House prices in Kaohsiung: are we in a bubble?

Oh, and there is some risk the owners vote to close some (or even all) of these common areas to cut costs. So you might find yourself without a pool and a gym in a couple of years if that happens…

6 Likes

:sweat_smile:

5 Likes

As wrote in another tread I expect prices to fall up to 50 %

Said this, most expensive units in Taipei will be heavily effected, while cheap units in Kaohsiung less

Very much local area, less international (non Taiwanese) places to eat and shop for food, even for me an area I do visit a lot except to see friends. Hope you get see other parts of the city before you buy,

I didn’t notice this part. Don’t believe the “locals”, they sound loco. There is absolutely no indication that property prices would go down in Taiwan.

Goldman Sachs announced layoffs, so did Tesla, In Germany they will close factories in chemical industry over winter. Emerging world is being hammerd by strong dollar. China is obsess with zero covid, in Japan they have huge problem with deflation and lower demographics. Interest rates are raising globally

In the end of day forget all this noise, Taiwan is number one, with strongest economy and smartest people, a place where real estate grows forever.

Well I’ve lived in a number of places around Taiwan and only moved to Taipei 2ish years ago. Taipei is the worst but New Taipei is getting up there as far as mortgage payment vs. rent. I found that, when I was able to find out what my landlord paid for the unit, I was still paying ~20-40% less than the mortgage payment would be outside of Taipei (City and New/County). When you’re talking about down payments that are almost always over US$100,000, that’s a massive loss for the landlord/only widens a gap if you buy. But again, ownership means you’re not dealing with Slum Lords.

Sure. So have I. And I found and bought something relatively close to the rents. Market conditions vary and you should buy/rent what is right for you.

I am not saying those conditions don’t exist. I am saying that your post is way too oversimplified and doesn’t help anyone to paint a country with the same brush.

Ok, apologies for my oversimplification. I have become a cranky old person with regards to my feelings on the housing market here, as I would prefer to own but can’t begin to be able to afford to own in a place that would be worth living in, whether that’s in Taipei or any of the other places around Taiwan that I have lived in that I would consider returning to.