Hoping to work in Taiwan as a foreigner (healthcare work)

Mod note: Personal information redacted.

I have a problem finding how I can work as a foreigner in Taiwan, hopefully in the healthcare industry since I have a local license from my country to practice my profession. I actually have a Taiwan passport because my father is Taiwanese. I’m aiming to have my Taiwan ID as soon as I can find a way to earn money while waiting for a year for it. However, there seems to be limited jobs I can apply for. I don’t have any certificate to prove I can converse in Mandarin, but I can hold basic conversations.

Here’s the first mistake. You don’t want to work as a foreigner in Taiwan.

Yeah. Do this. Don’t come as a foreigner. Don’t come as a citizen of your country. Does your passport have an ‘ID number’?

What ID number in my passport?

My father and I are still working on how to get me in their household registry first. So I should probably wait for my ID first before trying to find a job in Taiwan?

What I am saying is definitely do not come on your country’s passport and get an ARC like foreigners do. If you are in the household registry, you would have an ID Number.

Notice on this image it says personal ID number on the right.

Do you have this?

If not, then you are not a foreigner, but not in the household registry as well. That means you are a national without household registration. If you can come with the household registry already established, that will be easier, but I don’t know the process to get a work permit and TARC for a national without household registration. I’m just trying to warn you to not use your country’s passport in Taiwan.

1 Like

Ohhh. I just checked my Taiwan passport and it doesn’t have a personal ID number :frowning: Thank you.

If I ever get an ID, will I be able to work in the healthcare industry? Work such as phlebotomy, covid 19 swabbing/testing, or any work related to laboratory/testing?

Technically you could, whether or not the education is recognised is another issue. I don’t have experience with that so I don’t know.

So right now you are a national without household registration. The easiest is to have household registry and you probably need to do your year to get the ID card. As for the process, I am sure someone else with more experience will chime in.

Just don’t come on your country’s passport. Foreigners get ARC cards. Nationals without Household Registration get TARC cards. Very different. And you won’t get your ID card if you come in with your country’s passport and get an ARC card.

You don’t come in as a foreigner, you come in as a national.

1 Like

Yeah but only basic conversational level in Mandarin is a problem. You’ll need to be proficient to work most jobs here especially healthcare.

1 Like

Nobody will ask to see proof you can speak Chinese if you hold Taiwan nationality. Even as a foreigner, nobody has ever wanted to see a certificate to see I can speak Chinese, they just speak to me.

Ahh, so you’re asian

Mate, I’m as white as they come

1 Like

Depending on the type of health care work you do, there are national examinations and qualifications that are required here

What specific health care work are you talking about?

For example: Nursing Personnel Act - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan)

LOL, sorry. Read too much into your statement.

1 Like