Horrible Vet

I have gone to a vet near my house for about 8 months. Not because my dog is sickly, just for normal first time puppy things. There have been many times that the vet claimed my dog had some disease or some problem. I would pay to get medicine, shots, creams or whatever the vet said I needed. I bought food, toys, vitamins and tons of stuff from the vet. I also had my dog stay at his kennel about 6 nights. I always gave the doctor the benefit of the doubt and kept returning (I guess stupid on my part). The reason I am writing is because many many times the vet admitted to making a mistake and he told me many times that he just guessed what was wrong with my dog (even though I bought meds. or she had shots).
The day that I went in to have her spayed he changed the price to make it 500 NTD more and then said they were guessing before. The first time was quoted at 2500NTD, next time was 3,000 NTD. I said I thought I should have the first quoted price. He told me and my Taiwanese friend, “if you want the cheaper price, then I’ll give your dog the cheaper surgery.” WHAT A THREAT! I took my dog and walked down the road to a great vet!
The horrible vet is at: LUKE ANIMAL HOSPITAL, Xin Lung Rd, Sec. 2. Taipei City (near Xinhai MRT or Wanfang Hospital MRT)
DO NOT GO THERE!!! Or you will pay thousands of dollars that are not necessary.
Matt

Animal doctors are just like people doctors – there are competent vs. incompetent ones, and (not necessarily correlated) reasonably priced ones vs. greedy bastards, and even dishonest ones. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience. BTW, what prices was he asking for the neutering by different methods?

Welcome to Forumosa Matt.[quote=“MattC1979”]I have gone to a vet near my house for about 8 months. There have been many times that the vet claimed my dog had some disease or some problem.[/quote]Going to the vet many times within eight months makes it sound like your dog did have health problems. If your dog is healthy, all he should need is vaccinations and a check up once a year at the most. [quote] I would pay to get medicine, shots, creams or whatever the vet said I needed.[/quote]I don’t know what you were prescribed for your dog but you sure make it sound like your dog did need some treatment. If you went to the vet, your dog must have had symptoms from some kind of illness. What was wrong with him? [quote] The reason I am writing is because many many times the vet admitted to making a mistake and he told me many times that he just guessed what was wrong with my dog (even though I bought meds. or she had shots).[/quote]Helping a sick dog often means guessing what’s wrong and giving drugs accordingly. Most of the drugs have no long term effect on the dog’s health so a vet often will just guess and prescribe what he thinks may help. If you want to avoid that, you’d need expensive tests like blood-work, MRI, X-rays, etc. Many drugs as I said are not harmful so it’s easier and more cost effective to guess and administer drugs. You can look at it as mistakes or you can look at it as a way to pin point the problem without doing expensive tests which is usually the route a vet will take only after several treatments fail to help the dog’s condition.

[quote]The day that I went in to have her spayed he changed the price to make it 500 NTD more and then said they were guessing before. I said I thought I should have the quoted price. He told me, "if you want the cheaper price, then I’ll give your dog the cheaper surgery.[/quote] Sounds to me like your dog must have been healthy the day you went in to have it spayed. So in the end he did treat your dog successfully didn’t he? As for the threat part, I agree that’s not nice but maybe there is a language barrier issue here since cheaper surgery do not make sense. I really doubt that any vet would mess your dogs health because you short him 500 on the price. [quote] I took my dog and walked down the road to a great vet![/quote]How do you know the vet is great? Did he treat your dog for any illnesses? If he did, then I’m thinking your dog is sick often and you need to cut the poor guy some slack because your dog gets sick a whole lot or so it seems. It makes it hard to always know exactly what’s wrong.

[quote]The horrible vet is at: LUKE ANIMAL HOSPITAL, Xin Lung Rd, Sec. 2. Taipei City (near Xinhai MRT or Wanfang Hospital MRT)
DO NOT GO THERE!!!
[/quote] Posting that is borderline slander Matt. I doubt this vet deserves to have his shop address posted here because he wanted to overcharge you by 500 NT. That is not a big sum and despite what you consider mistakes, he did keep your dog healthy according to what you wrote. I suggest you edit your post and if you do, I’ll also edit mine to remove the above quote.

