Hot sauce, do I need to stock up?

Hot sauces are like beer or wine - you need a variety so they can go with a variety of things. :wink: Tabasco is great when you don’t want the hot sauce flavor to get in the way, but just want a touch of hotness and tang - iirc, it’s just fermented Chiles, vinegar, and salt. Great with fried chicken and bloody Marys for example, where you’re bringing the flavor from other ingredients. :wink:

5 Likes

Its nice there is so many choices , and seems more and more as time passes.

4 Likes

Tried all of the Empress sauces. Really good, diverse flavor and more balanced vs Anita’s, but just barely any heat (at least for anyone who’s reasonably used to spicy food), so I’m getting through these bottles pretty quick. 1-2 varieties that pack a bit more punch would be great.

3 Likes

Thanks for the report, and for me I prefer the heat.

1 Like

I just tried the Empress ghost pepper hot sauce. Was not as hot as I expected. Definitely hotter than Tabasco, but not by that much imo. Feel like the cost is a bit high for such a small bottle.

1 Like

I ordered Empress’s Autumn Festival special. 10/10 can recommend!

4 Likes

I got Eddie’s Cantina’s hot sauce the other day…it is very hot and a great flavor. Also quite expensive.

3 Likes

I’m addicted to Marie Sharps habernero, the original one. There was an ad on my Instagram from a local importer, so I bought three bottles. One is already gone. I like it because vinegar isn’t the main ingredient. It’s carrot based, but not sweet. Great flavor with the right amount of heat and no damn sugar.

Ingredients: select red habanero peppers, fresh carrots, onions, lime juice, vinegar, garlic, and salt

4 Likes

Soinds very pure. I always avoid sauces with guar or xanthan gymy.
You can never have too many kinds of hot sauce. I’m enjoying this chili garlic sauce.

1 Like

that was my go-to chili sauce in canada, haven’t found one i like here yet but i do like the variety!

1 Like

we could use those tastebuds on the whiskey thread!

3 Likes

I might have brought that one over from the states, but I am seeing the same brand of Sriracha in Carrefour and Jason’s. Nice, fermented flavor.

1 Like

You can find it in the Southeast Asian grocery stores.

1 Like

Which whisky thread?

@marasan gives some helpful taste/palate/balance reviews not unlike your hot sauce review (i mostly just drink it)

2 Likes

Hots sauce is best enjoyed as a condiment and not as a beverage :wink:

2 Likes

!

1 Like

I agree, a bit pricey. But thats only compared to garbage production. I am willing to pay for things grown locally, sustainably and with care. Sauce isnt a staple anyway, its a luxury item. As it lasts a long time, i am happy to pay for quality and pollution reduction :slight_smile: especially when its just a few nt per meal difference.

Have these been discussed? Had this sauce at Dos Tacos in Hualien. Excellent taste. Made somewhere in Taiwan.

IMG_20210730_114401~2

IMG_20210730_113953~2

4 Likes

Yup, they are everywhere now :slight_smile: i like their pineapple one.

1 Like