Hot beverages can lead to weight gain, Taiwan nutritionist says

“They” usually say cold beverages are bad in winter, now one nutrionist is adding hot beverages. I have a friend whose (Taiwanese) wife heard too much water is bad for you so he is limited on how much water he is allowed.

The facts in this story really point to 1) drinks with sugar are bad for you and 2) drinks with caffeine and nothing else cause your blood sugar to spike.

large cup of hot bubble milk tea with a full serving of sugar contains nearly 650 calories, or the equivalent of about 32 sugar cubes

I go out on a limb here and say the same bubble milk tea COLD has the same amount of sugar but I’m no nutritionist.

1 Like

Come summer, and you’ll see the same article with winter and hot scratched out and replaced with summer and cold.

1 Like

One nutritionist going against 2000 years of tradition.

Knew it. That’s why I am sticking to cold beer and room temperature whisky.

3 Likes

I always wonder why people line up at one of these ‘brown sugar bubble’ places … oh wait, brown sugar is healthier! :rofl::scream:

And lack of sleep leads to weight gain, to much rice let’s your belly balloon.

This is why I don’t trust nutritionist. They give the worst cooker cutter advice. They said me and my tiny gf and mom when I went with them once that we should be fine eating the same amount and portions. I explained that I obviously need a more high caloric and protein rich diet and more carbs to give me energy for working out. She had no real answer and said I look like I was taking steroids. Which is I guess a complement but I got nothing against guys taking steroids. Go workout with a pro bodybuilder or a fighter doing 6 hour a day fight camps and tell me steroids is cheating or whatever. Most people will never have the work ethic for that and are quick to say oh he’s on steroids.

What really irritates me about nutritionists is that most of them arrived at their career via a liberal-arts route and have no scientific training. Nutritionism has become something like astrology, full of its own vocabulary and woo-woo ideas that mean nothing back in the real world. The OPs article is a classic example (“ant-type” people … WTF?).

References? Pure surmise. This publication suggests that the exact opposite is true:

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/12/2990

There are definitely a few good nutritionists (typically with a medical or hard-science background) who understand the truism “if it doesn’t agree with experiment, the theory is wrong”. But those are the exception rather than the rule.

LOL. How would you even know if someone is taking steroids just by looking at them? Unless they have symptoms of chronic abuse (obvious gynecomastia, say) it’s impossible to tell without a blood test. Modern steroids have very few side effects if used properly, and from the photos you’ve posted here you’re clearly not the hulk-sized cartoon character that’s only possible with steroid use.

Love the comment at the bottom of the article:

I think she didn’t understand how I say I can eat 2-3x times of what she says I should eat to be healthy and not be overweight or something.

She was also giving stupid exercises advice. I’ve met some trainers with nutrition degrees and know their stuff in combination with how the real world works vs text book information.