šŸ˜· COVID - Hotel for self quarantine

Hello, Iā€™m visiting Taiwan next month. Iā€™ve been looking for hotels to self quarantine but couldnā€™t find anything with reasonable price. So far Iā€™ve tried bookings and several other websites. Is there any services at the airport if i donā€™t book my hotel online?

1 Like

Official website provide from Taiwan government.

https://taiwan.taiwanstay.net.tw/covhotel/

5 Likes

Anyone here have a recommendation for q-hotel with a private added bedroom (like a small suite) for separate teenager sleeping?

1 Like

Hotel quarantine question: so itā€™s three days of quarantine (and four days of whatever). But the first day you arrive is day zero? How does that work, and how many days would I need to book a hotel?

More specifically: my flight will probably land around 4:30am. I could arrive at a hotel, I dunno, 8 or 9am? Letā€™s say thatā€™s on a Saturday. Does that mean I have to book the hotel for Friday night? And if Saturday is Day 0, Sunday Day 1, Monday Day 2, Tuesday Day 3 ā€¦ Iā€™m free on Wednesday, after having paid for five nights? Or is there a night at either end that I donā€™t need to worry about? What happens if you show up at 9am and thereā€™s no room available until 2pm?

OP, sorry to sort of thread-jack, but this seems the best current thread to ask these questions. At least I can provide another link (youā€™ve likely already seen it): https://quarantinehotel.gov.taipei/

(Iā€™m sure these are answered elsewhere, but those threads are big.)

1 Like

I donā€™t know about having to book quarantine hotel for Friday night. Iā€™m guessing no, because itā€™s a quarantine hotel and probably has to allow for travelers to arrive any time during Day 0.
However, I believe you cannot just leave on Day 4 (following Days 1-3), as the +4 days still should be at the hotel.

From eTaiwan:

What locations can be used for quarantine?

A: The quarantine location must either be an epidemic prevention hotel or a residence that can meet the one person per household requirement. In principle, the arriving passenger must spend both the three days of quarantine and four days of self-health monitoring in the same location.

1 Like

Yeah, thanks: Iā€™ve seen that as well. The contradiction between ā€œin principleā€ and ā€œmustā€ isnā€™t exactly clear!

Arrival day is Day 0, regardless of time of arrival. 430am, 430pm, still Day 0.

I guess probably need to arrange directly with hotel for arrival time and booking requirements. I did not stay in hotel.

Could possibly hang around airport awhile before getting in taxi, but there are lots of authorities around watching, asking, etc. Sooooā€¦

They are authorities kind of watched or even talking to people direct from saliva test to taxi. And they are walking around airport talking to people that appear to be lulling around.

You can go out on day 4 and following for ā€œnecessitiesā€ following your first negative self-test, one of two take home self tests provided at airport.

Can move quarantine location once during the 7 days period.

My recent experience.

2 Likes

Based on my 7+7 in May, youā€™ll need to book 8 nights at the Quarantine Hotel

After 12:00am Weds (Tues night) youā€™ll be able to leave the hotel, but must return to sleep there

After 12:00am on the following Sun (Sat night) youā€™ll be free to leave (donā€™t need to spend the rest of the night if you want to go home ā€“ confirmed this with the police officer on Line that they have you add). Youā€™ll still have to pay for the full night though.

The bookings are designed to let you check in at any time of day on your Day 0 (I think they legally need to be cleaned and ā€œaired outā€ for a period of days before the next guest can come in so are vacant anyway)

1 Like

You might be able to negotiate with the hotel to check in early for free, or they might charge you for an additional 1/2 day. Itā€™s unlikely that they will charge you an additional night for arriving early (Find another hotel if they do). You are supposed to quarantine at the same location during the +4 as well, so you will have to book at least 8 nights.

1 Like

Thanks for the points all. Huh, this is more confusing than I expected (my expectations were foolish). So it seems like if I get permission from the local health authority (?) I can change from hotel to home mid-way through the week: BUT Iā€™m unsure if my wife (who has remained in Taiwan) can be at home if I do that.

Alternate plan is wife stays in a hotel instead and I stay in the apartment for the quarantine part, but weā€™re still trying to figure out if sheā€™d have to wait for the full seven days to be join me back home, or just the quarantine portion. (Her in a hotel, me at home, would dramatically improve food options for me, and leave hers unchanged, and potentially lessen her commute a lot. Plus perhaps net save money.)

Darn. I really thought this was ā€œonlyā€ going to cost 3-4 nights in a hotel. It increasingly looks like itā€™ll be seven, whether for me or for her.

1 Like

Alternate plan is wife stays in a hotel instead and I stay in the apartment for the quarantine part, but weā€™re still trying to figure out if sheā€™d have to wait for the full seven days to be join me back home, or just the quarantine portion. (Her in a hotel, me at home, would dramatically improve food options for me, and leave hers unchanged, and potentially lessen her commute a lot. Plus perhaps net save money.)

I believe that she would have to book and stay 8 nights in a different hotel (but probably could visit you during the 4 day period? And just return home at night?)

Regular hotels would be a lot cheaper with a lot better options though ā€“ most quarantine hotels are $3000NTD a night for a 2-star hotel

1 Like

yes. Wife cannot stay over for even the +4 days/nights. Best to just visit each other in a park, at a distance, blowing kisses at each other like young lovers. Okayā€¦ just kidding. IIWII.

1 Like

No if you change locations you still have to follow the one person one residence rule.

If she stays in a hotel or Airbnb you would save money. If you book a quarantine hotel you will have to book 8 nights and in my experience they wonā€™t refund if you change locations. So that means going home in the day and staying at the hotel at night. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

This is the amusing/ ironic/ infuriating part. As far as I can tell we can totally spend the +4 days together in our apartment, but then at night one of us has to head out to the hotel for safety or whatever.

And for those out there who need to book hotels for mid to late August: uh oh. I seem to be doing this too late.

I donā€™t know how to ā€œreadā€ the different hotel websites that days: they all keep saying things like the better room just sold out today, but this room is available NOW and not for much longer. Itā€™s such a uniform push to rush purchasing that I donā€™t really believe them.