Hot drinks are a carcinogen?

“The WHO has also listed soup or beverages hotter than 58oC as a carcinogen, he said, advising people to wait for the liquid to cool if it feels hot to the tongue.”

TT story

Cold drinks, FTW baby

Sigh. Bloody everything is listed as a carcinogen these days, except actual carcinogens.

I’ve stopped listening to these pronouncements on food. It’s all just unbelievably stupid.

My uncle died of esophageal cancer and the doctors did actually blame it on him drinking hot tea. The fact that he also smoked (rollups and a pipe) apparently didn’t even register on the risk-factor scale.

2 Likes

It’s not just a matter of being carcinogenic. Try a beer at 6 degrees and one at 58 degrees and I’ll guarantee you will choose the one at 6.

3 Likes

RIP :frowning:

Thing is though, who even drinks boiling-hot liquid? You can’t. High 40s is about the maximum that’s comfortable. By the time it gets to your esophagus it’s probably no more than 40.

The whole thing reminds me of the WHO pronouncement that “meat is a carcinogen”, despite several big studies showing no significant statistical association with cancer of any sort, nevermind causation.

2 Likes

And I know people who refuse to drink anything cold because they say its bad for health.

1 Like

Hot af black tea is common in middle east and surrounding countries.

I think it’s safe to say that smoking, heavy drinking, and obesity are carcinogens that we need to worry about (at least in terms of what we are in control of).