Hornet Attacks in Taiwan

Thats one fucking mean hornet.[/quote]

:roflmao:

there are bears in TW? :eh:[/quote]

I know of at least one :whistle:

A friend’s husband was stung 3 times, which was enough to make him lose consciousness.

I’ve been stung on the throat by a wasp as a child … luckily I didn’t die :notworthy: … later in live (I was about 15) , I was stung several times over my body, as I was diggin’ out a wasp nest … needed the larvae as bait … but that wasn’t my fault, I was a ‘pro’ wasp-nest digger at the time but I left it to a subordinate and he screwed up big time … ‘fired’ him from the digging squad … :laughing: :popcorn: wasps can be mean … :ohreally:

I found the thread where i talk about my bee phobia viewtopic.php?f=54&t=69997&p=851944

monstersandcritics.com/news/ … net-stings

hornets are a real danger indeed where-ever they can be found !! I didnt know they were so aggressive. Used to go fishing in Wanli and came across a few buzzing around, but they never even attempted to sting us guys fishing on the pier.

Like these … they’re watching you!

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]Like these … they’re watching you!

[/quote]

That is a wonderful picture.

Ruifang District.

One dead.

This thread old but for continuity, I wonder if this is the only death since the last report here. And how often this occurs.

Possibly near here.
三貂嶺步道

1 Like

Bloody hell!

Guy

Seem these while hiking on the mountains of Central Taiwan. They were so large - about the size of my thumb - that I assumed they were beetles at first. Then got the hell out of there.

Here’s a man getting stung by an Asian hornet on purpose (skip ahead to 11:00). For the squeemish, be warned it’s pretty brutal.

1 Like

If you click on the news story, it has related news at the bottom. This kind of thing happens reasonably often it seems. Crazy.

I reckon they are attracted to bright colors, pink especially. Two (of what I believe were those Asian hornets ) buzzed the wife’s pink hat a month ago. They seemed more curious than aggressive that time.

Also what to if if they start attacking? I believe the best thing to do is keep running away because they will keep stinging in the hives vicinity.

They also eat human flessshhh.

1 Like

When I was a kid, we played soccer and the ball went into a wasp hive. All kids were running hitting and getting stung multiple times. One kid had to be hospitalized with 15 stings. Me standing right next to the nest did not get any sting. I stopped moving and kept my breath and then very slowly moved away.
They do recognize your CO2 (breath) and sudden movements.

5 Likes

and that’s why my ass doesn’t go hiking.

2 Likes

Looks like the hive was right beside one of those two short suspension bridges, but 3 stories high up, so I am wondering how they were triggered, just by people walking across the bridge? Possibly the “patrol hornets” flew out to check the people on the bridge and once a person started waving at them they called in the back up. Better not react suddenly (difficult to do, cause it’s just a natural reaction) when you see one or two hornets near you!

As a general rule for casual hikers, avoid wearing bright colors and perfume, listen to nature (you’ll hear hornets buzzing from the distance), keep quit and your stupid radios at home. The noise some of these large hiking groups make, there should be more incidents like this just based on that.

1 Like

High winds at the moment probably agitating them.

Responding to an old post in this necro-thread, but training on how and when to use an EpiPen takes about 3 minutes, and it’s not generally considered a particularly risky thing (we do send small children and those with 3 minutes of training off with them after all!).

I know some one that ended up in the ER a few months back.