Hospital charges foreigners 30% more than Taiwan citizens

the spa treatment.

1 Like

OK. thanks.

Putting the temporary pandemic restrictions aside for a moment, you can come back to Taiwan under a tourist visa or visa-exempt status, no? Actually, prior to the pandemic, I’d say Taiwan was one of the easier places to come and go for extended periods without residency.

I’m pretty sure I read on Forumosa about people doing visa runs for years without questions being asked, and I know it was possible to find landlords willing to rent to people without ARCs.

There are other places with good weather where permanent residency and even citizenship can pretty easily be purchased. A number of them cater to foreigners and have very favorable tax regimes.

Not so sure what the benefits would be? In terms of passport power, Taiwan wouldn’t be a step up for Americans, Canadians, and most EU citizens.

Citizenship comes with both rights and responsibilities. The government people here are generally friendly, but there’s a ton of bureaucracy and not all of the offices you have to deal with as a foreigner are very user friendly.

I guess from where I sit, I’d want to see that the issues with government, banks, etc. were dealt with before I decided that I was interested in becoming a citizen. In other words, Taiwan would have to sell me on long-term residency (APRC) before I ever got interested in citizenship.

1 Like

With Taiwan it’s an all or nothing proposition .
As an APRC holder, you get pretty much few rights other than the ability to work where you want (but even that’s a crock, I’ve been told by large companies here no citizen card no job) but many responsibilities of a PR. You get citizenship and magically you are now a different person with every single right afforded to you since you have a card.
There is no middle ground.

2 Likes

For travel yes, but one, while the government has been generous, they didn’t have to do this. They can, at any time just do what the Schengen countries do and limit it at 90 days visit per 180 day period.

Oh yeah, and those who abuse it to live here unofficially certainly have earned my ire because it’s abuse of what is generally easy-going policy and when people abuse the government’s goodwill, then I’d expect things to get tighter. If the government suspects that large amounts of people are living here unofficially, they may get the idea that they’re working illegally. Also, who wants to be middle aged and in a legal limboland like a 21 year old.

Easily is…relative. I certainly do not have six figures in a bank account at the moment. But again, I want something from the country I put time and taxes in. I’m workin on that. :wink:

But, as long as the place is allowing dual citizenship, then it’s not exclusive.

Well… This is why we’re advocating for multinationality. At the current moment, yes, if it doesn’t fit with your life plans then yes, you might not find it to be of value.

However, with multinationality, it is not subtractive, it’s additive. If we’re attaining a nationality without losing one, then it is not a step down but only a step up. Citizenship confers rights instead of privileges and knocks down walls. Sure, the online nomad might not care and hops around from country to country on visa-free because it’s fun. But with multinationality attained from simply being in Taiwan, it’s just an extra set of rights with no effect anywhere else. I’m a dual citizen myself, on the surface the Italian and the Canadian passports may look the same, digging deeper, switching passports offers, in many cases some differences. For example, Macau gives me 90 days if I present myself as an Italian. 30 for Canadians.

South Korea affords me 60 days as an Italian, 6 months if Canadian. Obviously Italians can run all over the EU. Canada gets more time in the US. Taiwanese and Italians, funnily enough can go to Iran, a country not easy to get to for westerners. There’s also the working, living and travelling rights in China as well. Politics aside, maybe that might not be you, but some might find it important. For others, it’s for living here. For some, it is for easier cross-border business and trade. Not needing any sort of visas or paperwork or fees for the rest of your life. All sorts of reasons. But what’s the most direct access you get with an (extra) Taiwanese passport? Taiwan!

That’s right, and foreigners do encounter bureaucracy in other countries too, but it’d be a hell of a lot easier pill to swallow if I only need to put up with bullshit for a few years max, especially as I became more established. Scotiabank certainly made my ex girlfriend put down a C$12000 deposit when getting her credit card because she was a foreigner. Yes, there are established human rights commissions to take care of things like blatant discrimination at the stores etc because many western countries are multicultural now and know what to do in a situation. Taiwan, South Korea and Japan are late to the globalised multicultural party and Taiwan being one of the best in Asia is certainly an accomplishment too.

Well, I guess we have a chicken and egg scenario. Again, like I said, many of us are already or are approaching eligibility for citizenship here, ending all of these issues that we face. We just don’t have the means to give up places like Canada for very good reasons. We’re current and future APRC holders because it’s not feasible to take the loss of one or more home countries. Some of us need to have that entry home because of things like, easier cross-border business with our home countries, especially if we wanna sell Taiwanese stuff in our home countries, (Cause we know our markets) or things like taking care of family if they get sick. Mum’s not gonna be in a good position to go to Citizenship and Immigration Canada to sponsor me if she is sick or incapacitated and I can’t just go for 180 days. This traps us in PR by consequence. I certainly said ‘extra’ citizenship. All these issues become moot when the citizenship is attained.

This is why fighting for C40¢ is not a good use of our time. For us, to band together in attempt to help nudge the government forward towards the big thing that ends these issues for all of us when getting the extra passport. Then us foreign-born people can become constituents and become a voting bloc that pushes for a better and more effective human rights commission for the rest of us. We get into the club with one hand out the door to pull the rest of us in.

Sure, in your eyes, Taiwan has to sell you on the idea of PR or citizenship. Maybe that’s true, but you’re already here and have been sold into spending SOME time. If you find yourself approaching your five years, you just get it anyways because PR and (hopefully multicitizenship) is not a loss to you and only adds doors and choice. I like choice Even if you never use the doors. It’s nice to have. I cannot see myself going to Croatia…but I can. Maybe I will want to. Maybe you will want to come back in the future and retire by the seaside in Pingtung, I dunno. Having the full option is nice. BTW, Taiwan doesn’t have a retirement visa at the moment. The selling aspect is a two way street, country needs to sell you the idea if they want you to come here and you need to sell the country the idea that you are good for the country if you wanna come in. Once we can get multicitizenship and our rights, then nobody needs to sell anymore and like I said, it’s additive.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

Continue here.

Some hospitals charge differently to nationals and foreigners. I’m not sure how NHI holders are treated there, but some hospital say NHI holders or not, so they might mean all foreigners.