Hot sauce, do I need to stock up?

Ok, went and got a bottle, and yep, it’s hot. :slight_smile: Think this little bottle will last for a while as little as I used to feel the spice.

1 Like

I hope you enjoy the flavor in addition to the heat. I love adding it to a masala (or really any Indian “spicy” sauce based dish) or a bowl of noodles.

Do you happen to have some low calorie dishes that is easy to make in bulk and can last a week? Keeping in mind that the ingredients needs to be easily attainable in local supermarkets. :slight_smile:

I don’t cook or shop that way, so I’m probably the wrong person to ask.

I don’t count calories, but I do try and limit carbs. Perhaps a big crock pot of chili would be good for you…very easy to make in bulk, but you might have to go to a non-local market to get some of the spices.

Seconded for soups, curries, chili et. We make big batches to freeze as well. Just sucks in the summers here.

You make your own sauce? We have a chile tree but mostly cut it up fresh and use it.

1 Like

Seems pay is still too low in UK, drivers can make more doing something else also a job not everyone can do.

1 Like

Many sauces we make ourself, but not hot sauces because we like the local “craft hot sauces” available currently :slight_smile: no sense reinventing the wheel haha.

Lets do conspiracy theories proper: Elon musk after going to china made the virus with the ccp in an effort to promote his AI vehicles. HAHA

I am kidding in case some didnt find it obvious :slight_smile:

Good that buy local. And good you make your own (food and drinks?) too.

1 Like

A question for those in the know: Where does Anita’s hot sauce stand on the scale of “hotness”?

I’d never bought hot sauce before until a few days ago, when I picked up a couple of bottles at Carrefour (The Classic and The Ghost) out of curiosity. I’ve mostly been using The Ghost and I was expecting it to be way hotter, like unbearably hot at first, but I don’t find it too bad. I’ve basically been using it as a kind of dip, and I definitely enjoy the flavor, but I always assumed that hot sauce would be, you know, hotter…

So, is Anita’s unusually not hot for a hot sauce, or are my taste buds broken…?

(For reference, I use small amounts of chilis sometimes when cooking, and am used to eating quite spicy Thai and Indian food, but I don’t think I’m unusually resilient to chilis.)

1 Like

I picked up the sample pack at the Kaohsiung food show this weekend, i have attached the contact information for anyone wanting to try.

Made in Eswatini one of our few diplomatic allies.

3 Likes

Love the branding! How do you like them?

Hope the makers will be OK, Eswatini looks pretty dangerous right now:

Wasn’t the country called Swaziland, and they changed the name because they got tired of being confused with Switzerland?

Only got them home last night so haven’t had chance to try them properly,
i will feed back once i do (if i remember).

i remember reading an article about this and seeing the communist party mentioned quite a few times, not a place i’m that well up on the politics, so just hope everything works out peacefully.

Did you try it at the show? How was it? Bottle looks nice and hope taste matches.

No I got the sample pack so I could try it at home.

A quick note on chili in taiwan. Most are open pollinated, which means they are often muts after a generation going forward. Plus the climate here, so the peppers have far less heat than hot dry areas with reliable seed sources (Eg. India, Mexico, USA). The issue after that is most growers dont have the knowhow, nor the skill, to line breed plants in a controlled manner. Those that do have such skills dont see enough scale in craft hot sauces to bother investing the time and capital in breeding for such a tiny market. It really makes no sense from a financial point if view.

That all said, i find most of the craft hot sauces in taiwan quite good. Anitas, Empress, macho, mamba etc etc plus all the different market folks and restaurants that make their own hot sauces. There rarely is a shitty one. But if you want truly crazy hot, based on above, you will need to import, or get a company to commit to contract farming to actually start getting TRUE top heat out. So far, none seem big enough, though they are growing bigger. maybe in the future the tides will turn and shit will get done right. But to be honest, i find all the “ghost” (almost all hybrids of hybrids) type sauces here very good, and quite hot. They can always add more pepper to the recipe if more heat is needed…

1 Like

Just ordered three bottles of these on Shopee (peri-peri, habanero chilli, and cayenne chilli). The product page is here.

There’s some 11/11 discount voucher for 21% off for the next 40 mins, so the total was NT$708 for the three bottles with delivery (rather than NT$897).

In other news, I’ve gone a bit over the top ordering hot sauce the last few days - those were bottles #9, #10, and #11. Addictive stuff! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Have you tried is one, is very hot to me. I got one at Dollars near Wenzhoa College, its Southern Taiwan one so if you come down South you can buy some.
a reply on Sep 16, 2021