Houses in Taiwan (western type)

Absolutely. Even Danhai New Town was built on old farmland.

Lotā€™s of landed houses in Taiwan, just not in the middle of cities, especially the larger cities.

1 Like

Time to go johannesburg style with electric fencing.

1 Like

huhā€¦ i thought taiwan was mostly nuclear power

No. Taipei is Nuclear.

Taichung has that huge coal powerplant.

Kaohsiung is full of factories and refineries.

A typical suburbia-style city in Canada is about 1300-1500/kmĀ²

That means Taipei Proper, would have to increase 6Ā½ times in land mass to accommodate. New Taipei would double

stupid taichung then, everywhere should be on nuclear power, by far the best.

And we go back to the class/racial conflicts I mentioned. Add guns too, couple of torrents, maybe some grenades. That is one step away from shooting anyone who steps on your lawn.

Herein Taiwan I can go walking any time night or day. There are plenty of people around, cameras, stores, stalls, restaurants open. If I feel unwell or face an emergency, I can ask/cry out for help. The neighbors will hear me or if they donā€™t, they will notice my absence. The nearest hospital is not half an hour away but rather 5-10 minutes. I do not have to drive 20 minutes for milk and bread. I have plenty of choices as to which bread to buy and where. It is all connected.

3 Likes

utorrent typesā€¦ xD

It was built in 1990. It was a different time then. Commitments have been made to reduce and phase it out but it takes time. Itā€™s the worldā€™s single largest producer of COĀ²

I do need to correct myself. Newer coal power plants have overtaken Taichung in size. We are now number 3.

Taiwan has three coal power plants.

Less that 5% I think. Only 3 elderly power stations still working and there are plans set to take them offline gradually and substitute them with greener, safer alternatives. Something that will not take 10 million years to decompose nor making deals with North Korea to get rid of the garbage.

Remember this is a highly seismic island and 2 of the 3 plants are prime candidates for a tsunami in case of.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry Marco. I disagree with you.

High rise apartments are shit. They are eyesores. They are noisy, they are crowded, they have no privacy from asshole neighbors who constantly watch your comings and goings. People act like they know you and can speak to you freely and pry into your private life because they happen to live in the same condo community with you. Living in a Taiwanese condo community feels like living in a fucking low class housing project like the Taylor Housing Projects of Chicago. Especially with all the stupid assed security bars on the windows. Feels like a prison.

I lived in a condo when I first came here and it sucked. Thankfully I got out within the first 6 months of that nightmare!

Memorable lowlights of that nightmare:

KTV from the below unit every morning at 06:30am.

Kids running non-stop in the unit above, dropping marbles, toys, etc.

Leaking water from the upper unit and the owner didnā€™t give a shit.

Residents asking me to hold tea time practice English sessions in the community library.

Residents asking me to dress up as Santa Claus for horseshit Taiwanese fake Christmas parties.

People asking me where Iā€™m going, where Iā€™m coming from, whether or not Iā€™ve eaten and what I ate, etc.

Security guards who are worthless, but act like you serve them.

People using the public spaces as if they were their own.

Stairwells crammed with bicycles, boxes and all kind of assorted shit which is a major safety violation.

Sounds of the aircon from other units, water pump vibration, street noises of scooters, cars, trucks, garbage truck music.

The smells (stink) of other peoplesā€™ cooking.

The wonderful summertime smell of the raw sewage evacuated from the septic tanks and dumped into the gutters at night. I mean seriously, the stink of shit in the streets at night! Never smell that?

I just stood out in my inner yard of my home for five minutes. What did I hear, see and smell? The sound of frogs croaking, the wind in the trees and the fresh air and bright stars in the night sky. Not one sound of a car or scooter or some asshole yelling Wa Ga Li Gong!

No way to condos! Kill me first!

9 Likes

I despise every aspect that you like. Especially the part about ā€œThere are plenty of people aroundā€! Suck suck suck.

Sorry.

Still love you though

never heard of this, do all buildings do this, how do they dump it i thought the tanks had no pumps in them

I appreciate your reply! I can understand that these things can be factors in high rise living, they are not prerequisites. Iā€™m speaking from an economist and public good point of view. Your mileage may vary.

However, well-built condoes and well designed communities donā€™t usually have these issues. I live in a suburban one. Itā€™s quiet.

1 Like

The building I lived in did it every night around midnight. I can point out the outflow and gutter that lead straight to the Tanshui River.

Even the ā€œmagical and exclusiveā€ Tien-Mu smells like shit on a hot summer night. Take a whiff!

what gutter and outflow was it? be interested to know.

im surprised they get away with doing that, then again taiwan is pretty lawless so no surprise. Funny how people say this place is first world when stuff like that happens. Here in aus people will winge when u wash ur car on the road because of pollution,

1 Like

Thatā€™s OK. We all need different things. I need safety most.You need people out of your hair most.

3 Likes

Impossible ,there isnā€™t enough land to do that.