Good luck with your new vet and hopefully things work out for you and your pooch.

bobepine.

Does anyone else have positive or negative experiences with this vet?

Regarding my dog I will explain more. I guess I was too brief. I didn’t want to take up too much space.
I got my dog as a stray. She was just 3 weeks old. I took her to vet and got her first check up and worm pills (just in case). It ended up she did have worms, so I went back and met with the vet. His English is 100% perfect. There was never any language barrier or problems. Never.
I would go back to get my dog weighed, to buy food, to buy flea wash, to buy toothpaste so on and so on. So I was there often. Not because she was sickly. I took her there for the shots she needed, the vaccines etc. So that was a handful of times. Then my dog had some fur problem on her tail. The vet said it was fungus. He gave me cream. I went back after 3 weeks, got more cream, went back again after 3 weeks and got more cream. I then asked if maybe it was something else. The vet said it is SCABIES. NOt maybe or could be, he said it was. He gave her 2 shots and new cream. I called my vet friend in America and she told me they must do a skin scrape to check for that. On Monday I brought her in with that info and got a skin scrape which came back negative for Scabies. The vet said he’d guessed. He said he was sorry but he guesses usually he told me. I asked if she should get her poop checked for worms and I told him I didn’t mind paying the 100NTD. He said not necessary. Within 1 week she had worms come out her poop again, the first time didn’t make them go away. I went back, got the meds again. Within a month I went back and asked for a poop sample, the vet did the poop sample, it came back negative. So those were my many times to the vet.
In order to make sure there were not any misunderstandings about a big surgery like getting spayed, I brought my Taiwanese roomate in to ask them the price, etc. He talked to them in Chinese. No mis-understanding. As well in English the vet told me the same thing. I went back the day before and was quoted the same: 2,500 for the surgery. 500 for the chip in her neck and 300 to register that, total: 3,300NTD. I took the day off from work along with my TAiwanese roomate we went into the clinic. The vet said he would get ready. I showed him the 300NTD coupon his clinic had mailed me and he said yes, so the total for the surgery is now 3,000 with the coupon and 800 for the chip, total now 3,800 (even with the 300NTD coupon). I was confused. My roomate talked to him for sometime and the vet said they only guessed her weight, he said she had actually gained a lot of weight. I told him that actually she weighed 15.8 KG when we made the appointment, but that day without food she weighed 15.7 KG, so weight couldn’ t work. I told him I know this because at least 2x a week I would bring her to the vet to get her weighed and I would write the weight down. He said, “Oh…ok. Well then its a guess mistake sorry.” My roomate spoke to him in Chinese and the vet said, “Ok fine, if you want the cheaper price, I’ll give you the cheaper surgery.” I told him I would take her and go. He called me 5 minutes later and said he was sorry for saying that comment and he did not mean it! The look while he had said it and the tone made it even worse than the comment. That is why I want to warn people to go to other vets. We walked to another vet and the price was 2,200NTD plus 800 for the chip. This vet has been around for over 8 years.
So I am by no means slandering this vet. I do understand that most people do not want to have tests done to their pets, but medicine, needles, syrup should not be given. Scabies is a horrible thing to claim a dog has. As well I have never heard such a comment from a doctor about giving someone a cheaper surgery. There was also absolutely no language problems.
I will never step foot in that vet and I think others should go to a more respected, responsible and well-established place. It is not slandering a place if what has happened is true, therefore I did not slander the Luke Hospital on Xin Lung Rd. I think all pet owners in that neighborhood should go to better and honest vets.

He doesn’t sound like a guy I’d trust my dog with…

And you’ve gone to him for so long and he still was greedy and wanted to raise the price on you randomly.

what is its chinese name?
If you give their address or phone number then perhaps I can see if other people have had similar experiences with them.

Thanks for the clarification Matt.

You can post the name and address of your new vet if you’d like. Here’s the thread : [Vet List

bobepine