Hospitals with a doctor who speaks English fluently in Taipei?

In Taipei, can I have a list of hospitals with a doctor who speaks English fluently?

Any division of medicine is fine. Emergency, surgery, dermatology, or anything.

What’s the purpose - are you compiling a list of English-speaking doctors in Taipei or something?

Most doctors here speak some level of English in my experience (with some exceptions, of course). I suspect that every single hospital will have at least one doctor who speaks English fluently (as the question is phrased), so the “list of hospitals with a doctor who speaks English fluently” will probably just be a list of all/most of the hospitals in Taipei. Might be worth clarifying what you’re looking for.

1 Like

Doctors are usually pretty smart or hard working people, and English fluency is a requirement of the job. All medical information must be logged in English. So unless they are very old traditional Chinese medicine doctor, they will know English fairly well. Many of the better ones got their medical degree in the US.

7 Likes

IIRC, the Legislative Yuan had to pass a law saying doctors had to be able to speak Mandarin and Taiwanese to their patients to qualify, as too many of them could just give medical advice in English (had younger medical students tell me- while studying English - they had real problems learning medical Taiwanese.
I start out with my own doctor with greetings and chit-chat in Mandarin, then switch over to English terminology, even with Chinese grammar.

1 Like

Yeah, they need TOEIC point 9, the same as pilots, so not easy.

It will be TOEIC 990 or IELTS band 9. I doubt it’s that high, but maybe

A pedant writes…

oh ok , my next door neighbor is a young doctor in the military she said Toeic , but yeah 9 something so I guess 900. TOEIC looks tricky, some of the grammar questions are kind of confusing. I am not sure I could get that high :rofl:

1 Like

Unless you mean TOEIC 900+?

1 Like

Yeah , I think 900 something , for military doctors and 850 for pilots, maybe someone can check it.

If you don’t fall asleep you should 990 on TOEIC if you’re a native speaker. Having said that, I know of one guy who only got 950.

1 Like

I do not focus well if something is too long and boring. I am not confident lol
Actually I am , but just saying over 900 is pretty hard.
As for IELTS how many people ever get 9 ?

1 Like

Educated native speakers get a 9.

1 Like

Don’t know if you really intended to respond to me rather than the OP, but I’ve definitely met several doctors at major hospitals here who can’t speak functional English (aside from medical terms and a few simple phrases). They’re the exception rather than the rule though, as I said already.

From personal experience, both the hospital that you visit and the department you are visiting matter.

If English is important, I look at bios listed on websites that indicate schooling and publications.

1 Like