic stools, folding tables, beer, beer girls in beer outfits, stir-fried dishes. Although they serve Cantonese food instead of Taiwanese, obviously.

You donā€™t see them in street-level as much nowadays (ever since H5N1 and SARS). Youā€™ll find them at the top floor of most wet markets, but otherwise they are exactly the same as the ones in street level.

1 Like

Itā€™s not the same at all.
You are mostly referring to those small food stalls with plastic seats in Hong Kong.

Rechao places are much bigger with indoor seating also, much bigger menu and operation, beer girls, more choices of beer and alcohol , also some Japanese dishes too.

No, Iā€™m not.

:point_up_2: Iā€™m referring to this. No Japanese dishes though.

Yeah itā€™s really similar to Dapaidang

1 Like

Itā€™s not lol. Taiwan has market restaurants as well.

What Iā€™m referring to are not at all like the market restaurants in Taiwan. They are like rechao places.

I think I know what Iā€™m referring to, buddy.

Every semi tropical area in asia has outdoor informal restaurants. Doesnā€™t mean they are the same as Taiwanese rechao.

And as I said good luck in actually finding a street level or outdoor restaurant in Hong Kong anymore.

Chinese food
Round tables
Plastic Stools
Big bottles of cold beer

Itā€™s at least a very similar experience

Somewhat similar. But not the same thing.

Similarities, but not the same. :slight_smile:

You started this conversation by saying rechao is a very distinct Taiwanese dining style, and that you wonā€™t find it anywhere else in the world.

Sure, you wonā€™t find places that call themselves rechao dian anywhere else in the world. Why would you? Theyā€™re Taiwanese. You wouldnā€™t find Hong Kong daipaidong in Taiwan either.

Iā€™m saying there is the same kind of dining style in Hong Kong (at least 90% similar). The only differences are:

• Called something else
  • No Japanese food
  • Cantonese dishes instead of Taiwanese

Here are some pictures of what Iā€™m referring to. I ate here on my most recent trip to Hong Kong. They had beer girls too, but you donā€™t see them in any of these pictures. They are also becoming less popular in HK.

This restaurant is called Tung Po, and itā€™s one of the more popular ones in HK.

3 Likes

Really, more than Taiwan ?

1 Like

Yeahā€¦ the similarity stops at the tables, chairs and beers though. The food is only similar to the extend of being East Asian restaurant food, but not the same at all. Itā€™d be like saying Italian and French food in the restaurants are the same because the tables, chairs and wine are similar, and they are all European styled cuisines.

4 Likes

Oh no, I hope we can keep this thread at least somewhat positive about this aspect of Taiwanese food!

But Iā€™d say that Hong Kong is more famous worldwide as a food destination, whereas Taiwan is apparently famous as a food destination mainly for East Asians. For most North Americans and Europeans, Taiwan wouldnā€™t count as overrated, because they donā€™t have any expectations to disappoint.

4 Likes

HK has good food

Love čŒ¶é¤å»³ and also proper Dimsum places

3 Likes

Might never go to Hong Kong again now, shame, loved that city

2 Likes

We are comparing dining styles here, not the food itself. Obviously they serve Taiwanese food in Taiwan, and Cantonese food in Hong Kong.

Although the foods they serve in daipaidong and rechaodian are still similar in that theyā€™re mostly stir-fried dishes.

You donā€™t really see the normal stir-fried dishes in the photo above, because that page only lists the seafood.

Why not? Are you an anti-China author or something?

If you can go to Macau then you can go to Hong Kong. Macau passed the same National Security Law way back around 2000 or 2005.