Hours per week vs. cost of living

Possibly lowest in the world, excepting a blip for year of the dragon. Many people can’t afford more than one, and many wait until they are too old and find they can’t have children or have too much stress resulting in infertility.
AFAIK Taiwan has shown the steepest drop off of births of any relatively developed nation over the last decade.

Name 10. With addresses. I’m sure people would like to know. Since you mentioned places in downtown Taipei, I’d expect these wonderful places to be also in the downtown area. I call bullshit. Unless you’re talking about sippin’ from a 7-11 can on a street corner. And precisely WHAT kind of fun? If you’re going to trash talk, you better have the backup unless you’re content to be sniggered at. “HEY! DUUUUUDE! I’m ona my Asian SOJOURN! MAN! I’m DOWN with these peeps!” Clown. :unamused:[/quote]

Being sniggered by the likes of you on the Interwebs doesn’t really bother me.

I don’t know if I could give you ten, but I could probably give you five or more. Just say what kinds of fun you like, and I may know a place for them and will tell you.
Or, I would, but since your writing thirty thousand posts apparently hasn’t taught you how to get information from people tactfully, I’ll pass.

About enrollment numbers:

According to the Ministry of Education’s figures (if I copied them correctly), enrollments for school year 2009-2010 for primary school (public and private) were 1,593,414; for junior high school (public and private), they were 948,634; for senior high school (public and private), they were 403,183; and for combined university and college (public and private, and excluding junior college), they were 1,228,037. english.moe.gov.tw/public/Attach … 155771.xls

According to the Ministry’s figures (again, if I didn’t mess up), enrollments for school year 2011-2012 for primary school (I guess public and private–this document didn’t separate the two) were 1,457,004; for junior high school (again guessing public and private), they were 873,220; for senior high school (again guessing public and private), they were 401,958; and for combined university and college (again guessing public and private, and excluding junior college), they were 1,250,925. english.moe.gov.tw/public/Attach … 728371.pdf

I’m sloppy with numbers, it’s late, and I didn’t check my arithmetic, but that looks like a decrease in primary school enrollments of 8.6 percent from two years prior, a decrease in junior high school enrollments of 7.9 percent from two years prior, a decrease in senior high school enrollments of 0.3 percent from two years prior, and an increase in combined university and college enrollments of 1.9 percent from two years prior.

I didn’t check the link but it sounds about right. The drop is working it’s way through the system and within 5-10 years college enrollment should start to drop markedly, you can see it hitting the buxiban business already.

The TW govt is going to “save” the schools by allowing students in from China. And then they are going to “save” the population decline by letting in people from China.

Thats what I reckon too. Give it another 10 years to see what happens in that regard.

That is all I hear. That the people buy expensive real estate now to sell later to the Chinese and make big bucks. That teh Chinese will come… and then I hear the Taiwanese want to get to China for the lower cost of living and because the “environment is better for their children”. :astonished:

Well I think they will relax the laws in terms of students coming over. In terms of workers, that’s harder as it would change the voting base and it may threaten local workers incomes.
The meme before was that the Chinese would buy luxury apartments in Taiwan like in HK, that certainly has not proven to be the case in general…and the Chinese property boom and great river of corruption flowing overseas will surely be stemmed in the next couple of years.