Hou You-yi - Love 'im or Hate 'im (2022 Election)

I think it’s up to interpretation but roughly

下 Xinzhuang is kinda rough in my opinion

2 Likes

Thanks. I’m more familiar with 上

Me too. That’s where I live. It’s a super convenient place too, we have everything.

2 Likes

Yeah, it must be one of the better areas of NTC for sure.

1 Like

Where is FJU in this division?

Asking for a friend. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

Lower Xinzhuang

1 Like

This point, which I made back in April, turned out to be correct, as Hou recently cruised to re-election as mayor of New Taipei City.

Looking ahead to 2024 and the upcoming presidential election, one wonders if Hou will make the jump to national politics—and if so, whether he can gain control of the KMT machine, which has (ahem) not exactly treated bensheng party members as leadership material (their last foray in that respect was Lee Teng-hui, which worked out great for Taiwan, but which die-hard Chinese nationalists seem to view as the greatest disaster possible for the party, as Lee’s reforms led to a genuine multiparty system).

So does Hou stand a chance? Don’t count him out, says Michael Turton is his latest column in the Taipei Times. Why? He is the ultimate business-as-usual politician with an electorate that seems—at least according to Turton—to be view this trait as a plus. Read the article linked below to the end to get to the punchline.

Guy

Yes I did. And I was right.

Btw, I love your long post above explaining all that’s wrong with planning in New Taipei. It reinforces the main points made by Turton in the article linked above.

Guy

I tried. I tried to tell them to tap into the anger. I explained there is method behind Han Kuo Yu’s madness.

But they played it safe.

Who is “they”—the DPP?

And how is Han’s frothy populism relevant to Hou’s business-as-usual approach?

Guy

The DPP has obviously been the opposition in New Taipei for almost 20 years.

I’m not talking about Han’s populist policies, but his ability to tap into what were maybe mild inconveniences and convince people that there are real problems. That it doesn’t have to be this way.

The DPP played safe and use China as a crutch. I can easily turn little annoyances into outrage.

Lack of sidewalks? Outrage
Lack of buses? Outrage.

Han could turn anything into outrage.

DPP members showed me their huge rallies. I said of course they’re huge, they’re full of your supporters. Go talk to the people on the fence that are kinda satisfied. Show them that things aren’t right in Shitty Ho’s New Taipei.