Hotel/B&B in Kyoto

Hi guys

Since there are many people on the forums who love traveling and maybe some have been to Kyoto, I’d like to ask if you could recommend any hotel or B&B -not a hostel- in the area. Safe, clean, reasonably priced.

Thanks a lot.

[quote=“Icon”]Hi guys

Since there are many people on the forums who love traveling and maybe some have been to Kyoto, I’d like to ask if you could recommend any hotel or B&B -not a hostel- in the area. Safe, clean, reasonably priced.

Thanks a lot.[/quote]
Lonely Planet actually makes some good recommendations for Kyoto. Last time I went I called a place out of a Japanese travel magazine I picked up in Tokyo (Eslite might have some here to check out). I don’t remember the name, but it was a fantastic, tiny place hidden away in Gion. Great food & service in traditional style, but they spoke no English & it was kinda pricey. Just picked it based on price & photos - there were lots to choose from.

There are hundreds of traditional Japanese inns (ryokan/旅館) in Kyoto, as it’s one of the few cities not utterly destroyed in WWII. My favorite place to visit in Japan (despite all the tourists :slight_smile:) since there are no high-rises and lots of temples, traditional sites, parks, etc.

Avoid “hotels” and search for ryokan near the sites you want to visit. Prices range from cheap hostel to upper luxury, depending when you go & where. Many also include meals, and offer western or traditional options.

Gion district is centrally located with lots of inns & access to temples, etc. There are others further out in the hills near hotsprings if that’s what you’re looking for. Take train to Kurama north of the city (or to Kibune & hike from there) and visit the hot springs - great in winter.

BTW, Kyoto’s COLD in the winter!! Not Taipei “cold” like people this week all dressed like they’re in the Alps even though it’s still like 25C … it’s REALLY cold! Dress/pack accordingly!

Don’t miss:

• Kinkakuji 金閣寺: touristy, but beautiful
  • Kiyomizu-dera 清水寺: great view
  • Ryu-an ji 竜安寺: if you’re into rock gardens
  • Hei-an Jinja 平安神社: and gardens in the back (not as pretty in winter as summer, but still nice, esp if it snows).
  • Fushimi Inari 伏見稲荷 shrine w/1000 torii gates
  • get out of the city a bit to lose the tourists. May require bus travel.

Going for a week or so? Planning to travel a lot or just stay in Kyoto? If multiple cities on a whirlwind trip, look into “Japan Rail Pass”, only available outside Japan & just about pays for itself after a roundtrip Kyoto-Tokyo bullet train ride.

Ok … not about specific hotels … sorry. Hope that helps!