Household registration vs. taxation

Stuff like this blows my mind. Who in their right mind makes a law that most people are forced to break. e.g. in Germany landlords are required by law to give a document that proves you reside there. Why didn’t they make it here?!

3 Likes

The address on the HHR is usually irrelevant. Most Taiwanese live elsewhere, for work or whatever, and they’re registered at a family member’s house for convenience, for voting on the family member who’s running for lizhang etc…

1 Like

yea and according to the HHR office, that’s not legal but 99% of all Taiwanese live like that.

1 Like

That is why taxes and voting are a mess here. We have talked about it here ad nauseam.

2 Likes

That’s me.

I officially support EIGHT people on my earnings according to the tax office. I’ve been paying taxes for eighteen years.

But I am a footnote on the HHR zengben.
I can never get my own registration for my family (under my name ) without citizenship . We constantly borrow HHR off friends of my wife.
By the way none of us can vote either.

Welcome to Taiwan, we so friendly!

3 Likes

Why?
One legislator alone owns over 80 houses.
Wang Jin Pin owns something like 25.

1 Like

So that means people living in Taipei can vote in Kaohsiung elections if their hukou is there. That would piss me off if I lived in Kaohsiung. I heard from a friend that it’s because of the tax cheating landlords. Something about registering a hukou will cause some tax problem so landlords don’t let people do it. Fixing this might actually help a major tax cheating problem in Taiwan and it definitely would help with the traffic problems associated with people having to go across Taiwan to vote. If someone has more insight into this that would help me understand why, I’d be glad to hear it.

2 Likes

One thing you gotta realize is taiwan or China for that matter isn’t interested in enforcing tax codes! It creates huge backlash and people lose votes over this. It isn’t a problem in China since votes don’t count for anything but the best way to get the people against you is to enforce tax codes the same way the IRS does. It’s a fact of life in Taiwan. Why do you think we have a receipt lottery here? Nobody would do that in the US.

The way tax laws are enforced is they go after rich people.

Yea it sucks to have to travel to vote. I have to go to Taichung to vote because that’s where my dads house is located but at least Taichung has good food.

Landlords will let you register there if you been living for more than 4 years I think. They just want to make sure you won’t be a problem. I think that’s reasonable.

1 Like

Most tax is paid by the salaried workers, not rich people. 70% of it.

Most never let you register. Vast majority just say no.
You have relatives , that’s different.

Where are you getting this from? personal income tax is around 20% of total tax revenues. See for example https://topics.amcham.com.tw/2018/08/a-taxing-problem-taiwans-comparatively-high-personal-income-tax-rates/

Last year, 45.3% of Taiwan’s tax revenues came from income taxes (both corporate and personal). Personal income tax receipts accounted for around 22% of the total tax-revenue pie, equaling around 17% of all government expenditures. Business tax contributed 11.5% of the tax revenue, commodities tax 8.4%, and customs duties 6%. (Non-tax sources of revenue include state enterprise profits, fines, and income from public properties.)

This happened to me. I set up a small business legally 100%. I got my ARC through my business and everything. When tax time, I went into the office and they told me that I would need to declare my rent if it was over 20,000nt a month. Since I was paying 21,000nt I informed my landlord.
She told me that this was my problem and that she had no intention to pay any taxes on that unit. She had a 2nd false lease that claimed I was paying only 19,000 a month, just one thousand under the limit to declare. I told her she should just lower the rent or let me register it. She told me to keep paying in cash and not dare declare the real amount or I would be out.
She was so wealthy and owned at least 4 other properties. She did everything she could to avoid paying taxes.
To me that is a big problem here in Taiwan.

4 Likes