Hostels in Taichung-info greatly appreciated

Saw that Hacienda Hostel had some good rates, but the email address from online is shite. oops. anyone know if they are still in biz and what their current email address is?

if not, or if you have any info on a super cheap hostel to stay in, pls let me know. I am going on Sat and depending on a few factors will stay either 1 or 2 nights.

Thanks,
D

The Hacienda is closed.

The Fuh Chun Hotel is just across from the train station on the left as you exit and has rooms from NT500. It’s old but most rooms are fine. The number is 2228 3181 and the address #1 Zhongshan Rd. The two ladies who run the place are sweet as pie and offer guests fresh fruit everyday. I stayed there once when I was sick and the grandma delivered a plate of cut starfruit, a bottle of sarsparilla and salt to my door at no charge.

The only true hostel left in Taichung is run mostly for students. It may or may not let you in. The address is #64 Dehua Street. The number 2231 0879.

Taichung International Youth Hostel
No. 628, Buzi Rd., Beitun District, Taichung
台中市北屯區部子路628號
Tel: (04) 2239-9809
Fax: (04) 2239-4133

You need YH membership, i.e. membership of the Youth Hostel Association in your home country or a Hostelling International Card. If you haven’t got one already, you can buy your membership, or a welcome stamp (1/6 of annual membership fee) when you arrive at the hostel.

www.yh.org.tw

[quote=“Juba”]Taichung (Taizhong) International Youth Hostel
No. 628, Buzi Rd., Beitun District, Taichung (Taizhong)
台中市北屯區部子路628號
Tel: (04) 2239-9809
Fax: (04) 2239-4133[/quote]
This is out of town, just below the hills at Dakeng. Good spot for hiking. There are probably some regular buses between there and the city centre.

If you are a teacher you have the $$$ to get a hotel. Many cheap hotels near Pig Pen, Lion King and also by Frog II near sogo.